Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bill Fryman wrote:
Does the Cervenka stuff come with an edge? If so, how well does it hold?

My 1,5 hand sword cuts OK, but the edge is of varied sharpness/finish. It definitely is not sharp enough to cut a sheet of paper, as done when testing knife sharpness. There's not much secondary bevel, so it does the work against say thin plywood or water bottles, and holds the edge well against the mentioned mediums . The blade can be held without much fear of cutting your hand, so it's safe to practise (alone) even whan ordered "sharp".
I recently learned that a good friend of mine and I have the same feelings about schiavona. He and I have loved them since the first time we saw them, and Cervenka's rendition is exactly what we've been looking for! So what do wo do? We contact him to find out the price and wait for such a sword:

$750 and 2 years.

Words cannot describe my disappointment.
Augustus, I received my schiavonna from Vlad Cervenka on thursday.The waiting time was more in the eight months range, but I must add that I am a repeat customer (I have two other swords and a couple of daggers) so I may ( this is pure speculation on my part) have found my way to his A list, and yes I will be ordering more in time to come.
I have tried posting pics but I just can't seem to get the knack of it, so I will be calling in help soon to send off pics sometime this summer, when I get some down time.
And I don't want to rub it in, but the schiavonna is a real treat. Light, supple in hand, a surprisingly fast instrument, which might surprise those who think only shortsword and rapier are sufficiently responsive for proper swordplay.
Cheers,
Jean-Carle
Augustus P wrote:
Words cannot describe my disappointment.

Likewise, my friend...as with a woman, all the good ones are taken. :confused:
Martin, sorry for my last posting which might have indicated that there was hope for a shorter delay, Vlad just got back to me on the subject and confirmed that, at this time, his order book is full two years in advance... I gues I just made it under the wire. JC
James Holczer wrote:
Bill Fryman wrote:
Does the Cervenka stuff come with an edge? If so, how well does it hold?

Typically Cervenka will put an edge on his blades if so specified when you place your order. Since I’ve never cut with mine, I can’t say how well the edges of his blades hold up and I suppose it will depend on what you intend on cutting. But I can say that the edges of his blades tend to be executed nicely with little or no secondary bevel and his overall work is very solid.

BTW, I’ll second the comments made by Nathan regarding the finish of that particular schiavona and he did a very nice job on the satin finish. It really evens out the overall appearance of the sword. Typically Cervenka’s work seems to be an odd blend of rough and refined qualities and personally I think that adds to the overall appeal of his work.

The inside of the schiavona's giard shows the typical hammer marks that can be found in real armours' pieces.

That's why I would gladly buy a Cervenka.

I wish to compare his work to some real schiavonas existing in my town's museum.

There are also a couple of venetian munition grade infantry swords.
Bruno, which town and which museum? As I now have mine, and Vlad made a point of explaining to me how he had the opportunity to get a hold of the real deal before making his own, I would gladly take a trip ( within reason) to visit the museum you refer to. JCH
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: