Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion moving in new direction... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 03 Sep, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're a cruel man Bjorn Wink
Scott Byler

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Peter's drawings         Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of these for a long time now, but I guess it really isn't too strange that I'm attracted to the new Albion Viking swords.... It seems that I once picked out my favorite styles from a page of Viking sword designs that Peter did that was posted to SFI. I remember thinking how hard it would be to choose one of those if I had to (not like I had the cash to worry about that choice, though). So I picked the 2 favorites and painted them up a bit just for fun. Didn't really finish the painting all that much, and clean it up, but I noticed the rendering for the first time in a long while tonight and realized that these designs are very much like a couple of the Viking models Albion is soon to produce. Funny how that stuff works out, and me having no spare cash *still*.... (Peter, hope you don't mind my tinkering with your drawings.... just thought they were nice and was wondering what they'l look like with some color added... Happy )

Attachment: 42.8 KB
vikingswords.jpg

Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Peter's drawings         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
I hadn't thought of these for a long time now, but I guess it really isn't too strange that I'm attracted to the new Albion Viking swords.... It seems that I once picked out my favorite styles from a page of Viking sword designs that Peter did that was posted to SFI. I remember thinking how hard it would be to choose one of those if I had to (not like I had the cash to worry about that choice, though). So I picked the 2 favorites and painted them up a bit just for fun. Didn't really finish the painting all that much, and clean it up, but I noticed the rendering for the first time in a long while tonight and realized that these designs are very much like a couple of the Viking models Albion is soon to produce. Funny how that stuff works out, and me having no spare cash *still*.... (Peter, hope you don't mind my tinkering with your drawings.... just thought they were nice and was wondering what they'l look like with some color added... Happy )

Wow, that is great to see, Scott.
The drawings I made were meant to show my ideas of thing possible, and if they can inspire further work thatŽs just great.
IŽll do some additional wortk on the vikings when I arrive in New Glarus nexts week. That it will not take long untill weŽll see them on the market, IŽm sure.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
It is always god to get confirmation on things you have a feeling about and to get new input as well. Please do write and suggest favourites. It impotant to hear about customer preferences.
I think we will develop both the classic swords types as well as those that are previously not so often reproduced. Myself I have a weak spot for the german 16th C bastard swords, and swiss sabers are not far away from those in style and feel. Personally I prefer those that are close to the kriegs messer: a straight guard with a shell, wing or ring on the side and a blade that has a shallow curve to it. Right now there is a lot brewing, so it is difficult to give an estimate when new models can be available, but activity is in high gear to offer new and exiting products.

Peter, seems that someone posted up a couple of drawings of some nice curvy stuff that you designed. I thought those were quite nice looking designs. I'm attaching the drawing, and hope you don't mind. I'm partial to the one on the far right, myself. All would be nice pieces, though...

Thanks,
This is good food for thought during our talks in September at AlbionŽs.
I like these not so common types and it is good to see there are other people who appreciate them as well. We want to make long blades so perhaps one or two could be single edged and curved? WeŽll see how things develop.
There is always a risk in developing a narrow type of sword as a lot of money is invested in product development of each and every sword. Albion is corageous enough to be willing to create something unique based on strong belief in the design. That makes me as a designer very happy as it makes for a place where visions and ideas are welcome.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Thanks,
This is good food for thought during our talks in September at AlbionŽs.
I like these not so common types and it is good to see there are other people who appreciate them as well. We want to make long blades so perhaps one or two could be single edged and curved? WeŽll see how things develop.
There is always a risk in developing a narrow type of sword as a lot of money is invested in product development of each and every sword. Albion is corageous enough to be willing to create something unique based on strong belief in the design. That makes me as a designer very happy as it makes for a place where visions and ideas are welcome.

Yes, I'm sure that there is a risk involved and I imagine sometimes it doesn't pay off. But, I think this type of sword has a definite market niche going for it. I'd buy one if I could scrounge the money up, so I'm sure others out there would be interested too.

Anyway, I like to see the under represented types come on the market. It is a great break from the ordinary...
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One Oakeshott type is missing from the list of projected Next Generation Albion Marks --Type XIX. Below is a Peter Johnsson drawing of a couple of XIX's. I may be one of the few who is crazy about this type (see my avatar), but I bet more would come to like it if Peter and Albion create a new design.

Attachment: 16.66 KB
Type XIX.jpg

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion moving in new direction...
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: