Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 7 pieces from the Royal Armouries Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The whole issue of cloth wrapped grips is certainly fascinating. I would love to have a such a wrap executed on a reproduction. I guess the problem is that we simply don't have enough historical examples to make a version we can be relatively sure is historically accurate.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
The whole issue of cloth wrapped grips is certainly fascinating. I would love to have a such a wrap executed on a reproduction. I guess the problem is that we simply don't have enough historical examples to make a version we can be relatively sure is historically accurate.

There is also a strong preference among many collectors for the austere: steel on steel with black or brown leather and little to no tooling on grip or scabbard. More decorated swords like that of Edward III are not well-liked by many; plain weapons abound. Only in the last few years have other grip and scabbard colors gotten more press. More scabbards are starting to be tooled. But we still don't have many adventurous folks opting for velvet grips or scabbard covers or linen, etc.

It's weird. Most people want to portray knights and the wealthy when it comes to armour and clothing, but many people opt for weapons with little to no decoration. If you're going to bling out your harness, why not the rest, too? Happy

I want a velvet covered scabbard, I just can't afford one. Some day.... Wink

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Chad pretty much; on the whole people don't bling their weapons up enough for their status. But as I was saying earlier, we get suduced by the beauty in simplicity - a concept that was alien then.

Chad Arnow wrote
Quote:
I want a velvet covered scabbard, I just can't afford one. Some day....

Here's one below in black velvet, and not so much more than a leather one. Alternatively cover your scabbard yourself; its not so hard.

Tod

Attachment: 24.53 KB
regent in velvet.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

There is also a strong preference among many collectors for the austere: steel on steel with black or brown leather and little to no tooling on grip or scabbard. More decorated swords like that of Edward III are not well-liked by many; plain weapons abound. Only in the last few years have other grip and scabbard colors gotten more press. More scabbards are starting to be tooled. But we still don't have many adventurous folks opting for velvet grips or scabbard covers or linen, etc.

It's weird. Most people want to portray knights and the wealthy when it comes to armour and clothing, but many people opt for weapons with little to no decoration. If you're going to bling out your harness, why not the rest, too? Happy

I want a velvet covered scabbard, I just can't afford one. Some day.... Wink

Chad,

I think it also depends what period you are interested in as well. For much of the high middle ages, swords did not seem to have that much ostentation; they were pretty austere in appearance. Of course, the obvious exception to this is inlay on blades, but that modern collectors do not commonly commission swords with inlay is undoubtedly because of the price increase involved. Swords and scabbards, as a whole, were not that oriented towards conspicuous display, outside of coronation swords.

The situation seems to change in the 14th century, where there seems to be a greater emphasis upon the visual aesthetic of a weapon. This is particularly true for scabbards, which seem far more elaborate than those of earlier centuries. In my opinion, however, people tend to over-decorate scabbards- at least, there is a tendency to do this with DBK scabbards. Many scabbards have far more tooling and visual motifs than would have been found on historical models, judging from the rare surviving examples and from images in period artwork.
Julien M

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
people tend to over-decorate scabbards

That's very true. Swords scabbards were mostly plain, even more in the XV century. They would likely suffer in use, and being often replaced too. Scabbards mountings would take much of the embellishments, or so I have seen on sources (these could be reused even if the core was broken or the surface leather torn or damaged).

I'm curious Chad, have you looked into buying a velvet piece of fabric? Would it possibly be more expensive that veg tan leather? That would surprise me.

Tod, fantastic work on the guard wax. Keep it up! I wonder what can be so intimidating about this piece for a craftsman such as yourself...as you've pulled together pieces equally if not more complex or refined than this. Is this the blade work itself? The surface details on the castings?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
I'm curious Chad, have you looked into buying a velvet piece of fabric? Would it possibly be more expensive that veg tan leather? That would surprise me.

I can't afford a custom scabbard in general, regardless of whether velvet or leather is used. That was the context of my comment. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First of all, absolutely gorgeous work and congrats on such an exciting project opportunity! I really can't wait to see how that saber turns out; the blade is very exciting.

With regards to the obtuse rear edges on the dagger,
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

It looks to me that these false edges are really false in the sense of being rather obtuse in angle and not sharp or sharpenable and mostly aesthetic rather than functional as cutting edges, although they might serve some minor function if parrying a sword blade ?

I have seen such false edges on modern knives advertised as "bone breakers." Silly-sounding and silly presentation, I know, but perhaps a similar "harder duty" function was intended for these features on the period piece?
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The next piece is a dagger attributed to Hery VIII.

The grip and pommel were fitted in the 60's and this reproduction must stay faithful to that.

The grip is elm, the fittings are steel and the blade is a hefty 9mm x 330mm and hollow ground.

Sculpting by Matt Rowe, the rest by myself.

The blade does have etchings on it that will get applied once they have been deciphered and as part of it is a pomegranate, that dates it to when Henry still liked Catherine of Aragon.

I hope you like it and ask away if there is anything you wish to know.

Tod

Attachment: 204.87 KB
hendry dag ma 1.jpg

Attachment: 192.48 KB
henry dag ma 2.jpg

Attachment: 177.83 KB
henry dag ma 3.jpg

Attachment: 201.99 KB
henry dag ma 4.jpg

Attachment: 188.89 KB
henry dag ma 5.jpg

Attachment: 197.83 KB
henry dag ma 6.jpg

Attachment: 120.78 KB
P1014986.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All,

A little flooding has slowed me recently, but I have just finished this replica of Henry VIIIs tourney sword and it is a monster. The blade is 1.11m long, thats 44".

I don't have any stats on it yet, but will post them up in due course.

I have included me for scale.

Tod

Attachment: 151.27 KB
longsword.jpg

Attachment: 202.7 KB
longsword hilt.jpg

Attachment: 164.31 KB
longsword and me.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Nicholas A. Gaese

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awsome! love the sword. It's bigger than I expected, but matches Henry well I'd imagine and a good piece overall. great job.

Heres a shot of the original along with Henry's tonlet armour.

Regards.

Attachment: 44.26 KB
Tonlet armour of Henry 8th, c. 1520.jpg
Tonlet armour of Henry 8th, with sword. c. 1520.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the next piece, a very iconic sword, presumably German and late 15th. The original hilt is gilded cast bronze and the wood is unknown.

This replica is supposed to represent the sword as it would have been when first made with two notable changes due to client requirement. The blade on the original would in any modern terms, be 'rough as hell' with a central ridge that wanders well over 1/4" 6mm from true and the castings have some pretty big flaws. This needed to be tidier than that. The handle is stained box wood.

Like all these pieces the dimensions followed the originals as best as was reasonably possible.

I hope you like it

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 199.52 KB
writhen sword ma.jpg

Attachment: 199.32 KB
writhen hilt1 ma.jpg

Attachment: 200.51 KB
writhen hilt2 ma.jpg

Attachment: 201.37 KB
writhen hilt3 ma.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Total eye candy...all of it!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a sense of scale here is forumite Glennan Carnie who is 1/2" taller than Henry VIII with the tourney sword. He also found it very wieldable - is that a word?

Tod

Attachment: 190.62 KB
006.JPG

Attachment: 198.88 KB
008.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big sword, as Glen is a big fellow!

Your take on the branch sword is awesome too (that's the second one to leave your workshop right?), Great finish.

Jesus Tod, when you mentioned that your had been flooded, I was not expecting that! That's no field I see in the background, it's a bloody lake! Fishing from the windows of your workshop?

J
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The branch sword is, indeed, wonderful; but for my money the Henry VIII sword is awesome (in just about every sense!)

It's no lightweight but it balances beautifully. It's a sword you could actually fence with. And it screams "CUT STUFF IN HALF!!!". The swingball (just out of shot) so very nearly got it! :-)

If I had one dislike it would be the thickness of the grip. Personally, I'd like it a touch thinner; but then, I've got tiny little hands.

Once again, I'm blown away by Tod's creations.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
For what it's worth, this MIGHT depict a fine cloth binding ca. 1330.

This is exactly like the sword found in the coffin of Cangrande della Scala. The hilt was covered in velvet with a cross-hatching of silk (now lost to decay after the exposure of the sword to air). Btw the pommel and cross style in your image look the same as in Cangrande's sword.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is another of pieces underway and is Henry VIII's sabre.

The blade and guard are lovely on this sword and must lighter than the length would suggest. The blades starts at 8mm thick at the hilt and drops to 5.5mm 150mm from the guard and continues quite steadily from there about half the blade and then starts to rapidly drop in thickness again.

I don't know the balance yet as the guard is still in wax, but it will be very lively for such a long piece. The handle scales will be fabric covered and pinned together with the decorative rivets.

I am looking forward to finishing this one.

Tod

Attachment: 196.17 KB
sabre ma1.jpg

Attachment: 156.12 KB
sabre ma2.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Henry's blades         Reply with quote

Beautiful originals and beautiful reproductions. I like the second dagger, the saber and the two hander. I have always admired that two handed sword. Monastic beauty, totally functional.

That two hander and that saber. I bet that saber - although long, is one heck of a piece of steel in hand! Given its proportions I bet it weighs "nothing".

So...Mr. Todeschini, do you have the overall specs on the saber? Length and weight. I did not see those blade specs, but could have missed them.

Fantastic work.

Thank you
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Henry's blades         Reply with quote

Perry L. Goss wrote:

That two hander and that saber. I bet that saber - although long, is one heck of a piece of steel in hand! Given its proportions I bet it weighs "nothing".

...Guess that makes it a "light saber".

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Karl Knisley

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
i realy like that saber.Could you give us, the other stats, on it...pretty please :-)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 7 pieces from the Royal Armouries
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: