Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille in comparison to scale/lamellar. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:
So very small plates with good padding would reduce arrow impact most? Mail would seem somehow equivalent if you master the issue of rings not being destroyed upon impact.

"Destroyed" how? Sure, sometimes rings broke, and sometimes an arrow could break enough rings to penetrate significantly (i.e., enough to wound or kill). This certainly doesn't seem to be the rule!

Peteris R. wrote:
But that's the problem, isn't it - the rings get pierced more easily than plates. Which would mean that lamellar and scale are superior.

But we don't know at all that the rings are "pierced more easily than plates"--presumably you mean the *mail* is pierced more easily? Much remaining Roman scale armor is frightfully thin, and it has to be because all the overlap means the weight adds up very quickly. Sure, you can make a scale thick enough to keep out any arrow, but make a shirt of that and it will weigh several times what an average mailshirt weighs. With the thinnest scales I've seen, you can pretty easily drive a point through any one scale, or fold it in half with 2 fingers. It relies on overlapping layers to protect, and it's already bulkier and less flexible than a comparatively protective shirt of mail.

Matthew
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:
So very small plates with good padding would reduce arrow impact most? Mail would seem somehow equivalent if you master the issue of rings not being destroyed upon impact.

Where "good padding" is thick and soft, yes. In theory, that is. As long as the movement of the small plate doesn't allow the arrow to turn it sideways and make a gap.

Mail over padding, with something like linen or silk cloth on the outside to catch and slow the incoming arrow first, is a good solution. As long as the impact isn't so great as to be a problem (in which case, solid plate will be better).

Padding under the mail, textile layers on the outside is the theoretically good solution for mail against arrows.

Of course, the padding (and outer textile layers) can be heavy, so plate can be a good choice too. IIRC, the penetration resistance of plate improves (approximately) as the square of the thickness, so going from 2mm thick (which is highly arrow-resistant) to 3mm gives good protection against crossbows. Padding + mail + textile might not improve with thickness so quickly.

To stop (old-style) handguns, thick plate (muskets, 6-9mm or give up, or 3mm against pistols away from short range) or brigandine with thick plates. How thick plates does brigandine need to stop muskets? I don't know, but there are apparently Ming and Qing examples. Or really thick cotton padding can stop muskets (e.g., 19th century Korean padded armours).

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt,

We do know that depending on the size ring and system of the pattern the arrow or point may not need to actually defeat the link either but simply go through. There were several original suits I handled and I had not problem putting several inches through the mail without pushing. With force from a bow or blow this would be a serious issue.

But even if some mail had this weakness not all mail was so easy to get around and even mail of larger size and weave still is effective against many threats.

I think the issue is people want to think some armour was 100% but no armour was.

RPM
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Matt,

We do know that depending on the size ring and system of the pattern the arrow or point may not need to actually defeat the link either but simply go through. There were several original suits I handled and I had not problem putting several inches through the mail without pushing. With force from a bow or blow this would be a serious issue.

But even if some mail had this weakness not all mail was so easy to get around and even mail of larger size and weave still is effective against many threats.

I think the issue is people want to think some armour was 100% but no armour was.

RPM

Randal, I posted this image on another thread but it illustrates what you are talking about, I was able to push an Indo-persian type arrow head through the links of an antique riveted 1600s indo-Persian mail shirt, the arrow head penetrated about 3/4 in, this was on the smaller links on the fore arm, the arrow head could easily pass through the larger individual links.

Some other images.
http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/estc...?start=all
William P

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thats not even mentioning some needle bodkins

some norman needle bodkins were VERY long and one russian 10th century arrowhead is another example, its a thin, spiral fluted straight shaft for most of its length this was fairly thin and have little trouble simply passing right through the centre of some maile links.

http://xxx.xxx/uploads/2011/medwed-bown/arrows05.gif
im very specifically talking about arrowhead number 10 on the top row in the picture, its recognisable because of its spiral shaft which looks like it was a tiny bit more expensive to produce but it might increase the structural strength a little. (the items are numbered

http://xxx.xxx/2011/01/26/af-medvedev...trely.html this is just a showcase of all the illustrations of arrowheads and archery equipment from the journal article.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6522749/il_f...671304.jpg an example of a European bodkin

and whats your typical ID of maile from that era?

your typical indian maile at the least is around 8mm and your medieval maile depending on the area would be narrower bu no by a whole much i dont think...

... that russian arrowhead would slip right through since is probably about 5mm at its absolute widest at the tip.

Attachment: 102.45 KB
russian 10th century bodkin type arrows.jpg
russian arrowheads dated to the 10th century note number 10 and 11 in particular..

these look capable of easily slipping between links and even passing through a link to pierce the person underneath.. considering that according to the scale, these look

Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Long narrow pointed arrowheads like these are an important reason why you really want an outer textile armour layer over mail.
"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William, thanks for the excellent images, its obvious that while mail could resist slashing attacks some sort of additional protection was needed to keep sharp pointy things from going through the links.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
Long narrow pointed arrowheads like these are an important reason why you really want an outer textile armour layer over mail.

Whether you get pierced by a broad headed arrow or a needle point would in my opinion translate into different degrees of damaged tissue and blood vessels. Reducing damage to needle points should enhance survival if any projectile gets past the shield and the trained deflection moves.

As for cloth over mail, I would imagine mail to exercise some kind of tunneling effect for uncut fibres to form a more dense compressed layer that will be harder to impossible to penetrate, especially with needle tip arrows designed for mail penetration that lack much cutting edge. Thus the fiber protection over mail could be wadding with unprocessed fibres and left overs (reduced costs for a component taking damage beyond repair) embedded within quilted textile layers.

Maybe some enhancements like waxing can improve the capability to withstand the aforementioned cuts by needle points because friction of the fibres and between fibres and metal gets reduced, as well as the creation of compressed layers enhanced (plus it keeps people, mail and the padding underneath dry).

Non-mail armour might have some weight-performance benefits for missile penetration and blunt trauma protection with reduced manufacturing costs, but maintaining it under weapon inflicted damage conditions might be harder.

Are these assumptions agreeable?
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Defense Academy Warbow trials demonstrated that waxing had no effect on penetration.
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:

and whats your typical ID of maile from that era?

your typical indian maile at the least is around 8mm and your medieval maile depending on the area would be narrower bu no by a whole much i dont think...

... that russian arrowhead would slip right through since is probably about 5mm at its absolute widest at the tip.

Here is some very nice data about mail rings found in this rough period:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/mail/mail_fig_2a.jpg

We have to be careful with assuming that something will "slip trough" as it would assume hit right in to the middle of the rings, where it would anyway be more than likely to hit other rings, since the very point of the mail is overlap after all. Causing significant friction while going trough and all.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a couple of caveats:

--Absolute inner diameter of mail rings might be a little misleading, since much of the space inside the ring is taken up by the rings linked through it. So an arrowhead 6mm in diameter won't go through a mail ring with an inner diameter of 7mm--the hole is already too crowded.

--How common were those needle bodkins? From what I've heard, they are very much in the minority, compared to broadheads.

--How dangerous is a point a few mm in diameter which is only sticking an inch or two through the mail? Sounds almost as bad as a modern "pinning ceremony", to me. Obviously puncture wounds and infection are bad!

--Just to be complete s.o.b., are we sure that all those wacky little bodkins are actually arrowheads? Any chance any of them could be leatherworking awls or icepicks or something else?

I'm not trying to dismiss bodkins as a threat to a mailed man completely! I'm just saying, beware of "superweapons", especially if the men who actually faced them don't seem to have reacted to them as if they were superweapons...

Matthew
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
The Defense Academy Warbow trials demonstrated that waxing had no effect on penetration.

Can you give a brief summary under what conditions waxing was tested? Did this include a garment that by itself was suitable without waxing?

I just wonder why waxing so often appears in texts. Maybe it was just about cloth armour not getting soaked wet.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And what's the weight on bodkins vs. broadheads? We know they made "flight arrows" for distance shooting, so a lighter head might not indicate a "mail-piercing" design so much as a "distance shooting" one. It's interesting that a number of gambeson specifications call for the outside layer to be of silk--sendal, cendal, etc., as many have mentioned this would improve the ability of the padded garment to resist penetration. (Although it could simply be because silk looked better!)
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt,

I think that is missing the point. An inch or two of passing the links simply pushed through by hand is way different than being loosed from a bow. The mail will not hold ridged so the two inches of point passed the mail could easily penetrate flesh twice or more that depth as the mail will simple flex as will the flesh. This is different from plate that the deformation is usually much less due to resistance of the metal. The argument the open space is taken by links is not a big one either as no one here is stating the arrows penetrate the same against all mail, only some mail. I have had access to several late medieval and early modern mail shirts and have no doubt needle bodkins were developed to pass between these links. I literally sat there and gently stuck a needle bodkin more than a few inches through most of the pieces without even really touching the mail with more then minimal force (hey they are old and I cannot pay for them, nor did I wish to damage them).

The needle bodkins being in the minority is not a huge issue when tied to the fact we largely cannot split what were hunting or combat arrows. I see little point in bodkins for hunting as they do not do any of the things one really needs for hunting an animal. Yet we can speculate and exam to see such things.

But once again no one is claiming all mail equal or arrowheads, only some were likely designed in this way.

RPM
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Matt,

I think that is missing the point.

Or the point missed me, bwa ha ha!

Quote:
An inch or two of passing the links simply pushed through by hand is way different than being loosed from a bow. The mail will not hold ridged so the two inches of point passed the mail could easily penetrate flesh twice or more that depth as the mail will simple flex as will the flesh.

You're right, of course, I wasn't thinking of that.

Quote:
The argument the open space is taken by links is not a big one either as no one here is stating the arrows penetrate the same against all mail, only some mail.

Oh, no, I realize that. It just sounded like some folks were starting to generalize based on a few statistics, which, as we have seen, has in the past led to a conclusion that "mail was useless"!

I appreciate your caveats to my caveats! I'm really not on the side of "arrows will never go through mail", just felt the need to throw a few rocks in.

Matthew
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
just felt the need to throw a few rocks in.

I don't think rocks penetrate mail either Big Grin

But seriously, from what I've seen from various tests (for the most part I go with Williams results, other than there is an issue that his "point" did not mirror Long Bodkin or similar style arrows well) it appears to me that to truly penetrate mail takes a lot of force, a powerful bow from close range to allow any degree of pentration, which would be accompanied By a broken link.

So IMO, as long as there is not a weak or corroded link, penetration is difficult and will only be achived by longbows at 150+ draws at relatively close ranges, or the heaviest crossbows at similar range, those that require more than just a belt hook to draw.

On the other hand, penetration of an inch or two, depending upon the acuteness of the point is possible even at some range. However, sufficient padding on the inside, outside or both can either stop this or reduce it to where it is negigible. Though that is not saying the bodkin will penetrate and inch or two all the time - depends upon where and how the mail is hit.

This makes sense with the crusaders experience with Turkish arrows - they may have many "sticking" in them, but either not wounding or causing a very minor wound. However, a heavy bow at point blank range would be another story. There was a story of a master of a fighting order being pierced deeply by an arrow through his mail - but this was likley a poit blank shot, which also matches Turkish tactics.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

Williams testing pretty patchy for this topic. First we need to all realize he a bodkin that was not the one we are speaking about. So we need to sort out type 7s from 10s. As well His testing was using low quality arms which should not surprise the results. Further much of the factors are left untold which complicates how valuable the outcomes are. But you are right a powerful bow would greatly increase this.

Matt,

Glad the point missed you then! I figure this is a slide rule like system.

RPM
William P

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Just a couple of caveats:

--Absolute inner diameter of mail rings might be a little misleading, since much of the space inside the ring is taken up by the rings linked through it. So an arrowhead 6mm in diameter won't go through a mail ring with an inner diameter of 7mm--the hole is already too crowded.

--How common were those needle bodkins? From what I've heard, they are very much in the minority, compared to broadheads.

--How dangerous is a point a few mm in diameter which is only sticking an inch or two through the mail? Sounds almost as bad as a modern "pinning ceremony", to me. Obviously puncture wounds and infection are bad!

--Just to be complete s.o.b., are we sure that all those wacky little bodkins are actually arrowheads? Any chance any of them could be leatherworking awls or icepicks or something else?

I'm not trying to dismiss bodkins as a threat to a mailed man completely! I'm just saying, beware of "superweapons", especially if the men who actually faced them don't seem to have reacted to them as if they were superweapons...

Matthew

my point is that i liken arrowheads like those russian ones having a same effect as the pilum shank (and from their shape i hope you can see why id think that ) when it hits a shield

maybe they just said stuff it and didnt bother trying to have arrowheads that could break the links open but just opped for ones that could pass with less hindrance, through the meshwork of the maile.

of course its not a perfect success rate but it has alot BETTER chance of even pricking the guy

also these are 10th century arrowheads unless im mistaken there is very little to no evidence of dedicated gambesons or padded armour among the scandinavians or kievan rus in that period
so maybe youd have no gambeson just a few layers of normal clothing maybe a linen tunic and a thicker wollen tunic over the top of that,

also i should point out that the previous image shows only a few of the arrowheads from the 10th century because the picture was so big i wanted to just show how it seems the rus and their neighbours developed arrows to better if needed deal with maile. and funnily enough,
but theres 38 arrowheads on that page with the bodkins... except for the ones i showed in my last post, all of them are broadheads of various forms.

this seems consistant with viking age warfare since alot of the rus's mounted enemies would be nomad horse archers or footmen like the fyrdsmen of england at the time, niether of those 2 groups had much in the way of armour if at all.

now against a maile link, that aint happening itll be stopped fairly soon unless it can break the link or indeed a few links if needed

but a bodkin can more easily exploit the admittedly small gaps in the maile. those needle bodkins can travel further in before they encounter a lot of resistance by having to break the link open

also depending on where your hit, 2 inches is alot it wont hit the heart but what about the various arteries and such?

also when I suggested this thing of a gambeson or felt over maile to resist bodkins bede dwyer, something of an expert on eastern archery in australia told me that tests showed a gambeson showed no real resistance to a bodkin, however i didnt get to ask about the nature of this test so it could be flawed.

matt as for whether those russian bodkin like arrowheaads are indeed arrowheads.. its possible they arnt but ill admit i simply dont know enough to say otherwise however,

also we have a guy who did tests online and he found the same, the bodkin hit the maile drove in until the widest part of the arrowhead jammed inside a maile link. but would still prick you,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fMUx7FvMG0

what i want to point out is how the arrowhead has the chance of passing some distance past the layer of maile before being stopped by the links, the longer and narrower the arrowhead the further it can pass into the targets body,

heres his description of some of the conditions
Quote:
The bow weight was a 56 pound (one of the horse bows that have come out of Hungary - probably the best cast of any bow I have ever owned). The range here was about 15 yards (as I wanted to be able to consistently hit the mail fragment).

The mail was the 0.0625 galvanized steel wire in 3/8 ID rings with round wire and pin rivets sold by The Ring Lord. I wouldn't say it was light compared to the replica stuff I am working on which has a smaller ring diameter, but it is somewhat more open due to the slightly larger ring diameter. All in all, I'd think that it would be more susceptible to penetration by the bodkin, but I have not done the experiment yet.

as some have pointed out in his videos the maile links are abit large compared to historical maile.

Attachment: 149.11 KB
russian arrowheads dated 10th century, this is the same page that contained the bodkins, notte how a majority of arrowheads are broadheads of some form...
which is consistant of the viking age where not that many combatants had metallic armour.. most bein
[ Download ]

Attachment: 180.01 KB
another page of 10th century russian heads [ Download ]

Attachment: 211.63 KB
page of 10th century russian arrows (not all may be of the kievan rus. some may belong to their nomadic neighbours.

as to whether all of these are TRUELY arrowheads and not leatherworking tools, no idea but i get the small feeling the author would have c
[ Download ]
Peteris R.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
So IMO, as long as there is not a weak or corroded link, penetration is difficult and will only be achived by longbows at 150+ draws at relatively close ranges, or the heaviest crossbows at similar range, those that require more than just a belt hook to draw.

What about the English longbowmen slaughtering French knights time and time again until full plate was introduced? I find it hard to believe that they could only achieve penetration at "relatively close ranges".
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In fact they didn't. They killed or disbanded the horses and stopped the charges.
Armourer-Artist-Blacksmith
www.magisterarmorum.com

Pinterest albums to almost all existing XIVth century armour.

Pinterest albums on almost all existing XVth century Italian armour.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille in comparison to scale/lamellar.
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: