Crusader Monk: Fable Blades Mjolnir Scabbard
Here's a scabbard I worked up for the Fable Blades Mjolnir viking sword. This blade was inspired by Thor's mythical hammer, which is prevelant in the design of the pommel, grip, and guard of the blade.

For a scabbard, I felt keeping it somewhat simple and rustic while integrating some elements of the blade design wwas a good idea.

The scabbard core was made from kiln-dried poplar. with the core being carved to fit the blade properly, ensuring a nice snug fit. The natural hemp cord risers were done in a random spiral theme to match the guard's theme. Once the leather cover was added and these risers embossed, they show a natural texture though the leather and excellent definition due to their height. The cover was dyed a deep black in color.

Since I do not do any work in brass, the simple mild steel chape was heat-blued to a nice straw color and added to the scabbard. This finish matches the sword's bronze hilt and the suspension furniture nicely.

The strap bridge was carved from my 200 year old stock of antique red oak. A simple design emulating the sword hilt was added to the bridge in the shape of a Norse hammer. Copper accents were added to the design for a little flair. The mounting straps crafted from tooling leather and are finished an antique brown in color.

The suspension is an antique tan rubbed oil finish. The strap has been broken in though a special method I use to make them soft and pliable, while maintaining the strength of the leather I use. This method results in a leather which is strong, but broken in like a set of nice used horse reins. The buckle and Chicago screw pivots are solid brass - which left to their natural finish, will patina overtime to match the whole package.

This incredible sword is back on it's way home to Valhalla as we speak. May it serve well in defeating frost giants in the hand of it's new owner! :)

J. E.:

What beautiful work from Crusader Monk!
The quality & beauty of your work is going through the roof, Jonathan. The harmony of the sword with the scabbard is exquisite. As a recipient of a number of your creations, I can only say that I'm not the least bit surprised. The owner is one happy Viking, that's certain

Thanks for showing this.

Jon
Really nice work to pull the theme of the sword together with the scabbard.
A very fitting scabbard for a very beautiful and individualistic sword.

I've admired that sword on Fable Blade's website for a while, I really like the aesthetic. While it is a modern sword, and not quite like any historical sword I know of, it somehow looks like it could fit in to the 10th century very neatly.

The scabbard compliments the sword very well indeed! It can't have been any easy job to marry the two together so well.

How do you get the leather to stick so nicely to such unusually shaped risers? The leather has been formed over them beautifully.
Jack Savante wrote:

How do you get the leather to stick so nicely to such unusually shaped risers? The leather has been formed over them beautifully.

Thanks for the compliments.

Cobblers cement binds the leather to the wood, and makes such patterns adhere easily. I used a ball-point leather embossing tool which forces the leather into all the nooks and crannies - and once there, it stays. Some people wet the leather with water to make it emboss easier, but I don't let water (or water-based glues) touch my scabbards anywhere in the construction process - and my patterns always turn out pretty crisp. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: