Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Quick question about Japanese kusazuri Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Quick question about Japanese kusazuri         Reply with quote

On the sengoku daimyo site, the author says that the kusazuri plates were usually cut as trapezoids, with the exception of scale ones. But the majority of the kusazuri I've seen have been cut as rectangles of graduating size, and most of the exceptions were on somewhat unconventional Edo looking armours.
Can anyone help clarify this?
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jojo, I will take some measurements when I can and see if the kusazuri on a couple of armors I have are actually evenly shaped or if the sides are slanted.
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate your help.
Looking around some more, I've noticed more examples that seem to have trapezoid shaped lames, but these still seem to be the minority.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question about Japanese kusazuri         Reply with quote

Jojo Zerach wrote:
On the sengoku daimyo site, the author says that the kusazuri plates were usually cut as trapezoids, with the exception of scale ones. But the majority of the kusazuri I've seen have been cut as rectangles of graduating size, and most of the exceptions were on somewhat unconventional Edo looking armours.
Can anyone help clarify this?

Jojo, here is a picture of three kusazuri from an ashigaru armor, the individual plates are rectangles, except near the bottom of each plate were there is a curve in the bottom edge, the edges are of equal measurements. The plates are all about 2.75 inches high, with the top plate being about 5.75 inches in width and the bottom plate being 7.5 inches wide, this makes the whole kusazuri a trapaziod as each panel is around 7.75 inches long from the top plate to the bottom plate and 5.57 inches across the top and 7.5 inches across the bottom.

Here is the exact quote from Anthony Bryant's web site.
Quote:
Kusazuri were hardly ever cut as straight rectangles. They are trapezoids. When you lay out your pattern, remember that there will be a 1/2" overlap from plate to plate, so take that into account when measuring and cutting. Otherwise, you will have kusazuri that have a jagged-edged appearance. Of course, if your kusazuri are of hon kozane or kiritsuke zane (i.e., scale or pseudo-scale construction), then they actually are rectangles.

I think that Anthony was saying that the kusazuri panels are trapezoids not the individual plates, to accomplish this you simply have to make each row of plates a little wider than the last plate as in the kusazuri I have posted images of.

Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright, thanks. I wasn't certain of my interpretation of that quote, since it could be read with way.
It should be simple to modify the kusazuri lames I've already cut out.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Quick question about Japanese kusazuri
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic