History Channel: Vikings
The History channel just released a promo/trailer for an upcoming series called Vikings. Looks to be very interesting, hopefully they will represent the Norse and viking culture and history well. It looks to be a lot like their Hatfeild and McCoy series. Here's the link to the website/trailer http://www.history.com/shows/vikings I'm looking very forward to this :D
Seen a few stills of it. Looks typical Hollywood. Rubbish in other words.

A lot of inaccuracies when it comes to just about everything. Scabbards, clothing etc.
A. Heidalen Skog wrote:

A lot of inaccuracies when it comes to just about everything. Scabbards, clothing etc.

I agree, lots of fur, dirty faces and they're all blonde haired and blue eyed, being a viking re-enactor like you (I've seen your kit, very nice!) and being of Norwegian decent myself, these are inaccurate representations, but hopefully the stories themselves will be alright.

One can only hope for an accurate viking series in the modern day! :lol:
>fur
>leather armor
>non faced shields

why is it so hard for the history channel to make a viking costume that isn't from conan the barbarian

It seems only the poles care to do research when filming historical pieces (legonaire pauldrons and cavalry charges aside)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k_FPPrifDo
The History Channel is so spotty when it comes to the quality and accuracy of their productions. After watching a program about ancient Chinese weapons this morning where it was explained that repeated heating and hammering of the blades, which was referred to as tempering, produced a hard a flexible blade, I quickly changed channels. However, they did produce a very good program by Mike Loads that described life in the Medieval period.

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the promo for the new program as it wasn't available at this time. I would be interested in seeing it but I'm not getting my hopes up that it will be accurate.
Here is a couple of stills:

[ Linked Image ]

Behold the dreaded scabbard on the back. (and an oversized axe)
[ Linked Image ]
BOO to the "back scabbard" and super-wide, weight belt things, and too many knee-high boots.

YEA to the Norman styled haircut in the 2nd pic! (back shaved)
Matthew Harrington wrote:
A. Heidalen Skog wrote:

I agree, lots of fur, dirty faces and they're all blonde haired and blue eyed, being a viking re-enactor like you (I've seen your kit, very nice!) and being of Norwegian decent myself, these are inaccurate representations, but hopefully the stories themselves will be alright.

One can only hope for an accurate viking series in the modern day! :lol:

I wouldn't count on it. History channel has repeatedly demonstrated their ignorance of any European culture between the Romans and about 1600 A.D. In most cases they're no better than movies, and sometimes they're worse. I haven't bothered watching that channel in years.
"I run an entertainment channel first and foremost, which happens to be based on history."
-- Richard Melman, the History Channel UK
I'm so looking forward to the new season of 'Vikings'! But then I watched the promo and saw Ivar the Boneless swinging a 15th century war hammer. Oh well, still better than 95% of the stuff on TV.
History Channel:Vikings
There is a silver lining in all the Hollywood nebulosity, the Vikings are shown as something more than cliched alcohol addled, sword waving wild men, shouting "Odin !" and pillaging. They are shown as geographically curious people, explorers, discoverers of new lands, farmers and tradesmen. The conflict between the "old" Norse religion and the new Christianity is also featured. So there is that complexity and depth. I would say that is something positive, despite the entertainment part playing a main role.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: