passau mark correct or not ?
Hi at all, I would ask other opinions abaut this passau mark in a possibly XVI Century blade .... in your opinion this passau wolf is correct for an antique sword or could be a modern forgery ?

thank you , any help is welcome.

Attachment: 51.86 KB
DSCF4969.JPG

Attachment: 53.15 KB
DSCF4970.JPG

It might be helpful if you posted a picture of the whole sword/ blade. If the sword is authentic ,i would assume that so is your running wolf. I can't see how one would forge a maker's mark onto an antique blade.

There are many variations of the passau mark over the centuries, and there is an excellent chart in Wagner's "Cut and Thrust Weapons". Although this one doesn't seem to exactly match any of the ones pictured, it appears to be similar to one from the end of the 15th century. I suggest you use the search function here ,as there was a good discussion posted about the mark. You should find it under "the running wolf" Hope this helps ...
Yes, it would be neat to see the entire sword.

Here is the plate. There is another history page online somewhere but lost in my memory at the time.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 62.36 KB
wolffromWagner.jpg

Now that I study the chart,yours actaully looks very much like the forth one down on the left,which is the end of the fourteenth century,as you can see. Still,not an exact match. If you can get pictures of the whole piece up,I believe it could definately be narrowed down as to when the blade was made. Just out of curiousity, where did you get the sword? Originals this old are not easy to obtain.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: