Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Regent stripped naked... and then rebornDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Exceptional work         Reply with quote

Stefan

Have to say you created an exceptional piece. I really love what you did with the sword and how fantasitic you did with the leather work. It really makes the piece "Medieval"

We are very happy we could help you with this project.

Best
Craig
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stefan, I am happy to see you share your work on this sword with the people at myArmoury.

I saw this sword a few weeks back and was dumbfounded. It is really very very good work. Not only technically advanced, and executed with a fine feeling for the material, but also an exceptional example of an artistic style being internalized and made personal.

It was a thrill to see it and a very good feeling knowing this sword will be seen and appreciated by others.
Beautiful work!

Thank you Stefan, to beautify an Albion sword in such a spectacular way.
Stefan Hanson

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you fellows...I am blushing from all those ovations...really . Well It is my third try ever of making a scabbard. Yes,Julien it was daring to strip down an Albion and even the one Peter used to own.( It felt very strange, like a sacrilage really, to cut that Albion fishtail pommel into pieces ) In the end it was very satifying to make a marriage between the product of my favorite sword makers A&A and Albion. And Craig and Peter were not upset ! That is my best reward.

Your right on track there Rune. I really tried to make the ornaments flow into each other to keep the whole together but also to show a strong crisp outline which on closer look sort of starts to live and articulate the surface. For me it was also important that the sword did not turn into just a decorative object but still retained a lethal look. It must still be a warriors tool. I do not know if the early medieval custom to name weapons still was used in the 15th century though. What do you think of "Danebiter" ? ;-) ( for everybody else reading this I am now mockingly refering to the centuries long struggle between Danes and Swedes, now almost ended )

The way forward if we want to make reconstructions of medieval artifacts is to study medieval artifacts and sources from the time and even some written sources and actually sometimes restrain ourselfes. Nothing wrong with fantasy swords..It were Highlander and Conan which first ignited my sword interest and I am quite sure LOTR swords do the same for todays yongsters..but today I think the worlds of fantasy and Middle ages should be kept apart aestically. Also we should examine carefully what materials they used and always try to stick to the proper shapes of chapes and buckles and ornamants and not mix different centuries. Imagine a WWII film with Napoleonic rifles ! So it always good to back up with little bit of research.

next time I would like to make a viking scabbard but at the moment I am a viking without a sword !

Stefan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Regent stripped naked... and then rebornDIY Project
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: