Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor 'Sexy Beast' Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The beast pounced onto my doorstep two days ago. Here are some pictures - words will follow.

Attachment: 40.39 KB
from the heavens.JPG
From the Heavens it Came...

Attachment: 41.76 KB
cruciform.JPG
Cruciform Imagery

Attachment: 24.67 KB
full length.JPG
full length shot

Attachment: 45.21 KB
blade.JPG
blade view

Attachment: 41 KB
fullers.JPG
fullers

Attachment: 44.08 KB
cross.JPG
cross

Attachment: 42.44 KB
handle.JPG
handle

Attachment: 24.2 KB
pommel detail.JPG
pommel detail 1

Last edited by J.D. Crawford on Fri 09 Aug, 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More pictures...................................................................................

Attachment: 16.01 KB
pommel detail 2.JPG
pommel detail 2

Attachment: 23.21 KB
fuller detail.JPG
fuller detail

Attachment: 42.42 KB
grip detail.JPG
grip detail

Attachment: 33.09 KB
in hand.JPG
sword in hand

Attachment: 29.07 KB
contrast.JPG
contrast with regular sized sword

Attachment: 51.72 KB
crossing blades with tritonia.JPG
crossing blades with another XIIIb

Attachment: 56.42 KB
12th century swords.JPG
gratuitous shot with some 13th century swords

Attachment: 48.92 KB
circle.JPG
encircled
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd just like to say that I'm green with envy over your fantastic collection. Congrats on another extra-fine addition!
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That really is a fine, delicious piece. Blade, guard, grip, and pommel all flow together very nicely. I like it even better than the Tritonia that you pictured with it.

How does it feel in your hand?
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments. Here are my thoughts.

In a word, this is a magnificent weapon. It's hard to convey the visual presence of this weapon in words or pictures. It seems to draw the eye and dominate everything around it. This is something I did not expect or appreciate until it arrived. I think this results from both the overall proportions and certain details, like the double fullers, wide cross, and 'futuristic' (although historically accurate) pommel. Now I know why Craig used terms like 'moody SOB' to describe it.

In terms of historical accuracy - well I can take the blame for any emerging errors in the research, because A&A have followed my specs admirably. The only modification I can spot from my specs is that the pommel is a bit higher and more narrow - but that is not wrong. It resembles more the original sword that inspired this project, as drawn in SAC.

The execution: practically flawless. The underlying geometry of the piece is all very even and well defined.The fit and finish is outstanding. I mean, if you search you can find tiny inflections here and there, but in the same order of magnitude as what one finds in e.g., an Albion museum line piece. Craig wanted to do a fancier grip, but I did not want to go overboard because there is enough visual detail in the steel. The pommel has a very cool shape, but the blade! Well, first of all, they did a great job on the wide flat lenticular cross section of the second half. The distal taper is complex - the blade edges start fairly thick and chisel-like but then narrow in a curvilinear fashion, resulting in the very thin blade further along. However, the central ridge that divides the two fullers retains its thickness pretty much the whole length, likely providing some extra stiffness.

The result is some complex mass distribution, which is good, because yes boys and girls, this is a heavy sword. Its not a wrist breaker (I've had some of those that were lighter but had poor mass distribution). But it is a challenge. Its interesting to compare to another challenging sword I bought last year - Albion's St. Maurice. That sword is lighter, but is balanced more toward the blade with much less concentration of mass near the hilt. So in a way they are opposites. They both can be mastered, but in different ways. The cross-hatched overwrap and angular pins on the handle of the current sword help a lot by firmly securing the grip, although gloves would help (my hands are softer than they used to be). Also the pommel helps to support the weight of the blade against the hand in certain positions, as with other short-handled swords in the Brazil nut family.

So this sword's handling would not be for everyone, but consider this: some of the swords in this historical family were even bigger and appear to be much heavier. For example, one pictured in Aleksić's book has a blade 2.5" longer, starts the same width but with less profile taper, and does not appear to have room for 2 hands. There must have been some very big/strong/well practiced men wielding these weapons. Conversely, you would not want to get hit by these swords, even with mail protection. The optimal striking point is just past the fullers, but anywhere beyond provides a very focused, thin, but heavy edge - optimal for cutting impact.

I said I would compare this to Albion's Tritonia and this came up again (no accident that I crossed them above): both very fine XIIIb swords. The Albion is in fact a bit easier to handle. The reason comes down to blade mass. The beast's blade is just a bit longer, a bit wider (not at start or finish, but at the middle because its profile is more linear), and a bit thicker (at least along the central ridge, and comparing to the longer fuller of the Albion). Taking the cube of these small increases results in greater volume, ergo, greater mass. But they do have a lot in common in terms of basic blade geometry and handling properties, as one would expect. I must say again though, that the A&A sword is very impressive in terms of its visual presence and complex geometry.

In short - Wow! What a sword. I've sometimes perhaps pushed A&A out of its comfort zone - which might tend to be later period swords with diamond section blades. This is an extreme case. If there were any doubts about whether A&A could pull off a sword like this and match or even exceed the best out there in the competition, let those doubts be laid to rest right here

Congratulations Craig and Team - really a marvelous job!

JD (Doug) Crawford
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you break into my house and lay that on my table? Big Grin

Looks like a beautiful addition to your collection. Now that we have a sense of scale with the other swords, it's even bigger than imagined.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug, that's a fantastic write-up. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A&A should update their Custom Page -

They must have several years of great stuff that they could document, including of course, the Sexy Beast. If people could see the custom things that they've made, I bet they would want to go custom with A&A themselves.

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Fri 09 Aug, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Very happy your sword is loved.         Reply with quote

Hi Doug

We are very happy your sword turned out to be what you where looking for. The real challenge when working on these types of orders is to get all the numbers, ideas and expectations to find that spot of happy coexistence in the world of the physical. Sometimes its impossible, but here we where able to track down and discover the answer with some creative and very finessed adjustments.

It can be tough when you're looking at a piece and think well that's got to be close and then you spec it out and your size is nearly there but you have way more weight then you thought. Sometimes that is when you set it down and think a bit before going on. When the belt is on the blade you do not want to be unsure about what the objective is. Eek!

As to Rogers comment yes its a bunch of stuff, several being yours, and I hope to start adding some things very soon.

Craig
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Did you break into my house and lay that on my table? Big Grin

Heh, if I understand right Patrick, sounds like our wives have similar taste in furniture. Of course if I ever do break into your place it would be to grab your P.J. sword, and I would probably end up on an episode of 'America's Stupidest Criminals'.

Nathan; thanks. Always good to hear your encouraging words.

Roger: I second the motion about the custom projects page. How often have you checked that page? Wink

Craig my friend; you always do it well and you certainly brought the magic this time. I should think it helps that our projects have always been based on the best historical specs we could get a hold of - so at least you know it worked under real world conditions at some point. But there's no way you could make this sword light and agile, that just not what its about. I think you nailed it.

Very happy with this one!
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a sword! What a collection you have there as well. Thanks for taking such great pictures. As impressive as large Great Swords or true two-handers are, there is something even MORE impressive, I think, in these "over sized" single-handers like your XIIIb there. Surprised

Fantastic.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been following along here because I truly enjoy " seeing " a project evolve
from one stage to another and finally to completion. Very entertaining as well as
informative thread ( specially regarding the work done by A&A ) ...

Great sword, great SWORDS, combined with excellent photographs makes
for an impressive expose ! B-)

Sidenote : I had an Albion St. Maurice for a time, and could only imagine a giant
of a man wielding it with a semblance of comfort and effectiveness ...
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
I've been following along here because I truly enjoy " seeing " a project evolve
from one stage to another and finally to completion. Very entertaining as well as
informative thread ( specially regarding the work done by A&A ) ...

Thank you Mathew, that's exactly what I've aimed for in these threads (with the help of other contributors of course). I'm not professionally qualified in this area, but after nearly 20 years as a Prof, the desire to impart information in an entertaining way has become deeply engrained in my psyche!

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Sidenote : I had an Albion St. Maurice for a time, and could only imagine a giant
of a man wielding it with a semblance of comfort and effectiveness ...

Did you spend a lot of time with your St. Maurice? I'm not a giant (6' and currently 195 lbs), nor am I as strong as I used to be, and I find it just manageable. But I spent a few years practicing drills with swords like this (with far-out PoBs) on a daily basis, and concluded that is mainly about motor learning. Being wide through the shoulders helps, because that's where the power needs to come from. The other thing is developing a feel for how swords like this want to move. Trying to man-handle a sword like this to move against its design, especially using the arm muscles, will just result in awkward motion and injury.

The current sword is a slightly different story, because the main obstacle here is the mass, not mass distribution, and that's that's hard to overcome through coordination strategies. Great strength would definitely be an advantage with this sword. Right now I'd like to go back 20-25 years to the days when I could bench 300 ten times! Youth is wasted on the young. Sad

One can well imagine that a 13th century warrior, in the prime of his strength and raised from childhood to handle such weapons, could do a lot more with them than we can today through casual contact. You hear about the bone and muscle development of archers, but what about swordsmen?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:

The current sword is a slightly different story, because the main obstacle here is the mass, not mass distribution, and that's that's hard to overcome through coordination strategies. Great strength would definitely be an advantage with this sword. Right now I'd like to go back 20-25 years to the days when I could bench 300 ten times! Youth is wasted on the young. Sad

One can well imagine that a 13th century warrior, in the prime of his strength and raised from childhood to handle such weapons, could do a lot more with them than we can today through casual contact. You hear about the bone and muscle development of archers, but what about swordsmen?

Great strength may not be that great an issue, but great endurance might be as a heavier sword, everything else being equal, will slow down your response times in parries or taking advantage of an opening after a few minutes I think.

Bur with a heavier sword being stronger is a lot better than being weaker. Wink

Oh, and great work Craig and congratulations J.D. in having had made such a nice sword. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor 'Sexy Beast'
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: