Windlass Scabbard Assistance
I am looking to refinish an MRL leather scabbard. I am in need of assistance as to the best way to strip the paint from the Windlass scabbard without damaging the leather. I know that some folks here have had experience in doing so...I just can't find the previous posts.

Any feedback is appreciated.
I have done this numerous times with acetone (nail polish remover).

First, remove the chape and locket - they are glued on with some pretty brittle glue which will yield rather easily. If you have a problem getting them off, try working down into the space between the leather and metal with a butter knife and twisting gently.

Next, using a rag in a well-ventilated area, rub acetone onto the scabbard and work in small circles. The finish will begin coming off. When the rag gets dark with dye, use another part of the rag.

Once you have the dye mostly removed, use a fine still wool to get the leather finish cleaner. With Windlass scabbards, I have found that they will not restore all the way to a natural leather color, but you can get them close with elbow grease.

Re-dye the leather to your liking and apply your leather finish (gloss, wax, oil, whatever your preference is). Replace the chape and locket using a little epoxy, and you are good to go! :)
If you're using any sort of 'greasy" type of leather preservative..I'd suggest you re-attach the scabbard throat and chape BEFORE applying this..otherwise you may find the particular glue/epoxy won't work very well on the treated leather.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: