Questions about the kaskara
Hello all, I have been doing some research on the Kaskara and from what I have heard about their general quality and price, may be interested in acquiring one for my collection to use for both practice and display. My research has unfortunately brought me little information on their handling characteristics, which brings me to my question to you all. Can anyone here who has or currently owns a kaskara tell me the general weight and balance of these blades?
Mine is quite big - 35" blade, 41" overall maybe. And the thing is, the pommel is just a little disc of wood and leather, so there's not much counterbalancing that big blade - point of balance is quite a long way down (8" or so from the guard). But at the same time it's not very heavy, 2.5 lbs or so. It rather brings to mind what Oakeshott said (about type XIIIs I think?) being for delivering sweeping blows from horseback - that's what it's always felt like to me.

But take that with a grain of salt, I only have the one and haven't handled any others so I don't know how representative it is...

[ Linked Image ]
Kaskara by awrose, on Flickr
Thank you Rose :) , ill keep that in mind while investigating kaskaras. I may want to look for one of slightly shorter length for use on foot!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: