Flexibility of a two-handed sword blade
This image recently came up in a discussion about Elizabethan costume, and the first thing I noticed was the two-handed sword on the man at the far left of the image. At first I thought it could be an interesting example of a curved two-handed sword but upon closer examination I'm pretty convinced it represents a straight blade sagging under its own weight (and the part of the man's weight that falls upon his arm). Quite an interesting example, that.

The original file (3.8MB) is here for those who'd like a closer look at the rest of the image: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Company_..._Ketel.jpg

Attachment: 102.26 KB
Company_of_Captain_Rosecrans_Ketel_resized.jpg

Attachment: 60.96 KB
bentsword.jpg
Detail
Wow, great picture. It's a shame we don't see much of another two hander on one of the soldiers shoulder. And the curve is definitely sagging under the weight of soldiers hand and swords weight. Cool. The sword is obviously very flexible although it's diamond section.
I see the two swords on their shoulders but the other appears (to me) to be a staff of office of some sort. I know I am truly half blind right now but the color of the sword blades does not agree with the color of other object. It is not a shadow darkening that object and the color of that consistent right up to the finial. Nor is there the rest of a hilt showing, dspite many hands at work.

My tuppence

Oh, ok, I do see a a quillon poking out there.

Nevermind

GC
we had a discussion of the flexibility of two handers a few months back. again the flex in these blades is something that's probably not uncommon. but i've never seen an illustration before documenting this attribute. i almost want to say that the characters stance also has a little to do with the bending action shown. he and the other character are almost totally bending to the artist if you look at the placement of their feet. - this almost looks like a snap shot where the camera man said "look here' and in a second snapped the picture. there also seems to be another missing character holding the pole arm ? ? ? can't find his feet at all?

what comes to mind - is that why were most historical swords made with a good deal of flex in them? just to keep their weight down or something else?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: