Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The role of fitness in swordsmanship Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:
Ian S LaSpina wrote:
...I think this has a lot to do with widespread avoidance of athleticism in the sport. What's the harm of being in shape? Getting better at your sport? How terrible...

I don't disagree about the importance of fitness and the real possibility strength and conditioning is holding HEMA back, but avoidance of athleticism? This would scare me if I thought this was true. I have never met to someone who practices blossfechten and does not want to improve their physical condition as well as their skill- never.

You are right people do rationalize not making progress as fast as they would like. But sometimes true to the root word, these musings are rational. For example, I have to settle for solo drilling, lifting twice a day and going for a jog most days, I'm sure if I quit my job I could make progress faster but-- that would not be rational. When people try to rationalize making no progress at all, I agree that is absurd, but even those people at least desire to be in better shape.

I think what he is saying is that a lot of people wish to be in better shape, but don't want to actually put in the effort needed. My experience with martial arts is that a lot of people just come to the school, do what they are told to by the instructor, and that's it. This experience also taught me that the people who were really good put in effort outside the school and were physically active. Long story short, being a weekend warrior isn't half as useful as working on the art on your own time and engaging in significant exercise.

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Alen L

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for a bit of a thread necro thingamajig, but I think this is rather relevant for anyone training HEMA. I've done some research. And it really, truly reaffirms that fitness should be a vital part of HEMA.

http://www.hroarr.com/skill-training-vs-stren...mment-5941

Cheers!
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alen L wrote:
Sorry for a bit of a thread necro thingamajig, but I think this is rather relevant for anyone training HEMA. I've done some research. And it really, truly reaffirms that fitness should be a vital part of HEMA.

http://www.hroarr.com/skill-training-vs-stren...mment-5941

Cheers!

Excellent find!

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ancient Greek fitness training. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=640vhOI7Fu4&playnext=1&list=PL92795F6A19999AFB&feature=results_main Granted pankration is a resurrected martial art, but then so is HEMA. I know I always feel like I'm getting more out of my HEMA training if I have been doing fitness training as well. Think about the men who practiced the art in the past, even if you were a nobleman and not a working soldier, you still rode, walked, hunted and lived a more vigorous life than most do nowadays.
“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I completely about the importance of fitness/strength/power, but I just wanted to share the sparring experience of doing quite against a inexperienced partner who I'm sure was meaningful stronger at least in terms of push ups and curls. This was with Lance's single-handed sword simulators in George Silver's style, and when I was barely experienced myself. Despite being physically superior and accustomed to other forms of fighting, he considered himself outmatched at swordplay. That might have changed in an earnest contest, but it enhanced my respect for historical martial techniques.
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think people are still missing the point here. It's not a matter of which is more important, because it's a silly argument. It's a matter of fitness enhancing your ability to develop as a martial artist. It's beyond crazy to say that fitness has no role in a martial art. These things are not mutually exclusive. Fitness will help you develop better as a martial artist, period. It's even more crazy to me to note that HEMA is the only martial art that would even consider discussing whether or not fitness is important... Some people are also mistaking fitness as being a super burly competitive weightlifter... again, silly.

Of course the guy with more experience and skill will be superior in a fight to the fit strong gentlemen who's been taking swordfighting lessons for 1 month. But over time, you will not reach your full potential in ANY martial art if fitness is not part of your lifestyle. If people are comfortable being out of shape and unhealthy, that's their prerogative. But if you want to reach your absolute potential in a martial art, you better become acquainted with fitness and nutrition. This applies to any physical sport.

Doing fitness activities that only mimic what you do in that sport is not enough either. Football players don't only play football to get better, they do intense cardio conditioning and hit the weightroom. Boxers don't only throw punches to get better, they also do intense cardio and hit the weightroom. I can go on and on. You're selling yourself short if you don't take fitness seriously and have ambitions to become truly great at what you do.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The role of fitness in swordsmanship
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: