Anglo Saxon scabbard
Just thought I'd share some pics of something I've just finished, a 7th century style English scabbard. Core is poplar, lined with long haired sheep, leather is oak-tanned with cord work underlay (showing a typical 'Tiw' design).

The mouthband uses the first reconstruction of the Staffordshire Hoard 'moustache man' foils that I'm aware of, made for me by Dave Roper. Dave also made the pyramids, which I've used as part of the suspension system but not the way you might think. I had a theory, and have now proved it. ;)

Overall, very pleased, as is the customer.

Attachment: 86.91 KB
mv scab full.JPG

Attachment: 205.81 KB
MV scab medsmall.JPG

I would love to hear an expanded explanation of your theory about sword pyramids. Your solution makes more sense to me than others I have seen, but then I do not know much about them and have never used them on a scabbard myself. Are they attached directly to the scabbard? Do they work like a pair of buttons allowing you to detatch the scabbard from the belt?
Scott Woodruff wrote:
I would love to hear an expanded explanation of your theory about sword pyramids. Your solution makes more sense to me than others I have seen, but then I do not know much about them and have never used them on a scabbard myself. Are they attached directly to the scabbard? Do they work like a pair of buttons allowing you to detatch the scabbard from the belt?

Very nice... Even has the radiating lines. Very cool
A very attractive scabbard! Excellent work!
Please, any chance for a few more pics? (closer up of foil, pyramids, cord work, chape(?), buckles(?), but beggars can't be choosers - we'll be happy with most anything :) Also is the red 'wrap' notable?

Regardless, thank you very much for sharing!
Fabulous work as usual Matthew; and congratulations to both yourselves and Dave.

I do find the pyramids and the linen wrap particularly intriguing, and overall the complete object is again lovely.

Reliably great and incredibly researched work.

Tod
Matt,

Fantastic reconstruction! :D As always. Please do provide some more info on how you employed the pyramids.

There's a few better pictures on the Wulfheodenas facebook page for those who are interested.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wulfheodenas/108333802621780

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: