Little Axe
Here are some pics of a little type A/G viking axe I just finished. Differentially hardened carbon steel. 6" long with 3.5" edge, almost 15oz.

Attachment: 68.47 KB
axe 1.jpg

Attachment: 71.71 KB
axe 2.jpg

looks quite nice
id like to see how well it handles as well.

how typical is a weight of 15 ounces for an axe head?
Within the range for one of this size. We use similar sized blunt axes on short hafts as backup weapons for reenacting and live steel fighting. They are very controllable and fast in close-in fighting, but can pack quite a wallop. I got a broken finger the first time I faced one, I blocked the strike with my sword and the bit wrapped around my guard and broke my ring-finger. In the heat of the moment, we often grab the axe by the head and thrust,strike or grapple with the end of the haft. They make short work of 12ga bosses too. I have had to start making my bosses 5mm thick to withstand the axe blows, while 12ga is more than enough to handle sword blows.
I also use these axes at work ( I am a tree cutter) and they can be quite handy for cutting roots and make short work of branches and saplings. Very handy for butchering livestock too. And sharpening pencils. The volumes and proportions on these axes were quite extensively researched to get them just right. I did try to make this axe at the lighter end of the spectrum, some similar sized axes weigh about half again as much.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: