Go to page Previous  1, 2

Johan Elder wrote:
I only have 3 sharps in my collection so far; as I have been focusing on getting HEMA gear for the last year; but I do have a great sword among them.

It's an Angus Trim XIIa.1

Scabbard and grip done by myself.

Johan, I really love what you've done with that sword, it's a beautiful set up.

Here's a very close relative as my contribution to this thread: my Angus Trim XIIa.4 done up as an "Austrian Great Sword" by Christian Fletcher. The pommel was ornamented by Sean Stevens.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
My DT 5143. Bought it 2nd-hand from a club in the UK and it is a part of my educational collection, so people tough it all the time. It is aged and not shiny, looks like a working sword. This is why the scabbard is basic and rustic, the rivets give it somewhat 'gothic' look.

Attachment: 51.28 KB
DSCN7353.JPG

Attachment: 79.73 KB
DSCN7354.JPG

Attachment: 96.5 KB
DSCN7355.JPG

OK, so here is the reason I don't intend to buy any more great swords. At all. Michael Pikula's XIIIa:

Attachment: 137.83 KB
DSCF2190.jpg

Attachment: 146.59 KB
DSCF2191.jpg
Can you find the blade?

Attachment: 161.31 KB
DSCF2192.jpg
The sword is ridiculously large. Large enough that it's tricky getting full shots...

Attachment: 157.82 KB
DSCF2195.jpg

Attachment: 166.8 KB
DSCF2197.jpg

Attachment: 145.15 KB
DSCF2199.jpg
Size comparison against an Albion Sovereign...

Attachment: 105.14 KB
DSCF2204.jpg
And providing some sense of scale (although to be fair, I am quite short)

Attachment: 121.25 KB
DSCF2208.jpg
Blade tip on the floor, pommel comes up nearly to my shoulder
Hi Josh, I love the pics! Thinking of that sword made me giggle a little bit :) Ahhh, I was sad to see it go, but happy it found a good home.
Josh,

That thing looks to be truly a beast and makes the XIIIb Michael made for me look small! :eek: Have you done any cutting with it?

Good to see you on the boards Michael. I've been away for sometime and wasn't sure if you were still making blades.
Michael: I can imagine that letting it go was a bit painful. I certainly wouldn't want to do so. It's in a niche of its own. I was just lucky to already have had some funds ready to go when you put it up as one of the items in your auction! Thanks again...

Scott: Oh, I have. Absolutely. Could you own a sword like that and *not* cut with it? That would be... a level of "wrong" that verges on immorality, I think! I haven't done it a lot, though - and when I have it hasn't been vigorous. I'm not trained or anything. But it does glide through bottles very smoothly even in my amateur hands. It does require very precise edge alignment, though; it's pretty easy to end up with a wobbling baseball bat if it's even slightly off.
Mildly customized Valiant Armoury Savoy

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Josh, I am really envious. Mr. Pikula, your work is amazing. :surprised: In spite of all the other beautiful swords in this thread I am fixated on the uniqueness of this giant sword's proportions. I am curious, where did the design come from?
Michael Parker wrote:
Josh, I am really envious. Mr. Pikula, your work is amazing. :surprised: In spite of all the other beautiful swords in this thread I am fixated on the uniqueness of this giant sword's proportions. I am curious, where did the design come from?

Michael,

you can find more about the sword, and its history, in these threats:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...+oakeshott
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23945
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...kula+xiiia

It really is a wonderful piece.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: