Two Books about - The Maciejowski Bible
Hello,

There are two books that feature a complete copy of the The Maciejowski Bible:

Old Testament Miniatures: A Medieval Picture Book With 283 Paintings from the Creation to the Story of David

and

The Book of Kings: Art, War & The Morgan Library's Medieval Picture Bible

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two books? Does one have pictures that are better quality, bigger, more in color, etc. over the other? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Hi Todd,

I do own the Book of Kings edtion and am very happy with it. It has all the folios, but they are distributed between some (very interesting) articles on the creation and history of the morgan bible. So don't expect something like a facsimile! The pictures are big enaught to check some details, but I prefer to use the book to look up the folios I am interested in and then get them on screen via the morgan library's website for further examination. There you can see a lot more details, like patterns on shields or chinstraps.The print is quite good, the pictures bright and colorfull.

Hope that helps?

Thomas
Old Testament Miniatures is a facsimile with commentary on each folio. It begins with a history of the manuscript. It's also huge (easily the largest book I own); I believe it's printed as large as the original. All of the pages are reproduced in color, including the ones that have been separated over the years and are housed in France and Los Angeles rather than in NY with the majority of it.

It's published by George Braziller, who did a bunch of manuscript facsimiles in the 60s and 70s. Good stuff and well worth the price (as low as $27 on Amazon right now).
What Chad said, simply a fabulous reproduction of the plates.
Wow , just had alook on Amazon, the book is so cheap, even cheaper from Advanced Book Exchange. I'm pretty sure I paid 2 or 3 times the going rate about 10 years ago..This and the original boxed version of the Bayeaux Tapestry book were on my wanted list for sooooo long.
Phil
Thank you all. This was very helpful.

Regards,
Todd

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: