Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Liechtenauer/Ringeck books... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Liechtenauer/Ringeck books...         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have owned "Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship" for about two years now and truely enjoy it. I am curious, however, as to what insights two other books can offer into the German system of medievel combat:

1) "Fighting with the German Longsword" by Christian Henry Tobler

2) "Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Long Sword" by David Lindholm and Peter Svard.

Has anyone had the chance to check these out yet?

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jeremiah,

I have "Fighting with the German Longsword". It is a distillation of principles from the author's study of many different sources in the Liechtenauer tradtion, laid out in a study guide format. It is an excellent book which complements Christian's first book very well. He goes into more depth over things like footwork and proper body mechanics, which is invaluable for an isolated student like me. The best parts are the drills showing how to practice the techniques you'll find in Secrets. The flowcharts showing the proper employments of and responses to the Meisterhau are cool too. A must buy if you enjoy Secrets, in my opinion.

"Tuitio fidei et obsequium pauperum."
- The Knights Hospitaller, 1130 AD
R. Laine

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lindholm and Svärd's book was discussed in this SFI thread about a year ago: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23021

Rabbe
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Liechtenauer/Ringeck books...         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Hi guys,

I have owned "Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship" for about two years now and truely enjoy it. I am curious, however, as to what insights two other books can offer into the German system of medievel combat:

1) "Fighting with the German Longsword" by Christian Henry Tobler

2) "Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Long Sword" by David Lindholm and Peter Svard.

Has anyone had the chance to check these out yet?

Hi Jeremiah,

I have both the "Secrets of the German......." and "Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Long Sword". I use them side by side. The Lindholm book has drawings which make understanding particular techniques mich better than static pictures, but only deals with unarmoured longsword fighting (no sword and buckler or armored fighting). I highly recommend it though. It has extra appendices with discussions from number of people including Peter Johnsson regarding swords, sword's properties and how to sharpen a sword and do test cutting.

Interpretations of the Liechtenauer's techniques also differs between the two books in a very few regards and it is useful to see these differences. Also when one book is unclear the other usually helps to figure it out. I would not rate one as being better than the other. I really use them side by side, and most of the time they completely overlap, but seeing the same idea described by different people help tremendously in grasping a more complete view of that idea.

I am about to purchase the "Fighting with the german longsword" book as well.

Hope that helps.

Alexi

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Liechtenauer/Ringeck books...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic