For Sale: Original c16th /17th cabassette helmet
This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Major clearing of the toy box in process. First up is an original late 16th -17th century cabassette helmet.
The helmet was originally purchased from an English dealer in the 1970's who sold a group of them to an Australian collector/dealer. It was claimed that they were recovered from a chest in an English church in the 1920's. I unfortunately have no way of verifying nor disproving that story.

The helmet is munitions quality with all of the working visible inside. There has been a repair to the top of the helmet where the armorer has either blown out the top or it has been damaged ( probably dropped by a clumsy pikeman but if you want to believe it was from a sword cut go right ahead ) It has been patched from inside and riveted from the inside and the outer face ground to present a smooth profile.

The previous owner cleaned away part of the black "paint" from the inside to expose the repair. I suspect that the interior blacking and the strip of thin webbing fitted over the rivets to be fitted when they were sold in the 70's I have handled several helmets from the same source and I have no reason to not believe they were original. I had used this one in museum education programs as the interior hammer marks and the repair made it a great 'hands on' piece.

For images visit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blingschmidt/sets/72157631443679038/

Only $1100 including postage to USA or Europe
Damien

Price drop to $950 including shipping to USA or Europe

Final price drop $850 AU including shipping.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: