Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Conan movie starring Schwarzenegger 2014 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan Renfro wrote:
Darrin Hughes wrote:
I enjoyed Arnie as Conan in 'Barbarian' but Destroyer showed that he could be bloody awful as well. For me it was Milius who made it work, something the later failed attempts would seem to bear out.

Agreed. Conan the Barbarian was a great film because of: Milius’ direction, Basil Poledouris’ score, Schwarzenegger’s acting (or should that be his lack of acting?) and the swords by Jody Samson and Ron Cobb.

Take away Jon Milius and you get Conan the Destroyer.

Take away Poledouris, Samson and Cobb and you get Red Sonya.

Take away Schwarzenegger and all you are left with is Kull the Conqueror.

Agree with all of the above... I'm hopefully they will pull off something awesome... but jaded and skeptical as well.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good in the early promotions, let's hope the execution is good as well.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm. I would suspect that Oliver Stone brought more to the script to Arnold's Conan the Barbarian than Milius. Hopefully we'll get a good writer for this new one.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i was hoping that the film was going to be about the older Conan. the comics i remember reading back in the 80's were all about Conan being an older gray haired man adventuring around still getting respect was he woop some little punk around. portraying Conan as the older man you have much more room for dimension in the character - this could just be a simple action movie stuck with crude lines and catch phrases - but there's so much more opportunity to make it something better than just chop this guy and chop that guy.

i swear if the film shows a plastic prop sword as their main piece i'm going to throw up. the film wouldn't need to be brute to the max, or try to top the gore factor of the originals (something i think hollywood attempted to do with the latest Rambo) there's room for a good story - and go good looking film.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: New Conan movie starring Schwarzenegger 2014         Reply with quote

By 2014 Schwarzenegger will be 66 but that doesn't stop him from playing the role as Conan due to his age.
I hope the new Conan movie will be a blast next year just like the 2011 remake starring Jason Momoa.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Lindfors wrote:
There are actually original stories by R.E. Howard, where Conan is already an older king, feeling the weight of his years, and the scars of his many battles. He is still an awe-inspiring figure, older and wiser, yet still powerful and merciless in battle.

If they choose to go this way in the upcoming movie it's gonna be great. Also, give Ahnuld some credit! He's actually a pretty smart guy, and I really don't think he would re-visit this iconic role of his, if the the script wasn't good. I'm sure they learned something from that disastrous "re-boot" from last year(fingers crossed).

Boy, everything seems to need a sequel or a prequel. The first Conan was the only one I could halfway stomach, Sandahl Bergman helping me there. If they can make him an older war-weary king looking to end his days as a warrior king on his way to Valhalla and they keep the silly corn out of it, well, maybe. Hollywood can't seem to hit the mark with these kinds of movies though.
But It wouldn't be out of place to be an old war-scarred king in battle. Brian Boru for instance was by all accounts a super-badass, and died at age 79 at the battle of Clontarf in 1014, along with most of his relations, although accounts of how he died differ. Something along those lines would be cool, to me anyway. But Hollywood's record being what it is, I am not optimistic. They will probably find a way to ruin it.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some news:
http://www.blastr.com/2014-1-30/conan-produce...unforgiven

Sounds pretty good so far...
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As long as it's not yet another damn "character story" about Saving The World, I'll be at least partly satisfied.

Not holding my breath, though...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Conan was not "saving" the world. He was conquering it Happy
well, let´s keep our fingers crossed...
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure Hollywood will find a way to screw it up, but I'll still see it. I just hope they have the good sense in this movie to have Conan punch out a camel!
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
I'm sure Hollywood will find a way to screw it up, but I'll still see it. I just hope they have the good sense in this movie to have Conan punch out a camel!

You know, Howard's Conan was not exactly a nice guy, overall, but slapstick comedy by way of casual and pointless cruelty to animals is seriously not a thing I'd expect from him.

But then, the cinematic "Conan" has never born any real resemblance to the original character (although Momoa was a step in the right direction, and the kid who played him in the intro was getting damn close to perfect until the script dictated that he stop being awesome) so, I dunno, whatever.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree completely with Mikko that the movie versions of Conan are so far off the mark from the Howard books.

I always thought they took the Conan character from Howard and turned him into a bubblegum version for the movies. The Conan character in the movies is nothing like the original.

Non Timebo Mala
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not just Conan. Hollywood seems incapable of successfully translating any of Howards characters to the movie screen. I don't think they have anyone who will take the material seriously. Howards work needs it's own Peter Jackson to champion it.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
It's not just Conan. Hollywood seems incapable of successfully translating any of Howards characters to the movie screen.

True - Solomon Kane got character assassinated about as hard, Kull had to do with a rightfully rejected and nominally revised Conan script (irony!) and Red Sonya has never been seen outside her debut story (Red Sonja is a completely different character created by Marvel Comics).

I still say the best Conan movie so far is The Sword and the Sorcerer, and the best Howardian movie 13th Warrior (it honestly feels like a genuine thematic sequel to "The Road of Azrael" or one of his other historical adventures).

Quote:
I don't think they have anyone who will take the material seriously. Howards work needs it's own Peter Jackson to champion it.

Yeah, seriously, what a Howard adaptation really needs are a writer, a director and a producer (just one of each! ONE!) who actually know and care about the source material beyond just lifting some names from it. Bring Momoa back - he has the acting chops, the physique, the moves, the presence and actually studied for the role unlike anyone on the production team - and give him better material to work with. Maybe gut an executive or two. NO SAVING THE WORLD PLOT, NO ORIGIN STORY, NO INDENTURED BADASSITUDE. Resurrect Polidouris for the score. Get Weta on the props, whatever it costs. Andy Serkis must play a giant ape (and/or possibly a giant serpent, I'm sure he could pull it off either way).

Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry but if the Conan movies had their own Peter Jackson they would possibly be even further from the source material and even miss the themes of the books while gutting and changing all the characters because the movie makers think they know better than the original author.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Sorry but if the Conan movies had their own Peter Jackson they would possibly be even further from the source material and even miss the themes of the books while gutting and changing all the characters because the movie makers think they know better than the original author.

I was not attempting to make a direct comparison, but rather that the material needs a serious director to take it seriously.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
It's not just Conan. Hollywood seems incapable of successfully translating any of Howards characters to the movie screen. I don't think they have anyone who will take the material seriously. Howards work needs it's own Peter Jackson to champion it.

A Peter Jackson interpretation would be interesting!

"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: New Conan movie starring Schwarzenegger 2014         Reply with quote

We will never know when will the new Conan movie, The Legend of Conan, start its production. However, the writers and producers have been confirmed.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
William Scheuch

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It should feel like we are in hyboria, not another kevin sorbo tv POS.

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:
and i know it would be a tall order to ask but bring back the original sword!

Yes, and bring back the original Poledouris soundtrack!

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Conan movie starring Schwarzenegger 2014
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: