Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A handful of knivesDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien, thank you again. You are right - I was too impatient to finish these projects.
In the meanwhile, I´ve bought an old belt grinder from a friend of mine. It´s too small and not powerful to be used for forming the blades, but it´s good for evening and some polishing, so I´ve started using it. Combined with a sand paper it works well. I´ve used it on some 2 knives I´d finished before Christmas (they were gone before I took pictures), and a bunch of blades I posted elsewhere on this forum. Now, let´s hope this work-method upgrade will be visible also on results Happy

Julien, may I have one question: By saying "Then back and forth with a little oil", did you mean that you apply a little oil on the blade, when you polishing it with the sand paper? Does it work better then, and in what sense?

Thanks.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Radovan Geist wrote:

Julien, may I have one question: By saying "Then back and forth with a little oil", did you mean that you apply a little oil on the blade, when you polishing it with the sand paper? Does it work better then, and in what sense?
Thanks.

Great that you got a belt grinder, that's the way to go!

I'm referring to what Boris has set up to do here, finishing by hand. He uses stones but the principles are the same. I prefer to use a strip of sandpaper, glued to a wooden stick. The oil makes the sanding a little more effective. You start with rough sandpaper (40, 60 etc) depending on what you have to deal with, then go finer and finer (at 120, 160 etc), until you achieve the desired polish (usually satin). This technique is long, so I use the belt grinder just to reset the grain vertically down the blade, then once this is done, finishing by hand is not so hard. As usual, with he belt grinder, drop your blade in water often to avoid heat to build up and ruin the heat treatment.

Cheers,

J

Attachment: 221.88 KB
031374906.jpg

Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

great, thanks! I´ll try it with oil and post some results, soon.
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just another small addition to my collection. This time a little bit earlier design, with a whittle tang. Handle is made from boxwood, a thin piece of ash, and horn. It is secured by two brass pins. Blade was made from spring-steel (14 260) last autumn.

Attachment: 132.95 KB
DIY-12c-knife-1.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A handful of knivesDIY Project
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: