Nepalese kukris
MRL's sister company, Atlanta Cutlery, is offering antique kukris from the Royal Armoury in Katmandu for sale in their latest catalog. Since I've wanted to acquire a kukri, but hadn't ever gotten around to purchasing one, I decided to take a chance on AC's claims and see what their "antiques" were like. The traditional "longleaf" kukri arrived yesterday and I must say that I am more than pleased. The knife is clearly an antique and somewhat shows its age. There are a couple of minor nicks in the handle and the blade shows some scratches, but is otherwise in fine shape. The kukri I received weighs in at 1lb 14 ounces. The knife's overall length is 19 inches: the blade itself is fifteen inches and the wooden grip 4 inches. (The grip might be a problem for someone with big hands to handle.) As for the blade itself, it is razor shape, the finish is rough (forge marks are evident), there is writing in some script unknown to me on the top edge, (AC says it's Devangari) and as I mentioned above has some nicks. There is no date of manufacture on the item I received.

The romantic in me would like to think that the wear is the result of cutting Afghan throats perhaps, but the historian in me understands that it more likely comes from digging cooking fires or cutting material for shelter.

With some hard work, the blade is beginning to polish up nicely (the cosmoline it's packed in takes a long time to get off)and the grip is soaking up Murphy's oil soap like a west Texas desert after a frog-strangler. All in all, the kukri will, I think, make a fascinating display piece.

At a cost of $171.00 including shipping, this interesting kukri is well worth the price. I recommend it to anyone thinking about making this purchase. It may not be as pretty as a piece from, say, Himalayan Imports, but it is a nice piece of history.

Regards
Nepalese kukris
Kukris are still carried by Gurkha soldiers currently serving with the British Army in Afghanistan.
I think you're right, Michael. The Gurkha soldiers even use kukris to slash the throats of their enemies in that country.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: