Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of sword finds classified as Geibig Type 9 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thorsten Fritsche

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Examples of sword finds classified as Geibig Type 9         Reply with quote

Hello,
I am looking for examples of sword finds that are classified as Geibig Type 9. If you know some examples please share some detail like place of the find, pictures or articles related to that find.

I am considering to have a sword of that type made for me but first I want to gather some more detailed background knowledge.

Thank you very much.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a tough one as Geibig's types are very subtle and precise and are defined by measurements with mm accuracy, so it is pretty well impossible to look at a picture, even a really good one, and asign a type. I do have Geibig's book, so I'll look through it and find you some museum #'s when I get a chance. I think this type falls on the borderlands between Oakeshott type Xa and XI. They share more characteristics with XI but are shorter more like most Xa.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess you have seen the one from Geibig article here on myArmoury features? http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_geibig17.jpg
Thorsten Fritsche

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I did. Do you now where this was found? Is there any further information on that sword?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, I don't have the book so I don't know anything that is not written in the article.
Thorsten Fritsche

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay. I think I need to get the book. Nevertheless, thanks for your feedback, Luka.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I seem to have temporarily misplaced my copy of Geibig's thesis, but I know that that example, like all the swords described, is from within the borders of the "Bundesrepublik Deutschland."

Wait, I found it. That example is from Göppingen. 3 out of 4 of the examples included in Geibig's thesis have very small tea-cosy-in-transition-to-brazil-nut pommels like the one shown in the feature article. The one from Regensburg has a tapered spike-hilt of Oakeshott style 1, the one from Kalkar-Niedermörmter has a similar guard but curved and the one from Duisburg is missing its guard and has a Geibig type 14 pommel. I do not read Deutsch very quickly, I'll see what else I can find out for you. The Göppingen sword has a blade inlay consisting of pairs of transverse lines in the fuller, 3 pairs on one side and 4 on the other, staggered so that the inlays do not line up and weaken the blade.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of sword finds classified as Geibig Type 9
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic