Victoria Medieval Reenactment??
Hello everyone.

I live in Victoria, Australia and I want to find a reenactment group that does live steel combat in a historically accurate, but chilled out setting.

I've tried various SCA related things, but I just don't like the atmosphere. Using 'safe' weapons which therefore justifies bashing the crap out of each other to the point of injury because it's 'accurate' is no fun. I'm not being rude, I just think that in reenactment you can't take it to that level or else it doesn't work. If you can't kill people you have to make it fun.

I want to do live steel that isn't choreographed. My idea of a 21st century reenactment is that we aim for each other's limbs and weaknesses and whoever isn't there in time gets hit and 'dies a dramatic death'. The armour would then only be a precaution IN CASE you got hit. The armour shouldn't be a defense against actual physical harm like in the SCA, it just isn't any fun to me.

The only problem is other than the SCA there isn't much around. What is there that I can do?

Thank you!
Re: Victoria Medieval Reenactment??
Dave Stephan wrote:
Hello everyone.

I live in Victoria, Australia and I want to find a reenactment group that does live steel combat in a historically accurate, but chilled out setting.

I've tried various SCA related things, but I just don't like the atmosphere. Using 'safe' weapons which therefore justifies bashing the crap out of each other to the point of injury because it's 'accurate' is no fun. I'm not being rude, I just think that in reenactment you can't take it to that level or else it doesn't work. If you can't kill people you have to make it fun.

I want to do live steel that isn't choreographed. My idea of a 21st century reenactment is that we aim for each other's limbs and weaknesses and whoever isn't there in time gets hit and 'dies a dramatic death'. The armour would then only be a precaution IN CASE you got hit. The armour shouldn't be a defense against actual physical harm like in the SCA, it just isn't any fun to me.

The only problem is other than the SCA there isn't much around. What is there that I can do?

Thank you!

Have you tried contacting Paul Wagner and Steve Hand of Stoccata School of Defence? They don't do reenactment per se but might know folks who do.
http://www.arlho.net/

Check that website out it lists many groups and their period(s) they cover.
I hear ya, What you want is exactly what we do in our club www.denizensofethos.org

Try NVG (New Varangian Guard Inc), I have met members of NVG from various places and have all been really good people and the biggest steel club in the country.

Good luck

Ted

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: