Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dual wield - two weapon fighting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Scott Woodruff wrote:
Timo, my experience has been that crossing weapons is dangerous in that it makes it easy for ones opponent to control both of your weapons, at least when fighting axes against axes.

That's what I believe too. Later 16th-century treatises on the two swords seldom require that the swords ever be crossed at all; the vast majority of attacks and defences are along parallel lines or on two separate, non-crossing lines.

Only against long weapons is it a good idea. Against short weapons, I don't like it.

However, see http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?94732

Quote:
I will have to experiment with the "X-block" against spear and see how that works. It is indeed really hard to close on a spearman.

I've tried this against somebody who's pretty good with polearms (he mostly studies PHM's short staff and earlier quarterstaff/polearm works). Most of the time I get the spear's butt in my face or ribs; using both ends of a polearm is a really good way to deal with somebody who thinks he can get away with anything once he gets past the spearpoint.

According to the standard jo origin myth, in Musashi vs Gonnosuke 1, Gonnosuke had a bo, and Musashi won using a cross-block/X-block (jūji-dome?). For Musashi vs Gonnosuke 2, Gonnosuke shortened his bo, inventing the jo, and when Musashi tried the same thing again, Gonnosuke was able to bring the butt around and strike. (Of course, the jo was already invented by then, but that's origin myths for you.)

With two-handed spear, I think spear still has a large advantage (so somebody good with polearms should defeat you). But what else are you going to do with short weapon(s) and no shield against spear? Keeping the weapons "independent" just gets you poked.

Well, there are other things you can do (but I think X-block is easier to learn, and needs less skill differential to work). Reach forward and place your weapon against the spearhead, step forward in a spin. You want to roll along the weapon haft, keeping in contact. Arrive at spear-wielder, and hit them. Works best with sword and shield, can work with two weapons, and even with single weapon. Here's a Chinese sword form with some spins that I think are intended for closing with a spear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4musSC80EcY (also at about 0.55 is a nice walking in with repeated blocks).

One end-of-Edo Japanese description of a real fight had successful anti-spear (3 against one, one of the attackers having a spear - not a duel, an assassination attempt). Defender draws katana, cuts into yari haft leaving katana embedded in it, to immobilise it. Draws wakizashi, kills spearman, then goes to kill the other two. (One escaped.)

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Rob Phillips

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

I practise Arnis which incorporates fencing using short blade single handed weapons.

The trick of good Arnis combat is entirely based on fast offset foot placement in order to evade the reach of the oponent's weapon. In the case of a spear and shield, I would consider the dual weilder at some distinct disadvantage.
However, the striking speed and combination blocks and counter strikes would still be effective to disarm the opponent. Certainy plate armour would be a nice substitute for no shield protection but Arnis practise the use of small bucker shields which can be strapped over the elbow or weilding hand for light parrying. Leather armour woud most certainly be preferential to maintain the speed and agility of arnis attacks and dextrous evasion.

In search of the truth
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

Rob Phillips wrote:
Leather armour woud most certainly be preferential to maintain the speed and agility of arnis attacks and dextrous evasion.

hm... Leather armour is often heavier, hotter and less flexible than various period metal armors. Furthermore, if swords, spears or axes are involved leather armor is not armor- if you don't believe me, try it.

(By try it I mean do some cutting of of tough leather targets like armor or work boots, etc)

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal

Last edited by T. Arndt on Fri 23 Nov, 2012 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
Scott Woodruff wrote:
Timo, my experience has been that crossing weapons is dangerous in that it makes it easy for ones opponent to control both of your weapons, at least when fighting axes against axes.

That's what I believe too. Later 16th-century treatises on the two swords seldom require that the swords ever be crossed at all; the vast majority of attacks and defences are along parallel lines or on two separate, non-crossing lines.

Only against long weapons is it a good idea. Against short weapons, I don't like it.

However, see http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?94732

As I see it, crossing the blades in sword-and-dagger styles is a different beast altogether; the dagger isn't usually supposed to defend against anything that the sword can't hold back on its own, so the risk of getting both blades bound and potentially trapped together isn't as serious as in fighting with two weapons of similar length and weight.

Quote:

With two-handed spear, I think spear still has a large advantage (so somebody good with polearms should defeat you). But what else are you going to do with short weapon(s) and no shield against spear? Keeping the weapons "independent" just gets you poked.

Well, there are other things you can do (but I think X-block is easier to learn, and needs less skill differential to work).

The crossed-blade block is easy to learn at first, but the opponent will also easily learn ways to get around it and exploit its weaknesses. At least in my experience the advantage never lasts for more than one or two bouts (if even that; there's no guarantee that the two-weapons guy could execute an effective follow-up to the block).
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, there are other things you can do (but I think X-block is easier to learn, and needs less skill differential to work).

The crossed-blade block is easy to learn at first, but the opponent will also easily learn ways to get around it and exploit its weaknesses. At least in my experience the advantage never lasts for more than one or two bouts (if even that; there's no guarantee that the two-weapons guy could execute an effective follow-up to the block).

It is easy enough to learn ways around the X-block with a spear, but these ways are less effective that what you would do against single short weapon (or non X-blocking dual short weapon). With the X-block, what is basically an easy instant kill against most becomes unavailable (at least less available), and you have to work to hit them.

IMO, the advantage of X-block against spear is lasting. It's not enough for parity, ceteris paribus, but it significantly reduces the disadvantage.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, in my case (or my group's case), the polearms guy explained that he almost always had an easy time dealing with X-blockers since the crossed-blade block only deals with the spear without threatening the spearman in any way, leaving him free to exploit the dead space created on the side away from the parrying blades by using either the other end of the spear or some sort of closing and grappling move. We find that it's more effective to swing both blades/weapons on parallel tracks, the nearer one to parry the spear while the other one aims for the spearman's hand at the same time, in conjunction with advancing footwork. This way, if the spearman attempts to disengage without retreating, he stands the risk of taking a simultaneous hit to his hand, while if he retreats he'd create a tempo that can be exploited. Another method (that only works with swords or long daggers) is to parry out and upwards with the closer blade while the further blade (pointing slightly downwards) finds the spear shaft and lodges it in the crook between the cross and the base of the blade, following up with a glissade downwards onto the spearman's nearest hand. This makes use of the similar principle as the X-block but apparently the spearman doesn't always remember that it can be easily avoided the same way (by going to the other side and striking with the butt).

That being said, I agree that there's probably no way for a two-weapons guy to get a consistent advantage against a spearman of similar skill and experience, and even less so when the combat becomes a massed (rather than one-on-one) affair. Two weapons in single combat (apart from sword and dagger, which is more like one weapon and a half) is either just for fun or a show of superior skill, while in massed fighting it's plain suicide.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Ben Coomer points out, there are several weaknesses with a two weapon style. One of them is that if you try to use or cover with both weapons at once, you will end up with your body square to the opponent. This will allow you to either thrust right trough the gap between the weapons, or strike at the shoulder on the outside.
Especially fun if you are a glaive or daneaxe man.

In the end, you can only use one weapon at a time, without exposing your body. This is one of the main reasons off hand weapons are often shorter than the primary; They are there to save your ass if someone rushes, or allow you to close after a bind.

This is not to say that two weapons can not be made to work. However, you have to be very carefull, and your battlefield versitality drops like a rock. It can be a backup option for a spear/polearm man, once shit hits the fan. Personally I prefer to carry a shield on my shoulder, and use the left hand for grapling.
Yesterday my shield strap broke, however, and I was using my 90 cm broadaxe as a off-hand weapon when I dropped my spear.

The key to doing this sucsessfully is ANGLE. First, you need to make a consious choice which weapon is leading. This weapon has to screen the weapon of the enemy, and your body needs to be behind it. As if you where fighting with a single sword.
The second weapon forms an extention of the primary block. In the same fashion the sword extends the cover of a shield or buckler.
So, move so that your foe can only strike at you from one direction. Cover that direction with your lead weapon, and back it up and/or threaten the foe with the secondary.

Thus, rather than a X block, I would use a "scissor". Left side forward, with the axe held at the top, or sword in hanging guard similar to the Kruch buckler guard. Right hand close to the left, with the weapon forming the top scissor AND threatening his arm/shoulder. Move so that he can not slip his weapon on the outside of your guard.
If he attack you, block, bind and strike with your free weapon, If he does not, either feint him, or close to bind.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:
Rob Phillips wrote:
Leather armour woud most certainly be preferential to maintain the speed and agility of arnis attacks and dextrous evasion.

hm... Leather armour is often heavier, hotter and less flexible than various period metal armors. Furthermore, if swords, spears or axes are involved leather armor is not armor- if you don't believe me, try it.

(By try it I mean do some cutting of of tough leather targets like armor or work boots, etc)

What about rawhide and semi-leather-rawhide mix? Is it possibly a misunderstanding about "leather"?
G. Freeman

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:
T. Arndt wrote:
Rob Phillips wrote:

What about rawhide and semi-leather-rawhide mix? Is it possibly a misunderstanding about "leather"?

Hej!

that really makes the difference - where the classic (=leather) armour is heavy, warm and expensive the rawhide (treated with bee-wax) is light, airy and cheap.

The only thing that could be a problem is water / moisture
- untreated rawhide becomes soft within minutes (=completely sank in the water).....usually 1-2 hour is the top
- treated (bee wax) can last several hours (= completely sank in the water)....usually 12-24 hours is the top

If you keep your armour well (... = protect with mantle during campaign against rain), avoid moisture (=not let it outside overnight waiting for the dew) it can serve you remarkably good :-)

- It is by far the best solution for steppe tribe personal armour
- for Vikings, Germans, Migration period... it can serve as well but man must pay greater attention to protection

It could be interesting to have rawhide lamellar (see mine: http://www.tafl.cz/lamellar-armour/) with leather underlayer (thickness of leather 3-4 mm) beneath...

In that case (comparing to my own experience with only rawhide) I suppose no gambeson is needed ..only a light tunic or a shirt

Forgive me for so much praise to RAWHIDE lamellar....but I am rather satisfied and I want to share and compare my own experience with use to yours :-)
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

G. Freeman wrote:
...- for Vikings, Germans, Migration period... it can serve as well but man must pay greater attention to protection...

Sorry, I'm a little confused. The original question was about a weapon method which turns out to be very rare in the European early middle ages. Now you're adding an armor type which also seems to be unknown to those people? Is this just a discussion of modern martial arts techniques and equipment, or are you trying to tie your preferences and theories to historical people? Apologies if I'm just missing the point...

Matthew
G. Freeman

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
G. Freeman wrote:
...- for Vikings, Germans, Migration period... it can serve as well but man must pay greater attention to protection...

Sorry, I'm a little confused. The original question was about a weapon method which turns out to be very rare in the European early middle ages. Now you're adding an armor type which also seems to be unknown to those people? Is this just a discussion of modern martial arts techniques and equipment, or are you trying to tie your preferences and theories to historical people? Apologies if I'm just missing the point...

Matthew

Hej Matthew!

my reply was ment for previous post by Kurt Scholz in general. He was talking about using rawhide and so I just added my experince with that :-)

In wide .. well I think that for using two weapon at once, one must adjust all to that specific weapon style:

- choose of weapons (two axes, two swords, axe+sword, sword+dagger....)
- choose of armour (which should be light, and/or flexible...)
- choose of movement (which will be very different to standard sword and shield movement)

I personally think that combination of rawhide and dual wield is perfectly balanced...therefore I keep on pushing it to my posts. I know that can can be boring to some of you (who dont share my point of view) and for that I give you my apologize

but I am glad for every ...lets say feedback :-).... you guys offer me.

I think that using rawhide is still much underestimated and so I try to spread it among swordsmen, sword fighters and all others...
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have limited experience fighting against dual wielders but I do on occations.
1: Reenactment fighting (with shield): Dual wielders can take some amount of beating before you successfully land a cut. If you get too close, they might trick you in to recieving a hit with frantic windmill moves. Dual axes against sword and shield is just silly. The shield has greater leverage against hooking so the axe-wielder always end up being dragged into a hit or a nose-bleed.
2: Hema-ish fighting (with longsword or messer, no shield): Dual wielders loose at once due to the fact that they are unable to deflect multiple stabs or high speed sword play. A well placed cut with a longsword or messer breaks any one hand weapon defence regardless of wich hand the weapon is held in.

I have yet to play with rapier and parry dagger but given that your foe also has equivalent wepaons this is a case where dual wielding could actually work. But on a medieval battle field? I doubt it.
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The historical examples, one medieval Irish and a few viking, i posted earlier in this thread do not appear to relate to "battlefield" situations but rather individual combats. However, the use of two weapons would surely involve as much of a disadvantage as the use of a two handed axe, would it not? There are i believe a number of examples from historical sources? So the crucial factor appears to relate to the opponent having a shield?
G. Freeman

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Lee wrote:
The historical examples, one medieval Irish and a few viking, i posted earlier in this thread do not appear to relate to "battlefield" situations but rather individual combats.

Hej Chris,
I can agree with that - dual wield takes (by its nature) place at the situations where you have enough place around you (like duels) or in smaller skirmishes. Its of no use to try that in greater battles - shieldwall is a good example = no space, no use for individual fighting skills... one can survive often by fate only :-)

Christopher Lee wrote:
However, the use of two weapons would surely involve as much of a disadvantage as the use of a two handed axe, would it not?

In my opinion yes and no :-)
the main disadvantage of two handed axe (compared to typical sword+shield fighter) is: lack of defense and lack of speed

its advantages are: greater reach and greater power (it can easily go through weaker defense and still has the inertia to "kill")...and it also works with fear - which is evoked by its appearance

To the dual wield...
its disadvantages (again compared to typical sword+shield fighter): lack of defense, one has to be moving all the time never stopping (no shield to wait behind when problem comes)

its advantages: easy movement (no shield, lighter armour), freedom of movement (with shield you are pushed to stay and atttack from certain stance, and shield itself allows "preferred" strikes while others are more difficult to perform)

Christopher Lee wrote:
So the crucial factor appears to relate to the opponent having a shield?

The relation to the opponents with shield is correct - it is by far the most "typical opponent" and you have the greates chance to face him.

That does not mean I do not want to compare that to other (differently equipped) opponents.... :-)

Joshua R

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
Have you considered looking at eskrima/arnis/kali?
I can't really think of anything else that deals with "dual" or paired weapons except later cases of rapiers.

There was fighting with tomahawk and long knife on the American Frontier (~17th to 18th C).

I can easily imagine early Viking age Scandinavian skirmishers fighting much the same way, sans rifles: With bows and arrows backed by seaxes (standing in for the long knife) and axes or clubs (for the tomahawk).

" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua R wrote:
There was fighting with tomahawk and long knife on the American Frontier (~17th to 18th C).

I can easily imagine early Viking age Scandinavian skirmishers fighting much the same way, sans rifles: With bows and arrows backed by seaxes (standing in for the long knife) and axes or clubs (for the tomahawk).

You don't have to imagine, there should be any number of historical references to consult. I suspect you'll find that Viking era "skirmishing" was done with missile weapons--some guys with bows, others with *shields* throwing javelins and spears! Any skirmisher without a shield who gets close enough to use an axe or knife is going to be at a disadvantage against an opponent who *does* have a shield.

In America, combat with tomahawk and knife would be close combat. I wouldn't consider that skirmishing, even if the numbers are few or the formations loose or non-existent. But then we'll get into arguing definitions, of course! If 500 troops--Romans, Vikings, Zulus, Assyrians, Mohawks, Crusaders, SS Panzer Grenadiers, etc--descend on a village at dawn, kill all the male defenders, carry off all the women, children, and sheep, and burn the place to the ground, they and later historians might call that a "skirmish" no matter what was involved in the way of armor or weapons or formations. But I'll bet the defenders would not!

Matthew
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

G. Freeman wrote:
my reply was ment for previous post by Kurt Scholz in general. He was talking about using rawhide and so I just added my experince with that :-).

You deliberately implied that rawhide lamellar was used by "Vikings and Germans, Migration period". Previous threads have already demonstrated that there is no evidence to support this. There is no evidence that any kind of lamellar was worn by these people.

Last edited by Dan Howard on Sun 14 Apr, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual sword wielding         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:

Well said. The whole point of using metal for armour is that it is lighter than any other available material for the amount of protection provided. In order for leather/rawhide to provide a similar amount of protection as metal it has to be a lot thicker and heavier. If someone wants a type of armour that is lightweight and flexible then the best option is a lighter variant of mail, not rawhide and not lamellar.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew: Quite correct. However, there is nothing to say you can not carry both a shields and a bow. A smaller round shield or a heater/kite shield can easily be slung on the back or shoulder.

Most often, scouts/skirmishes would be equiped with pack hoses, and thus could choose their armament on a case to case basis.
As a general tendency, cultures that engage in skirmish warfare use small shields that can be conveniently carried at all times, and a focus on the individual warrior. And since they are also more likely to be standing on their own in a loose confrontation, warriors form these cultures often carry weapons for all occations.
Take your arab tribesman or scottish highlander: Small round shield, sword, dagger, bow, and/or blinged up musket and pistols, if late period.

Intereestingly enough, Vikings where not(!) kitted as raiders, with their large round shields, spears, and axes. But herein might lay part of their relative sucsess. Heavy infantrymen in loose order make a lot better skirmishers than light infantry in closed order makes a line.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Matthew: Quite correct. However, there is nothing to say you can not carry both a shields and a bow. A smaller round shield or a heater/kite shield can easily be slung on the back or shoulder.

Absolutely! But then, using the shield (presumably for close combat) is not dual-wielding, which was the original topic.

Quote:
Most often, scouts/skirmishes would be equiped with pack hoses, and thus could choose their armament on a case to case basis.

Medieval skirmishers, you mean? I hadn't heard this before, but then my specialty is ancient eras, in which the whole army used pack animals. But ancient skirmishers never really had options to pick from before an action--some were javelin-throwers, some were slingers or archers. Some carried swords, some had shields, some had both. But I've never heard of slingers (or most other troops, for that matter!) selecting weapons or leaving things with the baggage based on the day's projected activities.

Quote:
As a general tendency, cultures that engage in skirmish warfare use small shields that can be conveniently carried at all times, and a focus on the individual warrior. And since they are also more likely to be standing on their own in a loose confrontation, warriors form these cultures often carry weapons for all occations.
Take your arab tribesman or scottish highlander: Small round shield, sword, dagger, bow, and/or blinged up musket and pistols, if late period.

Well, we're back to the definition of "skirmish"! Is it pelting the enemy with ranged weapons at the start of a battle, before the heavies clash, or sniping and harrassing or guerrilla warfare, or simply a small action by any sort of troops whatsoever? All 3, of course, but all I'm saying is that even heavy armored cavalry can be involved in a "skirmish", and that does not necessarily imply that they were in a loose or open formation. Certainly an 18th century highlander can skirmish, though they were generally employed as shock infantry!

Quote:
Intereestingly enough, Vikings where not(!) kitted as raiders, with their large round shields, spears, and axes.

Sorry, what? Since they WERE raiders, it follows that whatever they carried qualified as raiders' equipment. Shield, spear, and sidearm were the gear of line infantry for 3000 years. But like I said, that doesn't restrict the users to one particular role or formation.

Quote:
But herein might lay part of their relative sucsess. Heavy infantrymen in loose order make a lot better skirmishers than light infantry in closed order makes a line.

I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree in general. But I think I've lost the thread of our debate, here!

Matthew

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dual wield - two weapon fighting
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: