Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spanish Montante trainer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Emil, from the one photo you have of the underside of the quillons and block, that looks like solder to me. I don't find that strange on a guillion block its a way to make things solid. but that is a very odd break. I don't weld yet, but it looks to me like it was butted together and joined. I would however believe that a weld (stick, oxy, mig etc) would have enough penetration that you wouldn't be able to tell its two separate pieces. a stress crack/break I would suspect would be a break all along and tang, this seems to have broken along the shoulders of a secondary indentation (probably made to fit into a narrower grip a little better).

you have shinny metal on the face of the tang, but where the break is, its tarnished and blackened. looks flat from the pictures, a clean break or shear should look almost torn as the metal stretches away from itself until it fails. don't hold me to it, but in my opinion from the photos, it looks to me like the tang was butted together and joined using sliver solder. i could be very wrong, you can tell if its solder it you take a very fine needle file and give it a few scratches it would clog up right away.
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will try to send these photo to Armenteros himself to see if he can give us some answer.
Descanse En Paz
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel,

You might be right about the soldering, I really don't have any experience to go by to make any judgment. I don't have a suitable file at hand to try it out. Anyway, The Time Seller has offered me a full refund of the sword if I could ship them the broken blade + crossguard, which I will do. I don't think I'll later go with another sword from Armenteros. I wouldn't want to risk this happening again, which is a shame since the sword's performance otherwise was very good. The proportions, weight and balance worked very well with Figueiredo's rules.

Foong,

Feel free to do so. I didn't know you could contact Armenteros directly.
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I managed to ran into his personal facebook page so I can message him directly. Which he replied. "Hi Eric, Yes is a big fail in construccion,so much grinding and not enough welding,,"
Descanse En Paz
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can only give my opinion from what I can see from the photos, it could be a bad weld job, but it just doesn't look like a weld to me.

if it was mig/stick welded, and a filler was used, the butted ends should have been beveled so the added filler had more surface area to bond to.

a fusion weld by oxy/acetylene would look like the butted ends were simply melted together (from what I know this is a very weak weld).

even though this would break my heart if it happened to me - a fail such as this one can be fixed, although the design should be improved. for where the tang is broken welding the two pieces back together wouldn't effect the HT of the blade, and a tang doesn't need to be HT anyway. defiantly remove the secondary shoulders of the tang, I ran across a photo of an original lately it showed a failed grip of the sword at the off hand grip near the pummel. it was bent pretty well, but what surprised me was how little the tang of the original was, it only look like it was a 5/8 in rod.

regardless, it really stinks. but this makes me wonder if there is a way to test a tang on a completed sword, other than test cutting or drilling with it.
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Foong,

I'm a bit surprised by Armenteros' answer. If he could spot that flaw in those pictures shouldn't he have gotten it before the sword was assembled? I was under the impression that he made the swords himself, or at least inspected them. Thank you for asking him about it, though.

Daniel,

As I said before, I wouldn't trust this sword again, or really not any of Armenteros' swords right now. The blade coming loose like that in the middle of a swing is too dangerous to risk, it slammed into a brick wall behind me and took a little piece out of it. There are other recognized makers out there who I will be giving a chance instead.
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again,

I got a full refund for both the sword and the shipping I paid to get the broken sword back to The Time Seller. The vendor's service is very good but it's such a shame that the sword failed the way it did. I sincerely hope I get to find another that feels as good. Or perhaps even better. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spanish Montante trainer
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: