Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Is the 'handshake grip' a modern construction? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Note that George Silver used something along the lines of a sabre grip for his variable fight, with the thumb long the handle. He did claim this wasn't very effective for parrying strong blows in his open fight or guardant fight:

Quote:
Remember in putting forth your sword point to make your space narrow, when he lies upon his Stocata, or any thrust, you must hold the handle thereof as it were along your hand, resting the pommel thereof in the hollow part of the middle of the heel of your hand towards the wrist, & the former part of the handle must be held between the forefinger & thumb, without the middle joint of the forefinger towards the top thereof, holding that finger somewhat straight out gripping round your handle with your other 3 fingers, & laying your thumb straight towards his, the better to be able to perform this action perfectly, for if you grip your handle close out- thwart(?) in your hand, then you cannot lay your point straight upon his to make your space narrow, but that your point will still lie too wide to do the same in due time, & this is the best way to hold your sword in all kinds of variable fight.

But upon your guardant or open fight then hold it with full gripping it in your hand, & not laying your thumb along the handle, as some use, then shall you never be able to strongly to ward a strong blow.

Silver recommended using both cuts and thrusts and shifting one's grip as appropriate.

He also tellingly instructed to only use his variable fight and the above sabre grip against the long rapier. Silver hated long rapiers and loved downright blows, but he didn't seriously think you could defeat the former with the latter.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to throw another wrench in the works, I recently purchased a Viking-style sword with an historically accurate grip that was so short I could not get the hammer or handshake grip to work effectively. I ended up using something something like a 'gun grip', shifting the index finger upwards nearly to the point of hooking the guard. So, whatever works I guess.

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=36018
Ryan Hobbs

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, i tend to choke down pretty far. I have an Albion Squire line Viking and a few blunt "Viking" swords, and the handshake grip just feels absolutely natural when using them. I find my edge alignment with my squire line Viking is much better than the next gen sword I have using a hammer grip. I also appreciate the wrist flick that can be used with the handshake grip.
Tom King

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've glossed over but haven't read the whole thread so it may have been addressed, but at least in fighting with a longsword redirecting and counter cutting is far more important than any form of strong block. if you step back and block with the weak of the blade and redirect versus trying to do a hard block like in movies you can counter cut easily.

the hammer grip by itself is extremely limiting and it needs to be remembered that for most fighting I.33 style and assumedly earlier the SHIELD is what you're using to block with, not the sword itself. A loose grip on a sword you only intend to hit flesh, not another sword, is perfectly fine with the proper follow through to the cut.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something occurred to me while cutting some targets with a reproduction Viking sword last month - the use of the pommel and the grip after the cut. While this is a departure from the "hammer vs. handshake" subject, it is related. Using large one hand cutting swords exposes the wielder to the risk of losing the sword due to difficulty removing the sword from the target after some cuts.

While these swords were not the main battle weapon of choice, they were prized, expensive, and very important go the owner especially while being used. Last resort weapons or duelling weapons, in either scenario, retention, or maintaining possession of the sword is quite important.

While cutting some fairly soft targets (large pumpkins) the large pommel was very handy for quickly dislodging the blade from a cut that wanted to hang onto it. Pumpkins I'm sure are not the same as active muscle and bone targets, which would perhaps hang onto the blade a little more....
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nearly all of my swords have blades designed primarily for thrusting. So I find myself naturally grasping their hilts by placing my thumb on the cross, with its tip directed toward the sword's point. I do this whether the sword has a single-hand grip or a hand-and-a-half. It's the same grip I would use in handling a two-edged fighting knife with a sharp point. It would be very awkward to thrust accurately if I held the sword the way I would grip a hammer. Perhaps if I were holding a sword with a Type X or XIII blade I might shift over & handle it as I would grip a hammer. Does the comfort of the grip depend on the planned use of the blade, or am I imagining things?
Jacek Gramlowski

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello guys!
Firstly my post is related for early age only. Second i put aside a grip with finger in front of guard which i believe is fine, even though it is little bit risky.

And therefore for earlier (especially viking)age a so called handshake grip as a standart feature is a new age construct and nonsense...with few exceptions.
I think Matt has summarized it very well. Lets watch his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KOIzQI999w
Plenty of depiction posted here as a handshake grip, are actualy normal grips in extended position. Handshake grip hasnt its pomel under and behind wrist like in those pictures.
Even in "bible" of dimicator the I.33, there is not a single one depiction of handshake grip. All fingers are always depicted in front of pommel. And once again letting pommel get on the inner side of your wrist or loosening your grip isnt miracle handshake grip. In fact the so called handshake grip is very situational. Basing whole system on such situational thing is risky at least.
Same goes for their active viking shield overuse. In this case it is more legit and less situational than handshake grip but again basing whole sistem on one thing is wrong. This one is for another discussion.

Lets get to those exceptions.
Of course such grip is fine for thrusting weapons, sabers/messers/dussacks or other later weapons.

With early medieval sabres and palashes, which are my point of interest, i ocasionaly use it. I believe, it is possible to use it even with viking or other type of early sword.
In first situation, you must be sure that you would be succesful or at least hit oponent or you would end up in his position. Generaly i use it when i have a reach advantage or against much less skilled oponent. Situation looks like this one even with shields and much more archaic weaponry: http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/images/p54stop.jpg
Second situation is harrasing slower oponent with low reach from distance(often without chance of hitting) to read his reactions. Both situations are very rare.

Lets sum it up again.

As some of guys here already posted such grip is very VERY weak both in deffensive and offensive actions. And you would never discover its full weakness, until you go for full speed and power. It is similar with french versus belgian grip in sport fencing but problem is that in early age fighting was far more power dependant and you gain much less reach. Matt pointed it probably better than me in his video.

When you use such grip in full speed and power, you would discover another unplesant feature. It is slow recovery. Simply you need longer time for making another type of movement in both defensive and ofensive way. It is not a big difference, but in full speed combat even little delay could be(and often is) that difference betveen win vs loose, or life vs death, if you wish. You can say, that you dont need to use sword defensively, or you can say you always hit. That idea is however as silly ,as is going to modern conflict without bulletproof vest and helmet, armed only with WW2 repeater gun.

What it gives you in other hand?.. Little bit more reach, accuracy and single use speed.

So in the end: Use it if you wish but be aware, that first oponent skilled in feinting, or good in distance, or tempo play would quickly show you, how bad idea is to depend on it.

[/u]
Geoffroy Gautier

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even if the handshake grip is sub-par or shoddy... so what? People have been doing things sloppily since basically forever. What is the proportion of people in your area to properly use the turn signal? How many people drive drunk, or without their seat belt attached? And its also a matter of life and death, and we have national programs to tell us how to behave properly, which by the way is just common sense, and there are laws and a police to punish us when we overlook them, and yet it's still done over and over again. So give us a break about your theories. It was done, by the very virtue that it can be done. Depictions are unreliable whatsoever, and can't be used as an argument one way or the other.
Jacek Gramlowski

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoffroy Gautier wrote:
Even if the handshake grip is sub-par or shoddy... so what? People have been doing things sloppily since basically forever. What is the proportion of people in your area to properly use the turn signal? How many people drive drunk, or without their seat belt attached? And its also a matter of life and death, and we have national programs to tell us how to behave properly, which by the way is just common sense, and there are laws and a police to punish us when we overlook them, and yet it's still done over and over again. So give us a break about your theories. It was done, by the very virtue that it can be done. Depictions are unreliable whatsoever, and can't be used as an argument one way or the other.

First of all read the last sentence.. Using it isnt bad. Saying, it is some kind of standart is.
Since i am from Czech Republic that proportion of people using turn signal is high, People use seatbelts here and ussually dont drive drunk, because it is severely punished.
Second: Mine post has an informational value supported with 13 years of experience in fullcontact fighting, sportfencing and in some extense hema practising. Matts points similar to mine are supported by even more experience. So its not just a theory compared to your pointless crying of spoiled brat, who in his first time faced reality. What was your point? Dont drive drunk? Bravo! Good one, but you are in wrong forum. Or did you just try to assume mine country is full of drunk people who dont behave well? Then i can give you a plenty of unpleasant info about yours.
In fact, stupid theory is that, which says, you need to end in such position most of the time. Again in short it is bad, you hampering yourself doing so and saying, it is only right way to do so, is plain stupid. If you cant comprehend facts, which show, how bad idea it is, then stay calm.

Or just try yourself swing in full force with viking sword while ending in open handshake grip and then try to get into any defensive position or try to repeat your attack. You will become insecure and slow in defensive and will end slower in repeating attacks. Those little advantages which i(and many of you guys here) have pointed out are not worth in most of the situations.
Now get into second excercise and try to simulate missed cut from full force. You wont be able to do some movements at all.

Or not just stay in your fairytale and practice only in slowmotion where arent theese advantages significant and visible. Btw. practising in slowmo can be handy sometimes. Dont try to do general statements then.
Geoffroy Gautier

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My post wasn't meant for you specially, but to adress that whole theory that "it wasn't done because it's not good". Some people drive drunk in France, some people drive without seatbelt in France, quite a lot of people don't seem to know what turn signals are in France, and this is really not a question of chauvinistic pride but basic fact that people are and have been acting shoddily since man is man. Whatever your degree of experience or expertise is, whatever your conclusions are, my only point is that you can't assume all swordsmen were clever, competent, and performance-oriented. Just as in any population, many were dim, stubborn, or incompetent.

We don't know how each one trained and envisioned training, how serious or superficial they were about it, what role it played in their individual life, etc... We don't know how individual or collective the training was. We don't know what good and relevant or shitty and unfounded hearsays or advices were circulating around in communities. And I don't mean ten or fifteen texts scattered over the course of half a millennium and for a whole continent, I mean fine, granular data, with corpus of at least a handful of texts per "sampling unit" (no longer than 25 years and no larger than a large diocese). We basically know nothing scientifically, it's a bit of extrapolation and a huge lot of wishful thinking.

And even if from actual data we could gather that there was good communication and information exchange among swordsmen, which tended to make practices more homogeneous, standardized and performance-oriented, and less prone to individual fantasy and shoddyness, we wouldn't be much more advanced, as even nowadays, HEMA practitioners seems to disagree on whether or not handshake grip is best, hammer grip is best, or that your grip depends on the situation.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are at least three very different approaches to reconstructing medieval combat that yield different conclusions and assumptions.

1. Tournament-Style HEMA sparring. The gear somewhat limits your mobility (older/heavier jackets and gloves especially), the common heavier gloves are more likely to receive hits that bare fingers would have been protected from by a properly aligned crossguard, the Feder is a mediocre sword simulator (usually improper mass distribution, excessive length-per-weight, often too flexible), and most importantly getting hit is basically inconsequential. The priority is hitting the opponent. If you double, you double. Depending on the scoring system, you can even "win" by points from a double hit.

Consequences: Snipes, overreliance on the "vor" rather than control (of "the center" or the opponent's weapon), reckless actions, lots and lots of hits that aren't clean - either because they were shoddily executed or doubled. Heavy gloves also limit your sensitivity in a bind and your ability to use "angled" grips on your sword. That alone restricts "fencing" and leads to more "bashing".

2. Bloßfechten, usually with blunt swords (currently most prominently done by Dimicator, can also be seen by others, with other weapons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3wfet9yxsE , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBlV4r2wlQ ). Basically no movement restrictions (somewhat limited by the mask of worn), choice of Feder or blunt sword (handling quality varies wildly). Yes, you kinda don't want to smash your partner's skull, wrist, ribs, knee or elbow, but that doesn't make you all that slower. The far bigger impact on speed is self-preservation: you need to be safe, because you don't want to GET hit. That's way more important than hitting the other guy. Depending on who you're doing it with and what school you're in you may end up hitting the opponent with reasonable force ("fencing to the touch") or you may stop your hit either before impact or even at the moment both you and your partner realize that you could land it. The latter (fencing to the opening) is obviously what is required for "safe and sane" practice with sharp swords.

Consequences: snipes, especially to the hands, blade binds, grabs, grappling, far fewer double hits. A Zwerch at speed is obviously not allowed to land (if not wearing masks), but the Zwerch of which Meyer is so fond is often NOT a very safe action. Gripping technique in this type of simulation varies a lot and is very situational. You often end up standing in guard with a "hammer" grip, but as soon as the sword is moving and a bind is established a "forward" grip (call it handshake if you will) becomes relevant.

3. Buhurt-Style Full-Contact fighting (SCA, Buhurt, Battle of the Nations, M1). Restricted mobility (helmet, armor, gauntlets), wide range of simulators, getting hit with a swing or thrust at force usually won't be very painful, and depending on scoring system also won't yield any points (and I think it shouldn't - you're wearing armor, after all).

Consequences: lots of flailing and bashing leading to a grappling situation (which is really what has to happen against armor if you aren't equipped or able to thrust in a weak spot). No finesse in gripping swords whatsoever due to immobile-yet-vital hand protection. Also not really any need for finesse, you're having a melee, not a fencing duel.

Neither of those approaches are perfect, all offer some insight, yet conclusions drawn from one situation don't necessarily apply to a different situation. Yes, the handshake grip makes little sense in a situation where you don't engage in blade binds. Yes, the "hammer" grip has its place in swordfighting, either if you're not concerned about range and blade binds or if your gear prevents it in the first place.

(dis)honorable mention: There are some who engage in contact "Bloßfechten" with sharp swords. While those sometimes claim that they're the closest you could get to a real swordfight, they too have restrictions imposed upon themselves: e.g. wearing a helmet with aventail as well as bulky gauntlets (and, funny enough, ignoring hits to the armored regions), as well as not thrusting at all. (for reference [GRAPHIC] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzLyx779W0 ). The takeaway there is basically "distance is really really important".

Interesting articles for reference:
https://chivalricfighting.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/why-you-should-train-with-sharp-swords-and-how-to-go-about-it-without-killing-anyone/
https://guywindsor.net/blog/2013/10/how-to-spot-the-bullshit-in-any-martial-arts-drill-and-what-to-do-about-it/
http://www.xkdf.org/blog/2016/10/31/triangulation-in-hema
Jacek Gramlowski

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoffroy Gautier wrote:
My post wasn't meant for you specially, but to adress that whole theory that "it wasn't done because it's not good". Some people drive drunk in France, some people drive without seatbelt in France, quite a lot of people don't seem to know what turn signals are in France, and this is really not a question of chauvinistic pride but basic fact that people are and have been acting shoddily since man is man. Whatever your degree of experience or expertise is, whatever your conclusions are, my only point is that you can't assume all swordsmen were clever, competent, and performance-oriented. Just as in any population, many were dim, stubborn, or incompetent.

We don't know how each one trained and envisioned training, how serious or superficial they were about it, what role it played in their individual life, etc... We don't know how individual or collective the training was. We don't know what good and relevant or shitty and unfounded hearsays or advices were circulating around in communities. And I don't mean ten or fifteen texts scattered over the course of half a millennium and for a whole continent, I mean fine, granular data, with corpus of at least a handful of texts per "sampling unit" (no longer than 25 years and no larger than a large diocese). We basically know nothing scientifically, it's a bit of extrapolation and a huge lot of wishful thinking.

And even if from actual data we could gather that there was good communication and information exchange among swordsmen, which tended to make practices more homogeneous, standardized and performance-oriented, and less prone to individual fantasy and shoddyness, we wouldn't be much more advanced, as even nowadays, HEMA practitioners seems to disagree on whether or not handshake grip is best, hammer grip is best, or that your grip depends on the situation.

Hello thanks for more clarified view to the topic. At first time, when i tried to extract info from your first point, it sounded to me like: "Let us be we are doing it our way and we dont care about opinions! You are from country full of drunken people so your opinion does not matter!" Althoug i am not from Poland, my nickname(It is official one and majority of people know me by that name) is bit confusing. I sometimes tend to react like this: https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ZtnwwgF7PpDSmw8/giphy.gif

Now lets get back to your point.
All together it is completely correct. For last part homogenous training is excelent for training basics, but if you are to develop yourself further you have to know your weaknesses and advantages it isnt ease to discover it because especially men (myself included) usually suffer from high ego. Therefore if you want to shine you simply have to throw away things which are unnatural for you and invest in things in which are you good at. But you always have to know as much, as you can, to know how to react to things you dont practice and hopefully using your strong sides..

Just a few examples:
Unarmored combat: If i would have short reach and wont be good at impulsive strike force i wont choose boxing as my main fighting style. I would rather go for wrestling or some kick oriented style. However i cant resignate to box because first guy good at it would wipe out floor with me.
Second and a very common one in fencing i: When i am not excelent in technique or i am not sure to know opponents trick, then i would rather disengage for his technical cutting sequence. Or if i am swift enough i would try to rush in and try to disintegrate or block it, before it starts.
If you would let your imagination work then you could imagine neverending actions and counter actions. My first trainer considered that, as a important part of training and i agree with him. But again if you dont shine in imagination it is better to not doing so.
I just remmembered mine experience while typing about this topic: A long time ago alomost at dawn of my carrier we were learning how to stop a strike by rushing in and blocking elbow. I have never practiced it again and almost have forgetted about it. Then almost nine years later i have lost my shield in one duel and then surprisingly for both me and my opponents i have succesfuly utilized that technique. I have won it because of it.
Now lets get back to original point. Should i build my whole system around losing shield and going for blocking hands and then wrestling? Well it wont be the best idea. Is it completely nonsense? NO, it isnt ,it has its use.

Especially here in Czech Republic there are plenty people practising Rolands system and being complete arogant egoists. They act like enlightened geniuses who have discovered new America or Eldorado or whtever, while they are utilizing normal amd natural ways to cut which plenty of people dont even have to learn. You hear them saying all the time, that this is the only true and correct way to use sword and shield and, you cant fight incorrect. Yet they are complete zeros and fails miserably almost all the time even with odds are on their side. After that they always say that they would certainly win, if this or that or other excuse. And i dont say you should totally denunciate such techniques. They are actually quite handy sometimes. But i have become really alergic when somebody says that this is only true way to do something.
Jacek Gramlowski

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johannes Zenker wrote:
There are at least three very different approaches to reconstructing medieval combat that yield different conclusions and assumptions.

1. Tournament-Style HEMA sparring. The gear somewhat limits your mobility (older/heavier jackets and gloves especially), the common heavier gloves are more likely to receive hits that bare fingers would have been protected from by a properly aligned crossguard, the Feder is a mediocre sword simulator (usually improper mass distribution, excessive length-per-weight, often too flexible), and most importantly getting hit is basically inconsequential. The priority is hitting the opponent. If you double, you double. Depending on the scoring system, you can even "win" by points from a double hit.

Consequences: Snipes, overreliance on the "vor" rather than control (of "the center" or the opponent's weapon), reckless actions, lots and lots of hits that aren't clean - either because they were shoddily executed or doubled. Heavy gloves also limit your sensitivity in a bind and your ability to use "angled" grips on your sword. That alone restricts "fencing" and leads to more "bashing".

2. Bloßfechten, usually with blunt swords (currently most prominently done by Dimicator, can also be seen by others, with other weapons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3wfet9yxsE , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBlV4r2wlQ ). Basically no movement restrictions (somewhat limited by the mask of worn), choice of Feder or blunt sword (handling quality varies wildly). Yes, you kinda don't want to smash your partner's skull, wrist, ribs, knee or elbow, but that doesn't make you all that slower. The far bigger impact on speed is self-preservation: you need to be safe, because you don't want to GET hit. That's way more important than hitting the other guy. Depending on who you're doing it with and what school you're in you may end up hitting the opponent with reasonable force ("fencing to the touch") or you may stop your hit either before impact or even at the moment both you and your partner realize that you could land it. The latter (fencing to the opening) is obviously what is required for "safe and sane" practice with sharp swords.

Consequences: snipes, especially to the hands, blade binds, grabs, grappling, far fewer double hits. A Zwerch at speed is obviously not allowed to land (if not wearing masks), but the Zwerch of which Meyer is so fond is often NOT a very safe action. Gripping technique in this type of simulation varies a lot and is very situational. You often end up standing in guard with a "hammer" grip, but as soon as the sword is moving and a bind is established a "forward" grip (call it handshake if you will) becomes relevant.

3. Buhurt-Style Full-Contact fighting (SCA, Buhurt, Battle of the Nations, M1). Restricted mobility (helmet, armor, gauntlets), wide range of simulators, getting hit with a swing or thrust at force usually won't be very painful, and depending on scoring system also won't yield any points (and I think it shouldn't - you're wearing armor, after all).

Consequences: lots of flailing and bashing leading to a grappling situation (which is really what has to happen against armor if you aren't equipped or able to thrust in a weak spot). No finesse in gripping swords whatsoever due to immobile-yet-vital hand protection. Also not really any need for finesse, you're having a melee, not a fencing duel.

Neither of those approaches are perfect, all offer some insight, yet conclusions drawn from one situation don't necessarily apply to a different situation. Yes, the handshake grip makes little sense in a situation where you don't engage in blade binds. Yes, the "hammer" grip has its place in swordfighting, either if you're not concerned about range and blade binds or if your gear prevents it in the first place.

(dis)honorable mention: There are some who engage in contact "Bloßfechten" with sharp swords. While those sometimes claim that they're the closest you could get to a real swordfight, they too have restrictions imposed upon themselves: e.g. wearing a helmet with aventail as well as bulky gauntlets (and, funny enough, ignoring hits to the armored regions), as well as not thrusting at all. (for reference [GRAPHIC] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzLyx779W0 ). The takeaway there is basically "distance is really really important".

Interesting articles for reference:
https://chivalricfighting.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/why-you-should-train-with-sharp-swords-and-how-to-go-about-it-without-killing-anyone/
https://guywindsor.net/blog/2013/10/how-to-spot-the-bullshit-in-any-martial-arts-drill-and-what-to-do-about-it/
http://www.xkdf.org/blog/2016/10/31/triangulation-in-hema

Hello Johannes!
First of all vast majority of my assumptions and statements are earlier era related as i have stated in my first post.
You forgot one important thing and those are reenactment tornaments. There are a lot of rulesets which vary mostly by country and sometimes in one tournament. You usually cant stab and cant strike with your shield, while holding it horizontally for obvious reasons. There are few areas which are again forbiden from obvious reasonds like groin and face. Area down from knees is not counted. Recently a forearm have become valid striking area, which i apreciate. Your helmet is a placeholder for your head area so you are little bit limited with use of weapon. But since the fight was mainly cut oriented it is not as bad as it could look like. In other hand apart from using some kind of gauntlets and arm protector you are ysing probably the most authentic equipment.
Few examples fof rulesets (a rough translation of their names):
Points: You must strike certain amount of points. after each hit the fight is interrupted much like in Hema. Doubles are not counted and sometimes head(helmet) is worth more points.
Minute: You fight for one minute without interuption (with some exceptions) udges will say in the end who have won. It is judged by scored hits activity takedowns and other values. Very similar with HMB fight ruleset.
Lithuanian Ruleset: You must achieve certain amount of points, but fight goes uninterrupted. (It is my favourite one.)
There are more rulesets varied even more by each country and event.

You have summarized it very good, but unles HMB and similar, the sword and shield discipline is at its beggining stage at best. I am not awared about any competitive tournaments in Sword and shield discipline in comparsion with sword and buckler rapier, sabre, longsword etc. etc.

1) From my perspective the best way to possibly recreate even with some flaws. Especially in this branch you can see that quickness, feinting, and general sword handling are keys to victory. Focusing on to small moving target like forearm, wrists and hands, especially in scenario where slightest of your movement provoke reaction becames suddenly a very risky action here. I dont practise it often but sometimes we put fencing masks on, for fun and better span of possible movements. Guys with this backgroud are usually the most adaptable and i know a lot of guys who practice both Hema and reenactment fencing. Theese guys are often also the most reasonable.

2) Good for training some situations and to get insight in some complex situations. Misleading in others. It was many times statened that to learn to block full force blow you need to practise in full force and speed. Some cuts practised in this way might or might not work well. especially very short ones from bind to forearm area. Worthless for practising armored combat simply because those 50/50 succesfull cuts quickly became 0% succesfull ones. Again i am not saying it is bad, and I have practiced it alot especially in the beggining, when it helped me alot. Later when you want to by succesfull in other fields it becomes less and less important. Best tool for teaching others.

3) Again good and power oriented style.It depends on ruleset (triathlon seems to me the most apropriate one). I have encountered those guys in few occasions. They were often hampered by their armour as you have already written. Also they seemed to be unable to adapt another ruleset, but it could be just my subjective feeling. If you practice it without any other style you would rely on your armor too much and fail in other styles. Their egoists are the worst from all of the branches. Apart from minute ruleset which is very similar to their one i have never practised it.

I know the guys from your honorable mention(not personaly). They have brought plenty of experience ideas and others which none of mentioned styles could ever do. They have debunked Rolands myth about sharp swords biting to each other, which occur only in slowmo practice. They simply stated that, that never happened. If you take a look at theirs longswordplay you could see similarities with hema longsword tournaments. f.e. similar movements, engaging and disengaging in distance etc. unfortunately for us (fortunately for them) without stabbing as you already stated. People should put aside theirs crazyness and political beliefs and they should focus to learn as much as they can from their unique experience.

As you have stated unless some crazy and skilled people will decide to kill each other with sword in hand we wont get the pure data for analysys.
And personaly , although i am not one of them, i consider fullcontact HEMA guys to be closest to the reality as it is possible. BTW. fight against double is going on and there are tournaments which punish doubles alot.

How to spot a bullshit in swordfencing? it is easy.. It always states that it is only true and correct way to fight. Every experienced swordsman will sooner or later realize, that not such a thing exist.

And for the end our (maybe international, i dont know) proverb:
The best swordsman should not have to vory about other best swordsman. He should be wory about the worst one, because he wont know, what that idiot would do.

Sorry for probably a lot of typos.. English is not my natural language.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, Sword and Shield are a weird one in terms of simulation, simply because of the contexts in which such a fight might occur.
Sword + (large) Shield but no armor? Probably a duel, historical "Holmganga" and the like, or a personal feud between (norse) families that escalated.
Sword + (large) Shield + a little armor (helmet, maybe bracers, maybe a gambeson at most)? Maybe a Viking raid on a town with little defense, but I'm pretty sure every raider would have opted for more armor.
Sword + (large) Shield + decent armor (lamellar armor, mail shirt, helmet, maybe bracers and gloves?)? Viking raid or battle in an armed conflict. While I think this is the most likely context we now have the problem that we are wearing ARMOR, so cutting (on the protected parts at least) won't do any good, and thrusts won't do against anything armored with more than cloth (Gambeson, leg wraps)

The important bit is that as soon as we have any armor, the entire dynamic of the fight changes - targets become unavailable, hits can be shrugged off, direct attacks with the sword won't accomplish much anymore. Practicing for unarmored situations and armored situations are two very different things, and the overlap is rather small. That starts already at the realization that a knight with an estoc/longsword in full armor is pretty much just as scary as a knight with a dagger wearing full armor. The reach advantage matters a lot less.

A few more thoughts on the guys wailing at each other with sharp swords:

They are performing duels to first blood within very specific rules. No thrusts, armored head, armored hands that are apparently ignored when struck. It is all about landing one cut, regardless of how inconsequential it is. That's fine for student saber (which they do as well, and that looks pretty decent), but it has probably even less to do with a duel that aims for a killing blow than any Bloßfechten or HEMA tournament.

Now they will argue "we don't care if those self-proclaimed "masters" say that their techniques are "too dangerous" in free play, we fight for real", but really, they don't. If they did, they'd quickly realize that those techniques *are* in fact too dangerous for unarmored sharp full contact freeplay.

Much more interesting were their Gassenhauer duels, about which my only criticism would be: Why did they even hack away at one another? Once the close fighting began it looked somewhat reasonable.

I also don't see how they "debunked" any "myth" about swords being somewhat sticky in a bind. In a wild flailing duel like they have binds don't occur, and the substantial force of impact prevents the blades from sticking to one another. They simply take chunks out of the edge. Whenever a controlled bind *does* occur between sharp blades, they bite.

It's a matter of conviction. You believe that an actual swordfight would look somewhat like a Holmgang Hamburg duel or a HEMA tournament. You may be right or wrong. I do not believe that (anymore). I think Dimicator's free swordplay is probably the closest we've gotten. I may be right or wrong.

We may also both be right AND wrong, as results may vary wildly between individual combatants.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Is the 'handshake grip' a modern construction?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: