13th century Bardiches?
Hello folks,

I came across an interesting illustration that apparently dates to the late 13th century. The image was discovered on a Spanish website and no providence was given, but the armor and surcoats worn by the figures and the style of the illustration's decorative background strongly suggest the date given.

What's weird is that two of these fellows are clearly wielding bardiches! Is there evidence of these weapons being used as early as the 1200s? Not to mention in continental Europe, which seems to be the origin of the image (it looks like a French illustration). Very interested to hear some informed opinions... Cheers!

-Gregory

Attachment: 30.65 KB
LUCHADORES.jpg

They were pretty probably even earlier, in the Rus and further east, though, and possibly in surrounding lands of general Slavic ethnos. And certainly from the XIIIth century onwards.

http://www.freha.pl/index.php?showtopic=1226

As far as late 1200's to 14th century goes, it's pretty well documented in the Rus, as far as I recall.

They begin to be visible in art though, although one may argue if it's more of bardiche, or a voulge. ;)

[ Linked Image ]
[/url]
The Mainz Gospels 1250, also has depictions of Bardiches.

[ Linked Image ]
Or maybe Sparth Axes ? These do seem very similar in nature and attachment to the hafts.

The more evolved Bardiches seem to have more scalloped curves on the their axe blades backs while the Sparth Axes more like very wide/long bladed Danish Axes with the bottom horn reaching the haft and bolted on.
Psalter-Hours of Guiluys de Boisleux. Arras, France, 1243-1246 has a great depiction of what is Bardiche, attached at the haft. Its the guy at the top of the image.

I thought that the Sparth axe is a much larger dane axe, such as the Holkham bible 1320-1350.

Last edited by Roderick Stacey on Tue 08 Nov, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Most excellent! Thank you for the images, gentlemen. The bardiche has always been a weapon of admiration for me, but as a reenactor I've never known a reason to buy one, considering I study and accumulate German articles, mainly. This has inspired me, so I know what's at the top of my custom list! Should look good with mail...

-Gregory
Okay, you guys got me in... :D where to order a blunt bardiche, suitable for some sparring???

Thomas
This is the one that I have made myself. The leather strips didn't withstand much impact, so I am going to bind the blade to the haft with some rawhide.

[/img]
Hello, I want to make one myself.

Does using a 4.5 mm 1045 carbon steel plate is good choice?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: