Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2012 myArmoury Donation Drive Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: 2012 myArmoury Donation Drive         Reply with quote

As mentioned in the myArmoury ninth birthday thread, the annual donation drive has begun. The website needs to raise $2,400.00, and as of today, $580.00 has been donated.

This place is important to most forumites. It sure is to me. Nathan needs our help,and shouldn't shoulder the financial burden of running it by himself. After nine years, I'm sure there are times when he is tempted to pack it in. If all of us give something to defray expenses, myArmoury can keep going.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Roger for starting this donation drive Topic this year, I was wondering when one would be started and was thinking of starting one soon, starting it on the anniversary of the site Forums is a very good idea. Big Grin Cool

Well, it's good to remember how much pleasure and learning we all get from the existence of this site, and it's only fair that Nathan gets at least the hosting costs of the site paid for by the membership considering all the time he puts into running it, and other expenses he covers out of his own pocket each year and the amount of money he has put into running this site over 9 years.

As with every year, getting some larger donations by those who can afford it really helps to jump start the drive, but if many people donate just $10 it add up fast and is very encouraging and motivational to get support from many people contributing a little. Over one year $10 is not very much compared to a few expensive coffees or the price of going to one movie or paying a parking ticket fine ..... Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
P. Frank

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder. Now I finally got around to upgrading my membership.
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i would love to donate but i dont have a pay pal acount is there any way i can contribute
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. Kolick wrote:
i would love to donate but i dont have a pay pal acount is there any way i can contribute

You don't need a PayPal account to pay for things with PayPal. You simply need a credit card / debit card to make a one-time purchase. It's like any other online transaction. Simply go to the Donate Page and follow the directions.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: 2012 Donation Drive         Reply with quote

Hey Nathan,

Early on the morrow, check ye olde pay pal account .....

Cheers,
Dan
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, well ...

In the immortal words of Richard Gere in An Officer And A Gentleman ... or maybe
its a different movie for all i know, and I'm sure I'm paraphrasing ...

" ... I got nowhere else to go ... "

B-)
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Today we are at $1,081.00 with a goal of $2,400.00. It would be great if we could get to the half-way point of $1,200.00 this week.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's also good to consider giving something back if you are getting something out of the site and frequent the site often.

There are the general benefits of supporting a site that gives you interesting information and a forum to ask questions, share knowledge, show off some DIY projects, plus a data base of reference material to learn new things or even to just refresh one's memory by re-reading feature articles or reviews when one is considering a purchase.

There is also supporting the site if one has sold or bought something from the Marketplace Forum, and even if one hasn't, it does mean having a good place to go to buy or trade something in the future.

Makers, custom and production as well as vendors also benefit from being able to get themselves and product and services know, so it's also a reason to give a small contribution.

Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sliced in a little to help. I also try to help by promoting myArmoury through my website, talking to customers, and helping to create new members.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Sliced in a little to help. I also try to help by promoting myArmoury through my website, talking to customers, and helping to create new members.

There are so many talented makers I would never have found out about without " myArmoury " or at least found them more easily here than who knows where. Wink Big Grin Cool

Also it's a great bonus to be able to have discussions with makers here including some of the tops established makers and benefit from their vast knowledge. We also get too know new and talented makers and often end up ordering something from them before their reputation, prices and production cues get too crowded leading to very much longer wait times.

All this " cross-pollination " between makers and collectors is another great feature of this site. Big Grin Cool

Oh, and as I type this we have crossed over the midway point with $1201 in donations. Cool ( Whomever donated $1 0r $11 has a great sense of humour. Wink Laughing Out Loud ).

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, and as I type this we have crossed over the midway point with $1201 in donations. Cool ( Whomever donated $1 0r $11 has a great sense of humour. Wink Laughing Out Loud ).

It was at an odd amount ($1171) before the donation came that put it over $1200. So no sense of humor involved. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This morning I looked at the section showing the amount received and it shows $2,400.00 as the amount collected. Is that a typo or did someone make a very big donation?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In less than 1 week, we've exceeded the fund drive's goal.

Let's see how high we can go. Happy

Happy

ChadA

William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
In less than 1 week, we've exceeded the fund drive's goal.

Let's see how high we can go. Happy

Fantastic news !! It is heart warming to know that the target was reached so quickly!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William M wrote:
Fantastic news !! It is heart warming to know that the target was reached so quickly!

It's the people that make this site so great. I'm really thrilled to see the support.

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This site's community never ceases to amaze me. With us reaching the stated goal of the donation drive, I've been able to reimburse myself for the annual server bill I paid in July. There's a bit left over, too, which will pay for additional costs that occur during the year and allow us to pursue some fun stuff.

Please don't consider this a call stating that we're done. All further contributions stay in the myArmoury.com account and will help greatly.

Thank you!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Please don't consider this a call stating that we're done. All further contributions stay in the myArmoury.com account and will help greatly.

Thank you!

Also historically the objective has been exceeded meaning that the donation total at the end of the fund drive has often been twice the amount of the objective.

The donation goal also represents the hosting costs but not all the costs that Nathan covers with his own personal funds to keep this great site in operation and extra funds are a cushion in case of unexpected expenses and Nathan always goes the extra mile using the funds for the good of the site and membership.

Another factor is I think the number of donors usually totaled close or slightly higher than 100, and it's also a motivating factor to get as wide support as possible ..... as I type this I think the total seems to be 60.

It would be nice if we could beat the previous record of people donating even if we don't exceed the record donation total that I think was close to $4000 + a few years back in better economic times.

If 100 people contribute $10 each we get really close to $4000.

J.-P. Rybak

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This site is a remarkable well of information and great people! Before I read this thread I did not know PayPal was so easy to use. Keep up the great work!

Greetings,
JP
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We are now over the $3,000.00 mark.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2012 myArmoury Donation Drive
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: