Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Modern/medieval armour/weapon question for fiction Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Do some research on Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Polymers. Carbon nanotubes are proving to be much stronger and harder than steel, and are being investigated as anti-ballistic armor already. They are also incredibly light. Here's an article on their use as an anti-ballistic device.

http://iopscience.iop.org/0957-4484/18/47/475...475701.pdf

I'll just quote myself here. Here's the science behind nanotubes as ballistic body armor. It has a lot of potential for this very specific purpose. The only time it theoretically fails is if it gets hit immediately by a second bullet before the nanotube can recover from its original deformation.

And most importantly, the OP is writing a work of creative fiction here. Ultimately the choice rests upon the author, and what kind of flavor he wants in his work. The OP used the term urban fantasy. Steel armor might be a little boring or archaic when compared to some other sexier cutting edge technologies.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Does anyone actually have data for these new flexible stab-resistant materials? It isn't possible to determine which is better until a comparison is made against a reasonable replica of historical mail, not the bollocks used in most of these tests.

I don't think it's any better than historical mail--but it doesn't have to be! Modern stab-resistant stuff only has to be better (in terms of protection vs. weight) than the same number of layers in tightly-woven linen, cotton, or wool, and that shouldn't be a very tall order for modern fibres like Aramid/Kevlar combined with the correct weave and structure.

On the other hand, I don't think mail would make the best kind of metal armour for a modern fantasy character. It's effective, yes, but a decent hauberk made with sufficiently sturdy construction to replicate historical levels of protection is going to be fairly expensive, more so if it has to be constructed in a perfectly historical way. For the same price the character could have a partial suit of plate armour (built with the aid of modern technology to dramatically reduce the cost) that provides better protection for vital areas, albeit perhaps with rather less coverage.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
For the same price the character could have a partial suit of plate armour (built with the aid of modern technology to dramatically reduce the cost) that provides better protection for vital areas, albeit perhaps with rather less coverage.

I'd agree if you could find someone with the same level of skill as a good armourer from Milan or Brescia (there are a few today who come close but not many). Otherwise I'd go for my original choice.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Modern/medieval armour/weapon question for fiction
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: