Burgundian kettle helm
I recently finished a Burgundian war hat based on the famous fluted example in the Met. My customer wanted to fit it out in the same fashion as those seen in contemporary tapestries, so a gilded plume holder, ostrich plume and gilded liner rivets and washers were added to augment the replica helmet. The helmet was raised from a single piece of 13 gauge spring steel, and care was taken to approximate the original weight and measurements. The finish deliberately included some deep scratches and small spots where errant hammer blows drove scale below the surface plane, in order to simulate the surface finishes preserved on much original armour from this period. The helmet was lined with a hand-stitched, quilted linen liner fixed to a deerskin band inside the helmet. I based the chin buckle on a 15th C example that allows the loose strap end to be tucked in behind the strap the bears the buckle. There are plenty more pictures of the finished work, as well as some documenting the raising and hardening stages which can be found on the Royal Oak Armoury facebook page.

Note that every surface on the helmet is made of anticlastic curves, a form that is resistant to deformation. Combined with its mass and metallurgy, this helmet should offer impressive protection.

-Hildebrandt

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Note how the buckle is attached to the strap, allowing the loose end of the other strap to be tucked behind.

[ Linked Image ]
Rough from the hammer
Very nice
I am a constant admirer of your work.
Outstanding piece of art, as usual!

I have just one question - is the screw, visible on the second picture, historical way for attaching the plume-holder?
Boris Bedrosov wrote:
Outstanding piece of art, as usual!

I have just one question - is the screw, visible on the second picture, historical way for attaching the plume-holder?

I cannot say "yes" with complete confidence, because there are no remaining examples that I am aware of. Still, the hole at the apex of helmets that once sported plume holders or other ornaments are analogous with the holes found in armours where bolts were used to attach reinforcement plates. As for the historical form of bolts, I am aware of two head types - one with a slot, like modern ones, and another with a notch 180 degrees from another notch, so that it could be turned with a special spanner, one of which is preserved at the Royal Armouries in Leeds. Thread pitches are not consistent or as fine as modern examples.

Thanks for a good question Boris; I wish I had a more definite answer. Perhaps someone else knows for certain.

-Hildebrandt
Thanks for the quick answer!

You know, I also try to make some arms and armours, and I always have some difficulties attaching the holders. Although logical, I've never applied screws, always trying to use rivets instead.
As I'm planning two Balkan helmets for this year with plume-holders best attached by the means of screws, your experience is invaluable for me.

Thanks again!
No problem, Boris. I have been watching your yushman project, and look forward to seeing more of your work.
I love watching new pieces from you pop up here!
Gorgeous work as usual, Jeffrey! Each piece of your work is a special treat.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: