The Hanwei lowlander sword
Hello.

I am searching for my first two-handed sword with a sharp blade. My intention is to cut targets with it, primarily tatami mats, in order to test my technique. I've been looking at Hanwei's lowlander sword for some time, and I've heard many good things about the handling and feeling of it. However, it is also built with a hollow screw-on pommel to allow for easy disassembling.

How worrisome is this for the sword's practical durability? I've read about many bemoaning this design of the pommel, but I have also seen footage and read testimonies to how well the sword cuts through even resistant targets.

I'd be glad to hear some up-to-date input from anyone who owns, has owned or have otherwise been in contact with the lowlander sword.

Thank you,
Emil
Yeah I know of people who had had problems with the pommel. You can swap it out with a solid one easily and it feels better balanced as well.

Mine cut through a near 2' branch with no problem, on accident, then cut the target in half as well.

Fun sword. Wish I could find another one at a good price.

RPM
I wouldn't worry about the pommel as far as practical durability goes. Worry more about too much space between grip core and tang, which others have been worried about.

Solution to both: fill grip core and pommel with epoxy.

It's a nice sword. Mine has only done light cutting. I need to clear a little more space in back yard to have room to move it properly. Haven't done an epoxy fill on mine yet, but might.
I've heard at least one report of one breaking. Others have reported it is not solidly built. Searching for previous threads yields positives and negatives.
I second the concern about the space between the grip and the tang. I have one, and "for the money" its acceptable. I'm fitting a solid pommel and making a new grip for mine. I bought a threaded tube nut from a fencing supply place, and had a pommel machined for me by a coworker. Now I'm in the process of filing the hole square to fit the tang. It's a lot of filing. : (

I would save up for a lutel or similer. I like mine, but even when I'm done the strength will be a question mark. You know what they say, save up and get what you really want, and it will be cheaper in the long run. I know that it hasn't satisfied my wanting a functional two-hander. For me its a stop gap.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: