How can I learn about a dealer's reputation?
Hi Gang!

As a brand-new collector, I am planning my first sword purchase from a large English dealer whom many of you likely know and well-regard.

That said, I don't want to mention the dealer's name here, and wonder how I can get feedback regarding how their expertise is generally viewed in the sword-collecting community?

Or, put another way, how seriously their certification certificate accompanying my sword would be taken.

Thanks!

David
I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Thank you.
Have you read our hands-on reviews?

Have you searched our discussion forums and read people's impressions of the work and the consumer experience?

This site is full of information from the entire community spanning dozens and dozens of vendors.

After you've done your research, if you want to ask a question about a vendor's products, the consumer experience with said vendor, or any other question surrounding the vendor, simply ask it of the community and see what you get.
... I think that you misunderstood my post!

I am talking about a dealer specializing in original historic arms and not modern reproductions which, after reviewing the section you refered me to, seems to discuss.

If asking a question about feedback regarding a dealer in "Historic Arms" in the "Historic Arms" section is wrong, then please direct me to the section where my question should be posted.

Thank you!

:mad:
David F wrote:
If asking a question about feedback regarding a dealer in "Historic Arms" in the "Historic Arms" section is wrong, then please direct me to the section where my question should be posted.

The Historical Arms Talk forum is for discussing Historical Arms and Armour. Discussing dealers, reputations, and credentials is not the same as discussing armour and weapons, so the Off-topic Talk forum is still the correct location.
David,
I don't understand how we can give you an opinion of a particular dealer if we don't know his name. There are lots of dealers in genuine antique arms in England; I know a few with whom I have had dealings but I cannot help you unless you tell me who you are concerned about.
Neil
David F wrote:
... I think that you misunderstood my post!

I am talking about a dealer specializing in original historic arms and not modern reproductions which, after reviewing the section you refered me to, seems to discuss.

Thank you!

:mad:

If you are relatively inexperienced, you have to be very careful with “antiques” weapons or armors. You need to do your research. Find out how long the antique dealer has been in business. Verify with the Better Business bureau in regards to complaints or pending lawsuits against the dealer. Basically, you need to find out if the source is reliable. That being said, if you are looking for a reliable source, and not have to worry whether the piece is a counterfeit , I would suggest the following auction houses.

http://www.czernys.com/index.php

http://www.hermann-historica.de/db2_en/

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/list.html

http://www.lot-tissimo.com/en/cmd/lan/l/en/?P...eqfhqgia94

Whatever you do however, do NOT buy any “antiques” from ebay.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: