Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Handmade Scabbard: Albion Baron 7-21-2012 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Custom Handmade Scabbard: Albion Baron 7-21-2012         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury community!

It's been a while since I shared something with everyone here so I though I would on this fine July day. This scabbard features a double-belt suspension and the scabbard is russet tan with the suspension being cordovan brown. Everything is handmade and hand-tooled. The wood core is wool lined, and the leather is hand-stitched up the back.

Comments welcome!

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have never commented on your work although I have always admired your craftsmanship. Every scabbard you have displayed here is always breathtaking in the attention to the smallest detail. I have a knight that needs a scabbard and when I am able to have it done you will hear from me. Your work in my opinion is unsurpassed. Beautiful job. As usual.
A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Greg Bowen

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've really been missing these posts. I think your scabbards are stunningly beautiful, Brian, and I love seeing them. This one is certainly no exception. I would very much like to be one of your customers someday (just need to finish my degree and get a proper income, so I can start saving up--you're not planning on going anywhere in the next decade or so, are you?).

Thank you for sharing your craftsmanship with us all.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another outstanding scabbard. Your work is always top notch.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simply beautiful work ! Cool I was wondering..would it be at all possible to show a pic of this ( or similar) one from the back..with the strapping all laid out flat ? I'd like to try something similar..but am not fully sure of how it all fits together and don't want to waste leather. Good leather is too expensive to waste . I'm pretty sure I know how the belt's attached to the scabbard ..but it's the actual BELT construction I want to make sure of .
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
I have never commented on your work although I have always admired your craftsmanship. Every scabbard you have displayed here is always breathtaking in the attention to the smallest detail. I have a knight that needs a scabbard and when I am able to have it done you will hear from me. Your work in my opinion is unsurpassed. Beautiful job. As usual.

Thank you Jeff. I hope to one day have the honor to make you a great scabbard for your Knight.

Greg Bowen wrote:
I've really been missing these posts. I think your scabbards are stunningly beautiful, Brian, and I love seeing them. This one is certainly no exception. I would very much like to be one of your customers someday (just need to finish my degree and get a proper income, so I can start saving up--you're not planning on going anywhere in the next decade or so, are you?).

Thank you for sharing your craftsmanship with us all.

Thanks Greg. I plan on being around for as long as everyone will support me Wink I appreciate the kind words.

William Swiger wrote:
Another outstanding scabbard. Your work is always top notch.

Thank you very much Bill.

Ralph Grinly wrote:
Simply beautiful work ! Cool I was wondering..would it be at all possible to show a pic of this ( or similar) one from the back..with the strapping all laid out flat ? I'd like to try something similar..but am not fully sure of how it all fits together and don't want to waste leather. Good leather is too expensive to waste . I'm pretty sure I know how the belt's attached to the scabbard ..but it's the actual BELT construction I want to make sure of .

Thank you Ralph. Here is a picture of another scabbard's backside that is of the same setup.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet another wonderful scabbard. I looked up the Latin words, and for those unfamilier with it, In Hoc Signo Vinces translates as In This Sign You Will Conquer. It is the motto of the Knights Templar. It originated with the Emperor Constantine, who saw a vision of a cross accompanied by those words, sometime before he won the battle of the Milvian Bridge in 312.

I just bought a swordless scabbard from Brian. I was going to give it a separate thread, but might as well talk about it here. As you can see from the photos from his website below, it was made for an Albion Chevalier. I have an Oakeshott, which has the same blade and very similar guard. When I got the scabbard, I sheathed the Oakeshott into it - a perfect fit. Like all of the DBK scabbards, it is very beautiful. I think a sword collector should have at least one of these.

One thing about the DBK scabbards is their tight fit at the throat. If you turn it upside down, the sword will stay in the scabbard, a very desirable characteristic. Most scabbards have a looser fit, and if they get upended, the sword will slide right out, causing much embarrassment and inconvenience. A slight tug with this scabbard, and the sword can be easily drawn. I wonder if this will last? I had another scabbard that shared this quality, but after a number of repetitions in and out of the scabbard, the throat lost this ability. By the way, I have read about warriors "loosening the swords in their scabbards" before action so that they could draw quickly when needed. Now that makes more sense to me.

I have another question about the belt. After the forked ends of the belt have gone through the slots, is there a particular, Medieval-appropriate knot that should be tied, or is the old square knot OK?

Attachment: 127.69 KB
OAKESHOTT_SC2.jpg
DBK photo

Attachment: 115.23 KB
OAKESHOTT_SC4.jpg
DBK Photo
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian:

This is unquestionably a desirable scabbard on many levels, and most importantly, it suits the sword quite well.

For me, it's the little things that enrich a nice piece of work. The chape is subtle, well formed, and the broad stitching on the back really gives it a period look. Great job & thanks for showing it to us.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words Roger and Jon.

I hope you enjoy your scabbard Roger, for many years to come. It should provide you both a conversation piece, and sound protection for your Chevalier.

As for how I attach a thong suspension: I pull it back and form a loop around the belt. The friction from the leather going through the leather helps keep it from slipping.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Thank you for the kind words Roger and Jon.

I hope you enjoy your scabbard Roger, for many years to come. It should provide you both a conversation piece, and sound protection for your Chevalier.

As for how I attach a thong suspension: I pull it back and form a loop around the belt. The friction from the leather going through the leather helps keep it from slipping.

Congratulations on the " usual " impressive work ( Ran out of superlatives a long time ago Wink ).

Good to see how the belt works, but I also find the small belt/coin pouch very nice and beautiful in it's simple but flowing lines.

Hadn't noticed these on your web site before and it's one way for people wanting some of your work if they don't have the funds for a scabbard or currently a sword in need of a scabbard. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean. I can always count on you for kind input and complimentary words of encouragement Cool

The pouches are something I just recently started to offer, as I want to slowly start expanding into other leather offerings that aren't necessarily custom, other than color.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case anyone wanted to see the smaller details of my hand tooling.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
In case anyone wanted to see the smaller details of my hand tooling.

Sort of like with fractals looks the same ( GOOD ) at every scale. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful work. It is artists like you that inspire and motivate me to always try to improve my work. Thank you.
"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Handmade Scabbard: Albion Baron 7-21-2012
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic