Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Various things Norse.. and scabbard for my Type G Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Various things Norse.. and scabbard for my Type G         Reply with quote

None of these are truly complete but I liked the light this morning. In the pictures you will see a maple core/linen scabbard for my Type G viking sword .. with spalted maple mounting. A viking langsax with wrought iron blade that was carburized in a charcoal fire. This is a blade that I decided not to dance around the term 'relic'. I wanted this one to truly look like a museum specimen and I played around quite a bit to get the blackened look on the hilt that I've seen in many museum pictures. It has a goatskin 'Gotland' style scabbard with bronze fittings. The little belt knife was not originally intended to match the longer blade... but it ended up that way when I got to having fun with aging the linen/wire wrap. And it bears my first attempt at a detailed carving.

(by the way... please contact me with any interest in the Type G sword.. it is available)

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way... I recently found info on the use of linen for scabbards so I thought I would give it a shot. I REALLY like this. The linen.. actually it's a rough woven cotton found of unknown source... was wrapped on wet with wood glue and then impregnated with beeswax and then burnished until it has become quite hard. The inside of the wood core is lined with goatskin and bear fur. A very nice, smooth, tight fit.
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to get feedback from some of the knowledgeable folks on my scabbard.... I personally love it.. But am curious what the more experienced people here think.

Also... The type G sword has sold and will be accompanied by an axe and shield to be put together as a display. I would LOVE any suggestions on how to manage holding the weapons to the shield for wall hanging!

J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those items would make good movie props for a Viking-era setting. They have a very earthy, antique, yet colorful aesthetic.
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Roush wrote:
I would love to get feedback from some of the knowledgeable folks on my scabbard.... I personally love it.. But am curious what the more experienced people here think.

Also... The type G sword has sold and will be accompanied by an axe and shield to be put together as a display. I would LOVE any suggestions on how to manage holding the weapons to the shield for wall hanging!

A display?!?!?? A DISPLAY?!?!?!!???!!?
Somebody's gone bonkers. That is just too darn nice lookin' to be a display. It looks like it wants to do some serious test cutting!
Well crapola, then I probably won't get to see it at Fall Camp, then will I?
I'm delighted for your sale though Scott. Somebody is going to be very happy!

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben.. it has been doing lots of test cuts. But the display will be designed to be able to take down pretty easily for use and wearing. That is the challenge.. making a display of all functional items including the shield.
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just giving you some crap buddy. I am glad that it will still be dis-mountable and useable.
So will I get a chance to see this one in person??

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's possible Ben.. .it depends on when I complete the axe and shield! But I'm starting up a pattern welded billet tomorrow morning to make a non-commissioned single edged Viking blade... still not sure which type of hilt.... but I'm planning to bring that since everything else I was going to take sold. Just got a piece of nice old bog oak I may use for the grip....

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Various things Norse.. and scabbard for my Type G
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic