Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My EBE longsword hilt, 2012 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been waiting for the next installment of this story, very excited to see a complete piece.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 13 Aug, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The completed sword is enroute to me now. The hilt was created by EB Erickson a few years ago. Arms & Armor created the Oakeshott Type XIX blade and scabbard and they assembled the entire sword.

Attachment: 420.42 KB
ebesword01.jpg

Attachment: 393.85 KB
ebesword02.jpg

Attachment: 420.16 KB
ebesword03.jpg

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 13 Aug, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad that this project has finally been completed. It looks beautiful. I hope that you will have photos of the blade before long. A XIX - did A&A put in all the various etched grooves that this blade type often possesses?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the blade!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a hilt! The man lives in Thailand, is a high school teacher and is a "casual professional", yet produces the best complex hilts out there. Stunning work really...effortlessly accurate.

Nathan, a photo shoot with the blade is required!

Another amazing sword to add to your collection.

Cheers,

J
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm excited to see the blade, too! I think Craig from A&A wants to surprise me! Haha... I'll be sure to take some photos alongside my my other EBE/A&A longsword.

Craig mentioned to me that every time he puts together one of these 16th century compound-hilted longswords, he learns more and more about German Longsword techniques and especially how they evolved and specialized during that later period. These Type XIX longswords, in particular, have been super surprising to me due to a combination of factors I'll discuss at some other point.

I'll just say that the Type XIX blade, both in longsword and single-handed proportion, are right up there at the top of my list of favorite blade styles for swords.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just realized that Craig sent me some photos showing the blade. It looks great! I have to wait a few more days before it gets here and this makes it even more difficult. Patience isn't always my strong suit, but I do my best.

This one has a double-fullered blade with a hexagonal cross-section. It doesn't have a ricasso, which is certainly a defining characteristic of the typical Oakeshott Type XIX blade style.

I have another EBE/A&A sword with a Type XIX blade on it that has a ricasso and another sword which will have a Type XIX variant as well. With three styles of swords, I wanted diversity in the blades as well. I'll be able to share them together so that they can be contrasted, but they have to all get completed before that happens!

For now, here's this one:

Click photos for larger versions

Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those holes along the chaser lines are interesting. That sure isn't a typically marked and ricassoed XIX, but very nice. I wonder how much it weighs? I would guess around 4 lbs.

Good photographs by A&A.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Those holes along the chaser lines are interesting. That sure isn't a typically marked and ricassoed XIX, but very nice. I woner how much it weighs? I would guess around 4 lbs.

There's a ton of diversity with Type XIX longsword blades and the details on them. These details include differences with fullers and their arrangements: one to four fullers, with even more fuller diversity in their ricasso area. Incised lines are common, but not always present, and can be found in sets of one or two, broken or non-broken, and combined with circles, dots, diamonds, or other markings. Often, the fullers have additional markings within them such as stars or circles. The fullered area and incised lines will often terminate in another decorative element, generally a cross but occasionally a star or other shape. It's my opinion that all this often makes a stylized rosary.

See below for some examples.

Attachment: 79.27 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 78.08 KB
[ Download ]

Jerry Monaghan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan
Nice sword I bet you are sweating waiting for her to arrive
Any way congratulations on another fine sword

Regards

Jerry Monaghan
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great work from A&A matching that hilt with a blade worthy of it. What a finished piece!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I wonder how much it weighs? I would guess around 4 lbs.

I just got it... I've only had it for a few minutes... I weighed it and it's 3.55 pounds! It's 49" long and has a 40.5" long blade. This one's pretty damn nimble for the size!

Attachment: 352.35 KB
EBE_AA_sword.jpg

Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I weighed it and it's 3.55 pounds! It's 49" long and has a 40.5" long blade. This one's pretty damn nimble for the size!

It must have some significant distal taper on the blade.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great, fantastic addition. I have certainly learned to appreciate fine complex hilt swords from you. This is a great one, from all parties. This is a nice thread to document the work that goes into a custom reproduction.
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
Great looking sword ! Is this the longest it`s taken, you to get one of your EBE hilts,sword worthy ? 2-3 years for the hilt,
then 3 years for a blade. You must have the patience of a saint. I couldnt do it, I have the patience of a 1st grader :-)
Congrats
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
Great looking sword ! Is this the longest it`s taken, you to get one of your EBE hilts,sword worthy ? 2-3 years for the hilt,
then 3 years for a blade. You must have the patience of a saint. I couldn't do it, I have the patience of a 1st grader :-)
Congrats

After commissioning the hilt, it took ElJay less than a year to complete. He usually does concept to creation in the same 12-month period unless it's a very complex piece. He didn't consider this hilt to be a particular complex piece so it was done within a single annual time slot. He always delivers in the June/July timeframe due to it coinciding on his trip back to the United States during the summer.

I held onto the hilt for a bit before giving it to A&A to create the blade and scabbard and mount the completed sword. They took about a year and a half. They're not the fastest in the world and are often much longer than estimates (in my experience) but their work is top-notch and they understand a wide range of sword styles, types, cultures, time periods, etc. They really are at the top of the game.

This was not the longest time frame for a custom project of mine. I've had others that took much, much longer. I've also had projects that took makers (not mentioned here) far longer than estimated and once delivered were nothing like expected. It's those experiences that I remember wishing I was a Saint because they were so frustraitng. These EBE/A&A collaborations are easy in comparison!

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Nathan. That is a stunning looking sword. I have only recently started to appreciate these latter sword types and love seeing the complex hilted swords. As they say. Good things come to those that wait.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I admire the vision and conviction that it took to see this project through every step. The result is quite remarkable. -JD
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The completed sword can be seen here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32510

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a full image of the antique on which this hilt was based. We did not have a photo of the blade when I had the blade created for my hilt.

I chose to have a blade made from features that were of interest to me and created a sword the the dynamics I desired.

The antique is mounted on a true Oakeshott Type XIX blade with a ricasso and less profile taper. The recreation borrows features from multiple antiques.

I really like how the antique's blade had the fullers running so far down the blade's length. The twin fullers don't seem to have the typical incised lines nor the cross at the end as seen on so many Type XIXs. Interesting! That would have been an interesting variation or my collection, but I'm super excited with the outcome of this sword and really have no complaints.

As mentioned above, the complete sword of mine can be seen here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32510

Attachment: 422.9 KB
Sword1525-50.png
Antique Compound-hilted Type XIX blade, circa 1525-50

Attachment: 795.36 KB
Sword1525-50B.png
Antique Compound-hilted Type XIX blade, circa 1525-50

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My EBE longsword hilt, 2012
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: