Age of English Rondel Dagger
I have been lurking the forum for two years and finally decided to ask a question. In early 2011 I inherited a large collection of antique weapons. My father was a well know collector who specialized in the Spanish, English and French Colonial periods. I am working on a virtual on-line museum of his collection. Right now I am researching the age of a Rondel Dagger. My father purchased it during a trip to England in the mid 90s. He told me that it was found in London's Thames River and dated from 1350. Do you think this date is appropriate?

[ Linked Image ]
Dana...

Welcome aboard. For information about Rondel Daggers check the Spotlght section of the Features page of this site. It has a piece on the Rondel Dagger which may help to answer your question. The dagger may well come from that era.
Thanks Lin,

That page is one of the reasons I am asking here. After reading it I am still a little unclear on the age of my example. I have read Harold Peterson book (Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World) too. There just aren't many examples of 14th century Rondel Daggers.
I am no expert, but I would say that the scale tang, use of a pommel rather than a second rondel and double edge blade are consistent with a 14th century rondel. 15th century rondels are far more common than 14th though, and all of these features can be seen on some 15th century rondels as well. Very nice piece, I really like the shape of the pommel.
Thanks Scott. Here is a closer look at the pommel.

[ Linked Image ]
That is a very interesting piece.

The rear pommel rather than rondel is a very 14thC feature for rondel daggers. In some pictures the blade looks double edged and in others single, but double edged were common for the 14thC so that would fit.

I would say that the pommel is likely to make it 14thC

Tod
Hi Dana
how about some square on shots of the blade and a few dimensions, overall length, blade length, width etc. A very nice thing to inherit.
Phil
The Blade is diamond shaped with hollow grounds. An engraving of what looks like a nine point star can just be made out on the blade side.

Overall Length: 12 1/2 inches
Overall Width: 1 5/8 inches
Hilt Length: 4 1/8 inches
Blade Length: 8 1/4 inches
Weight: 8 1/2 ounces

[ Linked Image ][/list]
Thanks for the information :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: