FS Merctailor AngloSaxon/Viking Shields,Bucklers,Price Drop
I have been sitting on 2/3 of a side of the facing leather and some rawhide left over from and outstanding order I owed for quite a while as I didn't want to take the $50-55 from other things to buy some 1/2 inch or 1/8 inch hardwood ply to use it up. Last Thursday at a garage sale here in town I came on a fella selling some pieces of 1/2 inch birch for $10 ( I got them for $8 eventually ) that were big enough to make use of and borrowed a friends vehicle to get them back to the shoppe. Consequently I have for sale two of the Anglo-Saxon/ Viking round shields we used to make and three of the 11 inch wooden bucklers we used to make.

The shields are made from 1/2 inch birch cross grained plywood, faced in 5/6 oz. leather, the back covered in hair on wool felt. The edges are trimmed in 4/6 oz. natural rawhide with steel clips at each joint. The full length grip bar on the back is made of 16 gauge mild steel, with wooden handle covered in glued and stiched leather. The hand hammered boss in 16 gauge steel, with glued in fabric boss pad, hand sewn, with wool felt shell and cotton batting filling. The opening for the grip in the shield is beveled away from the opeing for comfort. Shield has a 1 inch wide adjustable sling strap and is 29 inches in diameter. Like to get $240 plus shipping ( used to get $275 for these ) for each. Grip is blck leather rather than the tan shown.

The Type II bucklers are made from 1/2 inch thick cross grained birch plywood, faced in 5-6oz. brown leather with hair on wool felt on the back side. They are trimmed with 4-6oz. thick natural color rawhide with steel clips at the joints. The boss's are hand hammered 16 gauge steel and have a hand stiched boss pad glued in made from wool felt and natural cotton batting.The opening for the grip in the bucklers is beveled away from the grip opeing for comfort. The grip is birch, riveted to a steel strip, covered in glued and stiched leather. The edge of the wood around the grip is beveled and the grip opening in the buckler is rimmed with leather. The bucklers are 11 inches in diameter. I'd like to get $60 plus shipping ( these will fit in a medium flat rate box ) for these. Grip is black leather rather than the tan shown.

Feel free to ask queations. Paypal, check or money order is fine.

Attachment: 30.6 KB
round shield reduced.jpg

Attachment: 15.12 KB
shield back reduced.jpg

Attachment: 54.98 KB
shield grip reduced.jpg

Attachment: 75.14 KB
type 2 bucklers reduced.jpg

Attachment: 71.57 KB
type 2 buckler back reduced.jpg

Attachment: 132.59 KB
type 2 buckler back reduced close up.jpg

Last edited by Allan Senefelder on Tue 31 Jul, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
One buckler, tentatviely spoken for.
One buckler is sold.
Well this seems to have been one of my less well concieved plans. I can't really afford to sit on 4 days labor so i'll offer the Anglo-Saxon/Viking round shields for $200 plus shipping.
All bucklers are sold.
Well this apparently wasn't simply " one of my less well concieved plans " but a flat out horrible idea. I will lower the price one final time to $175.00 each plus shipping for the two round shields. If there no interest at that price, i'll make them my contribution to the Labor Day " Ring of Fire " bonfire at the lake.
By the way I already have one of these big Viking shields otherwise I would be buying this one: Just saying that at this fire sale price and with future availability being improbable it's a very much worth while purchase, and it's an extremely well made and robust shield.
I'm tempted to buy one for decoration. The problem is, I'd want it decorated with the Ottawa Swordplay logo in red and gold. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know much about shield decoration. Could this be painted? Would a leather-covered shield historically have been painted? Is there some other method that is better for this shield that would give vibrant colours?
Leather covered shields can most definitely be painted...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: