Custom Handmade Scabbard: Albion Laird 10/14/2012
Hello myArmoury community,

I'd like to share another scabbard recently completed. This one for the title mentioned laird. An intended 'aged' look, the hilt was aged and grip re-colored. The scabbard was built with a highlander / clansman in mind, with superior leatherwork to create an old world aesthetic appeal.

Please feel free to chime in and let me know what you think, or if you have any questions. More can be seen here: http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/custscabbs/BKAlbionLaird.html

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
I love the clean, simple look that you gave this piece. The aging looks great as well.... and gives me an idea for my next commission. Email on the way :D. Great job as always Brian.
That looks superb! Can you tell me more about how you got that old leather look?
I really like this scabbard. The strapping matches closely with images of period art from the later 13th C and early 14th C, but are not commonly seen on modern reproductions. I also like that this scabbard is neither over-decorated nor over-tooled, which gives it a lot more authentic feel to me than what many customers request from Brian.

Nice work Brian- elegant and understated.
Brian. Wow! I honestly have to say that I think that's the nicest scabbard I've seen you make. It just looks "right". No tooling, no designs. Just an honest, functional scabbard. I think if the owner were to jump in a time machine and go back this scabbard wouldn't look out of place at all. Bravo sir.
... your scabbards ... the quality of your work ... have LONG since spoke for themselves. B-)

I now find I tune in to see the quality of your photography as well ! Great pics ...
In light of the recent discussion about scabbard decoration, this is a breath of fresh air. The crisp execution of this scabbard and its utter simplicity puts me in the same mood that it does Mr. Corbin. Truly, a piece worthy of a museum display. Well done, Brian, as always!

-Gregory
Ed S. wrote:
I love the clean, simple look that you gave this piece. The aging looks great as well.... and gives me an idea for my next commission. Email on the way :D. Great job as always Brian.

Thanks Ed. I look forward to another commission with you.

Bruce Cass Cameron wrote:
That looks superb! Can you tell me more about how you got that old leather look?

Thanks Bruce. The aging process is many years of practice with coloring, buffing, roughing, well you get the picture :cool:

Craig Peters wrote:
I really like this scabbard. The strapping matches closely with images of period art from the later 13th C and early 14th C, but are not commonly seen on modern reproductions. I also like that this scabbard is neither over-decorated nor over-tooled, which gives it a lot more authentic feel to me than what many customers request from Brian.

Nice work Brian- elegant and understated.

Thank you Craig. I appreciate your input!

Matt Corbin wrote:
Brian. Wow! I honestly have to say that I think that's the nicest scabbard I've seen you make. It just looks "right". No tooling, no designs. Just an honest, functional scabbard. I think if the owner were to jump in a time machine and go back this scabbard wouldn't look out of place at all. Bravo sir.

Thanks Matt. When coming up with the concept for this scabbard, my gut instinct was exactly what you see. I get a lot of requests for tooled work, but I knew this one would be best without.

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
... your scabbards ... the quality of your work ... have LONG since spoke for themselves. B-)

I now find I tune in to see the quality of your photography as well ! Great pics ...

Thank you Matthew. I really pride myself in my photography, though I don't claim to be an expert. Just good enough for my scabbardwork ;)

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
In light of the recent discussion about scabbard decoration, this is a breath of fresh air. The crisp execution of this scabbard and its utter simplicity puts me in the same mood that it does Mr. Corbin. Truly, a piece worthy of a museum display. Well done, Brian, as always!

-Gregory

Thank you Gregory. It's very rewarding to hear I've captured a 'look' to a scabbard that merit's a museum quality reference :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: