Go to page 1, 2  Next

Show Us Your Great Swords
In the spirit of the other threads of this type, show us your Great Swords (a period term relating to large swords). By Great Swords, I mean the big, broad cutters that work best with two hands. In the Oakeshott world, these would be the Type XIIa and XIII/XIIIa and related forms.

Even if someone has posted pics of a model you own, please feel free to post your own so we have multiple views to peruse. :)

To start, here are two that are/were in my collection:

Albion Baron:

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 48.76 KB
2142full2.jpg
Del Tin 2142
Yay! I like the long blades!

A Windlass with a homemade pommel ring and a Windlass crossguard-

[ Linked Image ]

Windlass blade with Celtic Knot Forge furniture-

[ Linked Image ]

DelTin with Iron Wolf Forge furniture-

[ Linked Image ]

I did all the grips.

Did I mention I like them in the Irish style? :D

Murphy :cool:
The Baron is truely a great sword aside from the fact that it's a Great Sword.
Here's a brown hilt (in case you don't have black shoes to coordinate with your own). Sword ownership is all about accessorizing.

Attachment: 32.51 KB
baron_small.jpg

My stock photos of my two ATrim swords. Ye olde XIIIa "no name classic" and an eight inch grip on the AT1319 XIIa platform. Head to head with an Albion Baron, the 1319 performs much the same way on mats while being lighter at just 3lbs. The old XIIIa was never a slouch either and lighter still at about 2lbs 12oz. While I have not been cutting much in the past several years, it was the XIIIa with which I was able to cut unpegged mat stumps. I am sure a lot is familiarity over time.

Disregard the Del Tin hovering near but that will show the scale well, as the Del Tin is 51" overall.

Maybe more pictures one day.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 53.94 KB
blackbird.jpg
1319 showing condensation fresh from a snow bank rifle case delivery

Attachment: 21.08 KB
trio.jpg

My Gen2 12th century sword (got bent and I got refunded):

[ Linked Image ]

My DT2142 in three forms, original, modified, modified further and modified even more ;):

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

And finally my Hanwei Great Sword of War, peened:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
An Espada Eslavona:
[ Linked Image ]
This is my biggest sword. I made alle the parts of the handle myself, and it was my first experiment in such a regard. It came out a bit clunky as I tried to put the balance further towards the handle. Also the design is a bit unauthentic, i found the shape in a book, which I later found out did not have the historic basis i thought. However it has since sort of grown on me so I haven't had the heart to dismantle it..

Attachment: 24.39 KB
til net 1.JPG

Attachment: 22.08 KB
til net 2.JPG

Marc Ridgeway wrote:
Laird ... a XIIa mounted as a Irish Ring Pommel .... my design , Lundemo's work .

Just a stunning piece in my humble estimation...

I agree. 100%

I'm in the process of designing a UNIQUE Irish crossguard and I'm having quite a hard time coming up with something distinctly Irish, but, one-of-a-kind.

Yours came out beautiful.

Stunning, indeed.

Slainte!
Murphy :cool:
U. M. Třnner wrote:
This is my biggest sword. I made alle the parts of the handle myself, and it was my first experiment in such a regard. It came out a bit clunky as I tried to put the balance further towards the handle. Also the design is a bit unauthentic, i found the shape in a book, which I later found out did not have the historic basis i thought. However it has since sort of grown on me so I haven't had the heart to dismantle it..

It's not completely ahistoric. Pommel and cross are fine and similar blade can also be found on historical swords...
Rob Miller:
[ Linked Image ]

Jeffrey Robinson:
[ Linked Image ]

John Lundemo:
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by William Swiger on Sun 14 Oct, 2012 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
William,
I'd call your Earl a longsword, and she's a beauty. I guess we need a thread for longswords. :)

Great swords are generally earlier, and generally cutters of Types XIIa and XIII/XIIIa.
Michel Pérusse wrote:
An Espada Eslavona

Hello Michel,

Is this the Del Tin piece? If so, how do you like it? Fit and finish, balance, handling characteristics..? Very curious. Cheers!

-Gregory
Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Michel Pérusse wrote:
An Espada Eslavona

Hello Michel,

Is this the Del Tin piece? If so, how do you like it? Fit and finish, balance, handling characteristics..? Very curious. Cheers!

-Gregory

Hi Gregory,
Thank you for your interest.
No, it is not one of the Schiavonesca by Del Tin. The blade is from a VA-Trim practical longsword first generation, the hilt parts are by Yeshua's Sword and the handle & wrap are by me.
More pictures here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=132&start=1078 (scroll down a bit)
This blade, being a first generation of Valiant-Trim practical longswords, has a flattened diamond section at the tip (I believe they have a spatulate tip now), thus not making it fit squarely into Type XIIa. But, I presumed it was close enough to a great sword -like many schiavonescas, even if from a later period than the "golden age" of great swords XIIa and XIIIa- to fit in this thread.
Thanks for the reply, Michel. It's a lovely sword. Thank you for sharing!
William: that great sword with a brazil nut pommel by Rob Miller is very well executed, very nice. Eventually, I'll need such a type in my collection.

Gregory: my pleasure, glad you like the sword.
I only have 3 sharps in my collection so far; as I have been focusing on getting HEMA gear for the last year; but I do have a great sword among them.

It's an Angus Trim XIIa.1

Scabbard and grip done by myself.

[ Linked Image ]
This is one of my favorite classes of swords and there are alot of gorgeous examples here. Here are a few of mine to add to the display.

Since the type is a little fluid, I'll start with ones that have the words "great sword" in their model name.
Albion Crecy GS
[ Linked Image ]

An older DT and of course the HT GSOW
[ Linked Image ]

Then move to a few that are on the edge for length or width but still within the zone of great swords IMO.
Lundemo Sword of Hope
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Customized DT
[ Linked Image ]

And maybe a tad short, but a great shearing cutter nonetheless....
Atrim MM
[ Linked Image ]
Been away for awhile and thought I would add my one greatsword. It is an Atrim 4123 Type XIIIa cutlered by Christian Fletcher. Not bad for the first sword I ever got. My others are all single handers.

Forgot to add that everyones swords look great! Though I have to admit that Marc's "Laird" is breathtaking. I simply love it and it really makes me want to have John make me a ring hilt of some kind sooner then later.
Here is my Del Tin 5143 type XIIIA warsword. with scabbard made by Crusader Monk

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Steven Janus on Wed 24 Oct, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: