Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Viking Ship Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kevin Coleman M.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Viking Ship         Reply with quote

Has anyone here been out to see the Viking ship at Good Templar Park in Galena, Illinois? It is a replica of the Gokstad Ship and was sailed to Chicago from Norway for the World's Columbian Exposition in 1895. It resided in Lincoln Park for a good long time (As a child, my dad had the keys to the enclosure and used to let me wander around in the ship, unwittingly beginning a lifelong and likely unhealthy fixation on Vikings,) before the city sold it and it was moved. Currently it's being restored by a society called Friends of the Viking Ship. For all you Midwesterners out there, and them that are willing to travel a bit, I would encourage you to pay the ship a visit, especially if you feel strongly about those Norse Raiders.

On a related note, the captain of the ship published an account of the voyage. I am aware that somewhere there is a partial translation. If anyone knows anything about this, I'd love to hear more. I, myself, have a copy of the book in Norwegian which I do not understand. It is quite old and not without value (sentimental and otherwise,) so I am loathe to lend it out for translation and so am trying to track down what has already been done.

Also, here's a link to a really cool picture of the ship docked on Lake Michigan. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...r_1893.jpg
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Viking Ship         Reply with quote

I have visited it. Definitely for anyone interested in the Viking Age. Nothing quite like seeing such a great ship up close.

Kevin Coleman M. wrote:
Has anyone here been out to see the Viking ship at Good Templar Park in Galena, Illinois? It is a replica of the Gokstad Ship and was sailed to Chicago from Norway for the World's Columbian Exposition in 1895. It resided in Lincoln Park for a good long time (As a child, my dad had the keys to the enclosure and used to let me wander around in the ship, unwittingly beginning a lifelong and likely unhealthy fixation on Vikings,) before the city sold it and it was moved. Currently it's being restored by a society called Friends of the Viking Ship. For all you Midwesterners out there, and them that are willing to travel a bit, I would encourage you to pay the ship a visit, especially if you feel strongly about those Norse Raiders.

On a related note, the captain of the ship published an account of the voyage. I am aware that somewhere there is a partial translation. If anyone knows anything about this, I'd love to hear more. I, myself, have a copy of the book in Norwegian which I do not understand. It is quite old and not without value (sentimental and otherwise,) so I am loathe to lend it out for translation and so am trying to track down what has already been done.

Also, here's a link to a really cool picture of the ship docked on Lake Michigan. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...r_1893.jpg

www.viking-shield.com
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i saw it a couple years ago. since it is near where i live it would have been shameful for me not to have seen it Wink it is a very magnificent ship indeed. when you see it, it really gives you a respect for those who crossed the ocean in it. when i saw it it was in a tent in a small park-like place.
AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unrelated, but in my hometown they have recently finished building a replica of the Oseberg ship. I pass it every day and it is truly amazing.

http://www.osebergvikingskip.no/eng/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Viking Ship
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic