myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Penetration of armor with pollaxe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Joshua McGee

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Elling,

Nope. Pass by means go by a persons house-actually to it, usually quickly, in every English speakin' country in the world I have lived/been to, which includes the largest three of them. And as Augusto has said they would have used another verb in Italian if it meant something else. Every Italian and Italian speaking person I know and have asked has replied the same. The benefit of a verb like this is it may have several meanings but none of them from what I am seeing means go around, ever. To me the only recourse is to find a medieval italian dictionary but at the Uni I am at very unlikely they have one. That said unless any one can present real hard evidence I go back to my original statement, there is only evidence Fiore means what he said, pass through.

RPM

For the record, in the American South we say "I'm going to pass by X on my way to Y" in the sense that we are not going to stop, but will just pass it along the way to our destination. If we are going to stop we say "stop by!"
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that is how it works generally but when you say pass by x and that is the full sentence it means stop there. No one is arguing otherwise.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fiore is not alone in stating that harness can be penetrated by polearms.

Di Grassi advises that the partizan will sunder the cuirass. (16th c English translation). The Italian verb is "scindere", which is literally separate but is also translated as "cleave".

You see similar examples in Manciolino and the Anonymous as I recall. The words are trapassare and penetrare, both of which mean "pierce".

Guys, armour is not weapon proof, it is weapon resistant. We are talking about a weapon designed specifically to combat armour. This doesn't mean that every thrust will go through like butter, but it does mean that the men who taught how to use these weapons believed them to be capable of piercing it.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's what I see from Giacomo di Grassi:

Quote:
Therefore, these Partisans were made big and of great paize, and of perfect good steel, to the end they might break the mail and divide the Iron.

About the bill, he wrote:

Quote:
Therefore, providing that this last motion also should not be idle and unprofitable, they added a hook with the point turned towards the handle, with the which one might very easily tear armor, and draw perforce men from their horses.

Neither sentence strikes me as definitive or speaks directly to the subject at hand. I'm skeptical a pollaxe spike could pierce a high-quality, heat-treated breastplate. I've no doubt lower-grade breastplates often failed, but the best ones seems to have been proof against thrusts from all infantry weapons and perhaps even the couched lance.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:

Ben,

Note you are reading the 1590s English translation, not the 1570 Italian, which is quite different in many cases (starting with a different title and no division of "rapier" and "sword", not to mention entire missing sentences.

I've given you the Italian terms used and what they mean. "Scindere means to cleave.

Quote:
I'm skeptical a pollaxe spike could pierce a high-quality, heat-treated breastplate. I've no doubt lower-grade breastplates often failed, but the best ones seems to have been proof against thrusts from all infantry weapons and perhaps even the couched lance.

That means next to nothing, when one considers our data sample. What is "the best ones", and who owns it? The Duke of Bavaria or Hans Ritter, a minor knight fighting a judicial duel with axes? Heat treats are uneven and fail with medieval technology, and when they do the steel is *brittle*.

This isn't like looking at illustrations of bible figures or Arthurian heroes cleaving helms - this is a technical work, and we the same illustrated in simple histories. In the end, we can either trust what the people using the weapons said and illustrated and then test that with experimentation using armours and weapons or comparable manufacture and materials, or we can rely on what we think, based on our assumptions as people who will never fight in battle wearing harness.

To be clear, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the first and foremost thought is to try and pierce a breastplate, but what we can say is that it clearly was not viewed as impossible or even so unlikely as to be notable. (With the further caveat that even piercing the breastplate does not mean it will continue to drive deeply enough to cause a mortal wound.)

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:

To be clear, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the first and foremost thought is to try and pierce a breastplate, but what we can say is that it clearly was not viewed as impossible or even so unlikely as to be notable. (With the further caveat that even piercing the breastplate does not mean it will continue to drive deeply enough to cause a mortal wound.)

Mostly agree with the above and a lot depends on the specific weapon's quality versus the armour quality at the specific point of impact plus lots of other factors:

A) Angle of blow and it glancing off or not glancing off the armour that was shaped to increase the odds of a blow glancing.

B) Piercing would also depend on which part of a poleaxe you are using: The top or bottom spike, the hammer face/prongs, the Bec de Corbin or axe edge depending on design.

C) The opportunity to use a wide full power stroke in a tactically safe way to be able to use maximum force: In many cases such a wide swinging blow would leave you wide open to being outimed. So, only on an already defenseless or distracted target.

As mentioned in many other posts, one would prioritize the more vulnerable areas not protected by plate.

What I envision as possibly the most powerful blow possible would be with a wide swinging full power blow hitting with a stout Bec de Corbin at a perfect angle as having the best odds of actually opening a breast plate like a giant can opener.

This type reproduced by A&A is what I'm thinking of as being the most likely weapon to pierce a breast plate under optimum conditions.

And if it doesn't piece the plate it would still make for a very bad day for the recipient. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole232.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 12 Dec, 2012 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you'd be better off with a thrust from this one: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole217.html

Just my opinion though. I'd love to have the money to buy some polearms and armor and do the testing. Alas, not going to happen anytime soon. Sad

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hanson wrote:
I think you'd be better off with a thrust from this one: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole217.html

Just my opinion though. I'd love to have the money to buy some polearms and armor and do the testing. Alas, not going to happen anytime soon. Sad

Or this one: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole010.html

But I tend to guess that one can get more energy/momentum/velocity into the point of the Bec with a swing than with a thrust with the top spike.

The pointy spikes at the ends should work very well on the maille voiders.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:

Quote:
Therefore, these Partisans were made big and of great paize, and of perfect good steel, to the end they might break the mail and divide the Iron.

About the bill, he wrote:

Quote:
Therefore, providing that this last motion also should not be idle and unprofitable, they added a hook with the point turned towards the handle, with the which one might very easily tear armor, and draw perforce men from their horses.

Neither sentence strikes me as definitive or speaks directly to the subject at hand. I'm skeptical a pollaxe spike could pierce a high-quality, heat-treated breastplate. I've no doubt lower-grade breastplates often failed, but the best ones seems to have been proof against thrusts from all infantry weapons and perhaps even the couched lance.

But nobody knew whether their opponent was wearing a breastplate of good steel which had been heat-treated successfully. They could tell how expensive it looked, and given leisure they might be able to guess something from the appearance of the steel or the reputation of its makers. Dr. Williams' work suggests that armourers themselves had trouble with this. And even a good breastplate might have flaws in the metal, thin spots, or places which had been damaged by earlier strikes. Will McLean has a lot of examples of armour being pierced in 15th and 16th century deeds of arms.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
I've given you the Italian terms used and what they mean. "Scindere means to cleave.

Would you quote the entire passages in quotation? I've yet to come across the Italian version. If the context is the same as in the sixteenth-century English, it still doesn't say much as it's referring to past practice and not suggesting any specific technique. Also, cleaving or dividing suggests a blow rather than a thrust.

Quote:
That means next to nothing, when one considers our data sample.

I base my assessment on the weight of the evidence. Honestly, so much of the data indicate that even munitions-grade breastplates made penetrating thrusts implausible. For quality harness, consider the lack of thrusts through breastplates in the German pollaxe manuals. Consider Fourquevaux's claims that even well-made partisans could do no great deed against armored men, that the harness protected against the partisan, pike, and halberd, and that it made men proof against hand strokes all. The latter two references applied to men-at-arms and thus may have referred particularly to higher grade armor. For plate in general, consider Machiavelli's belief that armor defend against pike thrusts. Consider Sir John Smythe recommendation for halberdiers to strike at the head and thrust at the face - rather than the body - and for pikers to aim for the face or throat - again rather than the body.

Quote:
This isn't like looking at illustrations of bible figures or Arthurian heroes cleaving helms - this is a technical work, and we the same illustrated in simple histories.

In the Italian, does di Grassi ever instruct the reader to thrust at a breastplate in the hopes of incapacitating or seriously wounding an opponent? Above I've provided a number citations from technical works that cast doubt on the prospects of thrusting through breastplates. I acknowledge we've got contradictory evidence - even from technical sources - and I'm sure breastplate - particularly lower-quality ones - failed, probably many times. However, I suspect harness proved impenetrable far more often. (Again, in a technical military manual for field combat, Fourquevaux, a veteran commander, explicitly attributed nigh invulnerability to fully armored men-at-arms and expected incapacitation to come via blunt trauma and thrusts to the gaps.)

It's complicated subject and want to emphasize that. Breastplates vary wildly across time and space, as do the body of human beings. A 1-2mm breastplate of wrought iron is very different animal from 4+mm one of heat-treated steel. The kind of thrust I might give with a pollaxe hardly compares with what a famous strong knight practiced from childhood would deliver. Historical accounts of armor performance always must keep the context in mind. In the late sixteenth century, for example, François de la Noue - another veteran French commander - wrote lances couldn't penetrate harness and that it would take a miracle for any horseman to die from a lance stroke. By itself this seems compelling evidence for near invulnerability, but it comes in the environment of men-at-arms and reiters wearing exceeding thick torso defenses to protect against bullets. De la Noue described the more complete armors of late-sixteenth-century men-at-arms as rendering them slow, clumsy, and quickly to fatigue, as opposed to men-at-arms of earlier ages, who wore thinner, more complete harnesses and strutted about gallantly. While infantry tended to wear thinner, lighter armors, the drive for bullet resistance still inspired some extremely thick infantry breastplates and this context may influence Smythe's take on armor quoted above. (Note how thick the last two breastplates in this study - both circa 1600 - are.)
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing most folk tend to forget..even when Armour was in common, everyday use.it was NEVER intended to be invulnerable. The AVERAGE armour would provide adequate protection in AVERAGE battlefield circumstances. Even if it was 'proofed' armour..it was still not guaranteed..it just 'proved' that that particular segment of the harness had withstood ONE impact of whatever the proof weapon had been. Sure..it is theoretically possible to create a harness that rendered one invulnerable to all the hand weapons you cared to name..but who wants to be a mere immobile statue on a battlefield ?
Pole axes were designed for a purpose..to 'crack the nut' that was a man at arms in armour..and they did their job in the hands of a skilled wielder..it they couldn't, they wouldn't have been such a relatively popular weapon. Practically..it makes no difference to the combats ultimate outcome if the weapon gets through the breastplate., a really solid blow to the helmet, a chop through a leg or arm or whatever..incapacitate the opponant, even for a moment, knock him down..and you have an excellent chance to finish him off.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again, Fourquevaux wrote that men-at-arms in full harness "can not be hurt by hand-strokes" and that the harness "defend a man from the stroke, of Pike, Halbard, and Sword, Crosse-bowe, Long-bowe, and from Stones, and from all other hurt, that may pro|ceede from the enemies hande."

Also note that Fourquevaux described men-at-arms and their barded horses as protected and advised them to target their opponent's unarmored horse rather than the armored men: "Haue you seene how our men of armes haue with their Launces galled the enemies horses in their breastes and sides? being sure that the enemies could neither hurt their persons nor their horses, because that they are very well armed themselues, and their horses are barbed and garnished with Chamfrings and Criniers, which the enemies do want: which is the cause that you do see so many of the enemies slaine, and so fewe of ours."

Fourquevaux wanted and expected fully armored men to feel close to invulnerable. I don't take his statements strictly literally, of course, but I conclude that Fourquevaux believed quality complete harness provided reliable protection against the weapons in question, apparently including even the couched lance.
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To get an answer to this, you have to look not only at fechtbuchs and manuscripts, but primary accounts as well. Talhoffer does indeed show a dague piercing the breastplate on one occasion, and Fiore mentions he can pierce a breastplate, along with other examples Greg mentioned. Since these are the men that were actually using the weapons, I have no reason to dispute their claims.

Except...

Most manuscripts are rife with selling points about the masters' skills, and these are no exception. Fiore is particularly boastful, and Talhoffer looks like he was constantly in need of work, thus the manuscripts not only are pedagogical in nature, (more Fiore's than Talhoffer's, mind you), but were meant to sell the master's wares and promote their skills.

Looking at primary accounts of pollaxe fights in the form of duels and pas d'armes leaves little doubt as to the nature of the weapon: you knocked your opponent down and finished him on the ground, or struck him down once a nice, big opening was created. This is borne out in the manuscripts, repeated in the largest pollaxe manuscript as nauseum (Le Jeu de la Hache), and confirmed by several accounts (the chronicles of Jaques de Lalain, among others). Injuries were sustained by blows to openings (occularia) and joints (wrists) as well as beating someone down through bludgeoning him into submission, with not one, but several, blows.

In short, armour worked. Pollaxes worked. But you still had to work with a pollaxe to injure your opponent. Piercing a breastplate may have been possible, but not likely against a moving, resisting target.

Best,

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A while back Hugh Knight convinced me that the two images from Talhoffer that kind of seem to show breastplate penetration instead refer to striking a gap, piercing perhaps mail but not plate.

Last edited by Benjamin H. Abbott on Wed 12 Dec, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A number of us went round and round on this one a few years ago. In particular, Matt Easton defended his (or more likely Eleanora's) translation of "panceroni" here as breastplate. Matthew Strickland chose to translate "panceroni" as used in a late 14thc Italian context as "haubergeon" in his opus "The Great Warbow." As the term literally means "belly piece" it should not be conflated with breastplate, which appears in numerous Italian texts and inventories as "petto."

I have no doubt I could put my steel pollaxe spike through the typical early 15thC fauld which covers the belly. Through mail? Piffle. Wink

Passare and its derivations, I leave to you Randall. I accept it in this context as defeating the torso armour.

Randall Moffett wrote:
There is some evidence of this in Fiore perhaps. This is under Pollaxe in armour

35 VERSO

Io son posta breve la Serpentina che megliore d'le altre me tegno. A chi darò mia punta ben gli parerà lo segno. Questa punta si è forte per passare coraze e panceroni, deffendeti che voglio far la prova.

Posta breve serpentina.

I am Posta Breve la Serpentina (Short Serpentine Position), I maintain myself better than the others. To whom I give my thrust, the sign will show itself well. This point is strong, for passing through cuirasses (coraze) and breastplates (panceroni)*. Defend yourself, that I want to try it.

Posta Breve Serpentina (Short Serpentine Position)

From Schola Gladiatoria's site. Their translation looks good to me so I can only assume that was what Fiore is saying. Passare really only means to pass or go through so that line itself is hard to missread.

RPM
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

C) The opportunity to use a wide full power stroke in a tactically safe way to be able to use maximum force: In many cases such a wide swinging blow would leave you wide open to being outimed. So, only on an already defenseless or distracted target.

If the bec penetrated plate to sufficient depth to mortally wound, it would most definitely become lodged in the plate. Good luck defending yourself with your axe stuck in a fallen body. Laughing Out Loud The bec is a sturdy hook that can also wound lightly armoured areas.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel,

But that is only one part of the two being penetrated. Even if they translated the one different than you would and the other is mail it still leaves a cuirass there which is being penetrated. From my understanding this is almost always some type of plate armour for the torso at this period in this region.

That said by that point I have been told it is less likely to mean mail than breastplate, So Matthew is might be wrong, not the first time, nor the last... not sure I have ever heard of him being a medieval Italian expert to be honest and when you get down to these little term issues that is what matters. The term is sort of like lorica, armor- usually torso armor. By the late 14th it almost always means a breastplate or some type but 100 years earlier it was clearly mail. Tricky part is in between the firm dates. He may perhaps be right, or wrong, I do not know.

And as I said earlier. If you or any can prove these terms mean what you are saying one way or the other and I will think about it for sure. But after all the reading and hours in translations with various supports- medieval latin, English etc. books covering these languages I can see the terms easily as Matt and CO. translated them. But as I said earlier I can only check a medieval latin handbook at this moment which has similar words that can mean very much what I think they are.... but who knows Italy is a different place and perhaps it is vastly different but I see little reason to shift POV as things stand.

And lastly, no one is saying fighting was without risks and gambles Kel. After all they all were gambling... with their lives and I am sure they did what worked, whatever our take of that is. The question does not relate to that though. His question was it there was any evidence and from my understanding this passage is the clearest I can think of to reply to his answer. Not saying this was his first move in a fight or how it was applied only he is indicating it was.

And I guess we will keep doing the rounds until some person can prove these terms means something than what they usually do mean by the late 14th into the 15th centuries...

RPM
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't dispute the Fiore quotation. It supports my point about context and that plate armor varied by time, place, and quality. Even 1410, armor tended to thinner and/or softer than in Fourquevaux's or Smythe's time. If assumptions about Fiore's age are true, much of his fighting experience would have been with less reliable harness still.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Benjamin H. Abbott"]I don't dispute the Fiore quotation. It supports my point about context and that plate armor varied by time, place, and quality. Even 1410, armor tended to thinner and/or softer than in Fourquevaux's or Smythe's time. If assumptions about Fiore's age are true, much of his fighting experience would have been with less reliable harness still.[/quote

But Benjamin, that's just it - context matters. You are largely looking at late 16th and 17th century sources. Of the fighting texts we have, only di Grassi is even close in period (1570), and we still have no idea if he means harness in general, pikeman's harness, knightly harness, etc. It is one comment, but it is a clear assertion that has precedence with other Italians. However,-the other Bolognese texts are from the first half of the 16th c, and likely represent experience relative to the 1520s or even earlier. Talhoffer is mid-15th c, Fiore is a turn of the 15th c text. So really, I don't see the relevance of Smythe, Fourquevaux, etc in this case, unless the discussion was specifically about Elizabethan era-armours. Further, again, nothing tells us that piercing the breastplate = running a man through. It simply means what it says, I can pierce your armour and cause you *harm*. Armoured combat is as war of attrition, and I think the real lesson the masters are trying to explain is that with these weapons and techniques, even your harness is no sure defense.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
You are largely looking at late 16th and 17th century sources.

What 17th-century sources have I cited?

Quote:
Of the fighting texts we have, only di Grassi is even close in period (1570), and we still have no idea if he means harness in general, pikeman's harness, knightly harness, etc. It is one comment, but it is a clear assertion that has precedence with other Italians.

Cleaving a cuirass with a partisan (di Grassi) isn't the same as passing through it with a pollaxe point (Fiore). The former indicates a blow, the latter a thrust. If you think di Grassi meant thrusting through plate with the wide blade of a partisan, then I'll really be skeptical.

Quote:
So really, I don't see the relevance of Smythe, Fourquevaux, etc in this case, unless the discussion was specifically about Elizabethan era-armours.

Fourquevaux wrote over twenty years earlier than di Grassi, Smythe approximately twenty years later (and was obviously stuck in the past). I can agree the fifteenth-century sources that directly address pollaxe combat are the most relevant; of these, to my knowledge, only Fiore mentions piercing torso defenses with a thrust. The German sources instruct the reader to thrust as the gaps. Note that plate armor had gotten meaningful better throughout the first half of the fifteenth century. Out of curiosity, did Vadi include anything about piercing torso defenses? I assume you would know.

Quote:
Further, again, nothing tells us that piercing the breastplate = running a man through. It simply means what it says, I can pierce your armour and cause you *harm*.

Shallow penetration in plate would be potentially awkward in a duel, as the point might get stuck without inflicting serious injury. I know of at least one account of this happening with a lance. On foot with pollaxes, it would effectively disarm the attacker but grant an interesting lever.

Last edited by Benjamin H. Abbott on Thu 13 Dec, 2012 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Penetration of armor with pollaxe
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: