Half Hilt Rapier [REPOST]
This is a re-post of a thread that got lost in the great crash of aught-13, but on the upside it gives me an excellent opportunity to post some snazzier photos of this sword.....

It has been quite a while since I posted any finished work...this particular rapier has been in the works for several months, but it's finally finished. Well, almost finished. The larger turk's head isn't quite tight enough, so i need to make a new one. But it will look the same, so here she is.

Hilt and pommel are steel with a wire-wrapped wooden grip. The blade is a Hanwei Practice Rapier cut down and heavily modified in the ricasso area. It measures 36" from tip to quillons, 41.25 overall. It balances about 1" above the guard.

The grip is wire wrap mark 3....the first two didn't get sufficiently groovy, and I kept changing my mind about the wire colors. I'll post some process shots. You can see my solution was to fill the grooves with thin rod, wrap over then, and then pull them out. This left an appropriate amount of slack to get the wire down deep into the groove. I can only imagine other people have better and easier ways of doing this, and I would love to hear about them :)

The hilt is based on an original that I saw in a scanned book, but I can't seem to find the source now. If anyone knows its true identity, please share. Picture below.

As soon as I redo the turk's head, this will be available for sale. Please PM me if you are interested.

Hope you like it.
Code:

Attachment: 117.98 KB
DSCN4952-resized.jpg

Attachment: 131.09 KB
DSCN4973-resized.jpg

Attachment: 78.23 KB
DSCN4972-resized.jpg

Attachment: 128.43 KB
DSCN4970-resized.jpg

Attachment: 103.18 KB
DSCN4966-resized.jpg

Attachment: 107.2 KB
DSCN4959-resized.JPG

Attachment: 123.71 KB
DSCN4962-resized-resized.jpg

Attachment: 109.29 KB
DSCN4951-resized-resized.jpg

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful sword! Thanks for re-sharing!!!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: