Vendel period sax
Hello! i am just finishing a piece hugely inspired by a Bjars sax and pieces from Valsgarde.

the blade is welded wrought iron and HC steel, the handle is boxwood and brass, raised brass ferrules, carved in Salin II style. OAL is 465 mm

the scabbard is ash, with brass furniture, a lot of rivets there

your commenst are welcomed

Attachment: 64.21 KB
DSC04535.jpg

Attachment: 110.64 KB
DSC04536.jpg

Attachment: 78.12 KB
DSC04537.jpg

Attachment: 83.18 KB
DSC04538.jpg

Attachment: 91.61 KB
DSC04540.jpg

Attachment: 68.26 KB
DSC04541.jpg

Attachment: 73.75 KB
DSC04542.jpg

wow!

:surprised:
Petr,

I know nothing about Vendel era saxes, but I can appreciate fine craftsmanship when I see it!
Holy stabbing northmen, Batman! That is fantastic work you have done there! Especially the wood work.
Great looking Seax Petr.

Is that tar you are using to fill the recess of your carving?

Cheers,

J
WOW! More great work Petr! I like your work more with each piece. Keep the good stuff coming!
Seax
I second everyone else. Petr, a bit outside of my era of collecting, but it is stunning to say the least. I would be very proud of it and I envy the new owner. This just repeats what I have said before, but your attention to period detail plus wood and leather work just put it over the top. Too bad I found you so late in my collecting period.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Muse on Fri 19 Oct, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
That is absolutely stunning! Is it just an illusion of the photo, or is there a slight downward drop to the blade?
EXTRAordindary Petr

Fabulous.

Tod
That looks great! Every time I see more of your work waiting for my seax gets a little harder.
Wonderfull work Petr!
Your carving has always been good but this is spectacular. Metalwork also. I like the organic touches, think ancient stuff should not look too perfect. Well done. Thanks for sharing it.
Bjars seax
Well done Petr,
I can't believe I hadn't seen this post.
Am I correct in saying the scabbard is Bjars27? I know there is another very similar one to Bjars 27.
I am not at home so I can't check, I recognise the scabbard from 'Waffen und Graber'
Very nice work indeed. I did a similar scabbard for Deiter, some time ago.

Love the hilt work too.

The whole thing is very nicely executed.
Bruce
Excellent work Petr.
An inspiring piece.

Paul
thanks gentlemen!
I like the graceful, flowing lines of that blade profile. It has a "sleekness" that I'm not accustomed to seeing in a Seax!

The detail work in the pattern welding and the carving are nothing less than what I've come to expect from your work!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: