Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Craig Johnson still running the Oakeshott Institute? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Craig Johnson still running the Oakeshott Institute?         Reply with quote

Their email went down, and I have a couple of queries I wanted to put his way, the first on a sabre description project that got stillborn, and the second on some medieval weapons I'd be willing to donate to the museum in exchange for replicas (b/c I'm not entirely certain my amateur conservation work is up to snuff) so long as I knew they were someplace where they'd be preserved and seen. Primarily little stuff like arrowheads that I've rescued from the steal-it-from-the-collection/dump-it-at-the-militaria fairs, that are more important than they are expensive or hard to find, but also including a relatively rare Pecheneg mace head.

But I still can't manage to get through to them. Anybody know what's going on?

10,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Hello Russ         Reply with quote

Our email should be operational we did a major restructure of our server and software and it has been relatively problem free of late.

best ways to get ahold of me are.

cj@armor.com

or

oakeshott.org">admin@oakeshott.org

Let me know here if you do not get through.

Best
Craig
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

A bit off topic, but I wanted to tell you how impressed I am with my AA Knightly Riding Sword. I received the sword as a wedding present (it was used in my wedding actually) by my guys, The Knights of Gloriana, when we were the joust at Bristol in 1999. Believe it or not, until this last weekend, I had never cut with it. My Loss!

I love the way the sword handles and how lively it feels in the hand. I can't wait to use it from horseback and will send you guys pics if you want when I do. I know now that I will be doing almost all of my show cutting with this sword (and my Duke, of course!).

You guys make an outstanding product (I have owned many, many pieces over the years), but on this one you outdid yourselves.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd, nice to know about your appreciation of the quality of A&As' work: It makes me look forward even more to getting my Pole Axe from them at the end of december.

I already have their 12th century Winged spear and Viking spear and I'm very pleased with them.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Knightly Sword         Reply with quote

Hello Lloyd

Glad you like the Knightly so much. It is a real sleeper in the sense that if I put out 10 or 15 swords on a table most will not pick it up till the last few they try, but it is always one of the favorites for handling and feel. This is one of the conundrums of the replica sword business. The look and dynamics of a sword do not always relate. This is often the down fall of those who design their own sword, the laws of physics always get in the way Happy

Had a couple of requests for that giant sword you see on a video game, its called Cloud something, I think. Well a guy wanted one and sent all the measurements and such and wanted to know what it would weight and what its attributes would be (BP, Cop and such) well after sitting down and figuring it out the sword came in just a touch under a hundred pounds and I am not sure even Gus could find a node on something like that Laughing Out Loud

Anyway the Knightly is a great sword for cutting and one of the swords we have been making the longest. I have always felt it was something a little under appreciated. In fact as I think about it, I think this was probably one of the first full replica swords we did as apposed to in the style of or type design.

Keep well I have to go finish a chanfron.

Best
Craig
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I already have their 12th century Winged spear and Viking spear and I'm very pleased with them.

Big Grin Please! Big Grin can you show a full scale photo of that Viking spear,
with someone holding it, so i have something to compare with. Happy

Thanks!
Patrik
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patric;

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, I can tell you that the whole lenght is about 80 inches long/ 205 centimeters. the spearhead is 11 inches/ 30.5 centimeters, the blade part alone is 6 1/2 inches/16.5 cm and is quite stout, the socket walls are thick.

Should be able to penetrate armour without damage.

Note: As an option they did an edge hardening to about 49/50 R.C. the standard hardness of the whole spearhead is about 40 R.C. which they consider historically correct but I wanted it to be able to take a slightly sharper edge without compromising chock resistance.

Maybe this will help you visualizing the hight of the spear: I'm 5'9" and if I hold my arm strait up with my hand closed my hand is at the same hight as the spear.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Patric;

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, I can tell you that the whole lenght is about 80 inches long/ 205 centimeters. the spearhead is 11 inches/ 30.5 centimeters, the blade part alone is 6 1/2 inches/16.5 cm and is quite stout, the socket walls are thick.

Should be able to penetrate armour without damage.

Note: As an option they did an edge hardening to about 49/50 R.C. the standard hardness of the whole spearhead is about 40 R.C. which they consider historically correct but I wanted it to be able to take a slightly sharper edge without compromising chock resistance.

Maybe this will help you visualizing the hight of the spear: I'm 5'9" and if I hold my arm strait up with my hand closed my hand is at the same hight as the spear.

Eek! Eek! Eek! Surprised Confused Happy Big Grin Cool
That will do it, Thanks Jean.

Patrik

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Craig Johnson still running the Oakeshott Institute?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic