Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Windlass Viking Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Crusader Monk: Windlass Viking Sword         Reply with quote

This Viking piece has been long discontinued by Windlass Steelcrafts, and yet another customer purchase from the Bruce Brookhart collection.

I wanted to try doing a strap bridge, since I have yet to do one in the shop. I had a small piece of 200 year old red oak salvaged from a broken antique table leg which I carved into a simple strap bridge. The wood patina is natural, it has only been waxed for preservation. I did a little file work by hand to add detail. To test it's strength, I stood on it - and I assume if it will stand 250 lbs, it can withstand daily wear. Laughing Out Loud

I created the kiln-dried poplar scabbard core, and wrapped it with leather over simple risers to give it a simple, but elegant aesthetic. The cover has been dyed a rich black in color and finished to a semi-gloss sheen. I then affixed the strap bridge with two tooling leather straps dyed a dark tan to accent the wood color. The chape is mild steel, cut into a simplistic shape to accent the rather acute tip of the sword. The chape was left with a mild antique finish, with a little heat bluing still apparent.

The hardware on the sword was given a light patina with cold blue. I then drew the finish back on the guard and pommel, leaving the recesses in the pommel darkened to accent them. I finished the furniture off with a 600 grit satin finish. The peen was touched up to make it better blend with the sword itself.

The grip was redone in black 1oz pigskin, corded, dried, and waxed. Two latigo risers near the guard and pommel were added under the leather.

The baldric is crafted from 9oz leather, dyed black; with a single steel buckle.

Years after the fact, this Windlass Viking Sword is ready again to set out on an adventure! Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I have read, this is one of the best Windlass viking style swords they produced. I like the way you fixed it up.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Windlass Viking Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic