Arma Bohemia Bayerisches rondel dagger
Several months ago I picked up a new rondel dagger from the folks at Arma Bohemia. It's inspired by an antique located at the Bayerisches Armeemuseum Ingolstadt, Germany dating from the first half of the 15th century:

[ Linked Image ]

The purchase was a complete impulse buy. Given that I'm trying to save money and downsize my collection to raise money to move into a new place, this was completely off-plan! It's a beautiful piece.

I've taken photos of the Arma Bohemia version this last week and thought I'd share them here. Check it out:

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

Click any photo to see a full-sized version
Very nice piece! I really enjoy seeing your collection Nathan. I have chosen to focus on late viking/ early medeival pieces for my collection. My second favorite period is late 15th/ early 16th century German stuff. You seem to get alot from that time so I always appreciate the pieces that you post. This one is no exception. Thanks for posting the photos. Oh, and you are a excellent photographer too!
Arma Bohemia put a lot of art and craftsmanship into that dagger (or is it your photographic skills that make it look so good? :D )

One thing I lke about that company is their practice of showing the original along with their re-creation of it. I wish more makers would do that.

Nathan, I believe that this isn't the first item that you've bought from Arma Bohemia. Are they easy to deal with, and are there any difficulties getting the object from Europe to the USA?
Love it, love it, love it (except for that little ricasso that the original doesn't seem to have :) ).
That was a piece entirely worth going "off plan" for! An exquisite piece of art.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Nathan, I believe that this isn't the first item that you've bought from Arma Bohemia. Are they easy to deal with, and are there any difficulties getting the object from Europe to the USA?

All my transactions have been extremely simple. PayPal the money, wait a week to 10 days, and the piece arrives. This is the service the Arma Bohemia provides. They act as brokers between customers and several small makers. They handle the interaction with the makers, the managing of the project, the shipping and all those details. They don't collect any money until the item is completed. It's quite simple to be a customer and they make makers accessible to guys like myself on my side of the world that I would otherwise never know existed.
Very nicely made looking Rondel and very different aesthetically with the wide and thick cylindrical " rondelles ": Does this make the Rondel feel different in the hand ?

I assume that these are hollow otherwise they would make for a very heavy dagger.
The grip looks like it might start growing thorns.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Arma Bohemia put a lot of art and craftsmanship into that dagger (or is it your photographic skills that make it look so good? :D )

One thing I lke about that company is their practice of showing the original along with their re-creation of it. I wish more makers would do that.

Terribly hard to deal with and I think you should avoid doing any business with them or...the...world...will...end!!!

In fire!!! :p

I'm not Nathan but I've done about a half dozen buys from them. All were smooth sailing. They speak good English. Bank transfers are simple (but not free). Communications were all reasonably prompt. In my experience a safe and easy firm to deal with and shipping to the US is no problem unless your looking at an oversize or heavy item (then the only problem is cost).
I did not know they were doing PayPal now...even easier.

They will subcontract custom jobs as well...just takes longer than on stock stuff!
BTW...brilliant acquisition.

If only I was not working on buying yet another bicycle I'd add something to my collection out of envy!
So YOU'RE the one who saved me!

I looked at that thing daily for about two/three weeks, but had commissions going and was contemplating "Scabbards by Tod"....

Beautiful, unique, great acquisition. Glad it wound up in excellent hands.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: