Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th Century Pavises Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 
Mike G

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, I donīt forget the pictures. But I am still working at 8 pavises at the moment. But the middle is already carved. When I will start the next ones , I will make Pictures for you.

Best regards
Mike
Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am looking for grips for 15th cenutres pavises , but not Y-shape. The best with handle for forearm.
Any source?
Yours faithfully
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a bit at a loss over the many shapes of pavises. It seems a Pavise is a special construction of a shield with a central ridge of shaped soft wood and otherwise glued planks for non-curved surfaces. Is there a different definition?

There are two applications, giant standing and small and handy. The giant standing ones are carried and can be propped up.
The smaller handy versions are individual protection for close combat.
I'm not sure if there's a kind of middle ground, a carried, not handheld, pavise that is quite large and utilized with a fighting style that moves around this "wall" - utilizing a short sword - under duress. This would reflect the requirements of crossbowmen who need cheap armour and a chance to survive an enemy rush at them.
The handheld small pavise is sometimes shown in combination with a long metal faced spike. It would make sense if you hold that item and don't consider your legs top targets. It can serve in close combat by dictating an opponent when he can't close under cover of his large shield. Are there any ideas what this is for?
The protruding "ram" on the top of many large standing pavises makes some sense for combining into a roofed shield walls, additional to the rings and hooks, but I've seen no depictions of such shield roofs. Any other purpose for them?

The Flemish pavise depicted here is a completely different shape, so far I've seen no application of this idea other than mounted combat of lancers and tournaments. Why should this be typified a pavise? Same goes for the rounded burgundian pavise.
Alex Kay

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Thought we should share our New Pavise         Reply with quote

Hi all, we have just finished our new Pavise, and thought we should post a link to our website with more information on it.. ...

http://www.pastons.com/projects/the-pavise

Alex
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex,

That is lovely. Well done. The painting on it is extraordinary!

RPM
Alex Kay

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Randall, we are thinking what to do for the next one... but I must say it was possibly the most enjoyable project we have done to date... Happy
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very pretty Alex. Enjoyed the article on the Lubeck jack too. Some people have a lot of patience...

Griff

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Alex Kay

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hiya Griff, fancy seeing you here... Happy

thanks for the compliment... time is not a issue when finances are not involved... part of the luxuries of being a hobbyist..
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Peter Finer catalogue is a nice piece of scholarship! You can find another translation of the passage by Pavel Zidek on the page with 'pavises' in its name on this index page

I can't link directly to the page because the URL contains one of the words which is automatically replaced with a link to a myArmoury feature.

www.bookandsword.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th Century Pavises
Page 9 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: