Vendel Spear collab with Jeff Helmes
Hello! I and Jeff collaborated on this great commission. Spear of Vendel period from Vendel (nice coincidence)
Jeff did amazing work on the spear blade, HC steel an wrought iron core. I love how he solved the socket. just brilliant!

i made this bears disguised as moles and made a cover from wood woth leather covering, tooled in Salin II style

here are some pictures, enjoy and feel free to comment

Attachment: 47.85 KB
DSC04293.jpg

Attachment: 47.03 KB
DSC04294.jpg

Attachment: 55.88 KB
DSC04295.jpg

Attachment: 46.8 KB
DSC04296.jpg

Attachment: 42.11 KB
DSC04297.jpg

Attachment: 43.24 KB
DSC04299.jpg

Attachment: 40.04 KB
DSC04300.jpg

This is fantastic work! It's also the second time in a week that somebody has referred to spear covers, which is a new topic to me. I knew that some German hunting spear heads were removable, and were carried in scabbards with accessory knives (see chamois hunter at far left below,) but I didn't know it was done elsewhere in other periods.

Is your project meant to be carried in the scabbard and mounted as needed, or is the scabbard meant to cover the mounted head and tie to the shaft?

This is a hunting weapon, yes?

Attachment: 190.86 KB
chamois.gif

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Wed 12 Sep, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
hello!
the spear is by my best knowledge a warfare weapon, as it was found in warriors grave and there are typological varieties of the theme.

the cover is meant to protect the spear and the owner as mounted.

its more conjectural, which is why i used only decayable materials

thanks for nice words
Thanks! Very interesting....
Absolutely beautiful, congratulations to both of you on such a splendid piece. I look forward to seeing this one close up.
Petr,

Fantastic spear head. I think you had it posted on another webpage a few days ago. I didn't know it was a new work. Really fantastic.

Do you do your own castings?
Robert
Very cool! Everything about this piece works together. Great work by both of you....
Wonderful craftsmanship. Well done.

Paul
That is a beautiful spearhead. I don't think I've ever seen any other works of Vendel spearheads.
Stunning.........
Absolutely stunning.....hands down the coolest spearhead I've ever seen. And an awesome little dagger in its own right, if carried on the belt ! Congrats to you and the maker ! I'll say it again....stunning. mcm
Congrulations guys, that's beautiful work from both of you. (I never thought I would say this about a spear head but this is a game changer). I was following this on Jeff's facebook page and didn't initially understand how the beasties fit in, but now one can see how nicely it comes together.

You have a picture of the original spearhead as well, right? That would be good to show people here.
Vendel spear
As the commissioner of this spear head I must congratulate both Jeff and Petr whose work has wholly lived up to my expectation,
and look forward to other commissions in the future perhaps. Okay truth out I have another commission with Petr cooking at present but not a weapon but still look forward with anticipation to seeing that one come to fruition.

The Vendel VII spear head is one that I have long desired so would like to say great work guys and I know I have said it before to both Jeff and Petr, but owning this little beauty created by two talents that I admire and appreciate is a nice feeling.

best
Dave

ps I know another friend and forumite here has his own version and is keeping it under a bushel....come out Peter!
Graet work by Petr again! Really cool piece to have done Dave! I admire your style. I love this one! Great job to everyone involved!
Hi Petr,
Really nice work on your collaboration with jeff i really like it and want one but that will have to wait until i get back from china.
Also to you david congratulations on your new art work i just love the style of migration era weapons.
Very impressive work guys!

I shouldn't have been surprised when I read who the new owner was....
Beautiful work! That's one heck of a collaboration.
That is truly one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen. You both made a fantastic piece. Well done gentlemen.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: